Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default One day at a time....

A lot of people are struggling recently and I think it is a definite sign that we are not alone. I always struggle at the end of the year. I was hoping this year would be different but nope.

One thing I believe is if you want to institute a change in your life, then you need to continually work towards that change. If I didn't watch what I ate, didn't fit exercise and increased activity into my life and really didn't care about my weight, then where would I be 6 months from now? I'd either way more or I would weigh the same (doubtfully the same). If I do watch what I eat, fit exercise and increased activity into my life and care about my weight, then where would I be in 6 months from now? Well I could weigh the same but I'd probably weigh less than I do today. So my choice is to continue on and work towards losing the excess fat that I carry around.

Right now I'm struggling, so I'm not worried about "gotta lose 10 lbs" or "I need to make sure my size 18 pants fit looser" or any of that. I am focusing on each day and working back towards where I need to be. I woke up this morning and thought that I didn't do too bad yesterday. I didn't eat any of the chocolate truffles that were given to me as a gift. I snacked on fairly healthy items such as carrots and I kept my overall portions in control. So today's goal is to continue with my efforts and I will also exercise today.

So for everyone struggling, don't think about the year, the month or even the week but focus on today and what you can do today to improve your efforts toward losing weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

This is a great post. I can't think of a single health-conscious person who isn't struggling this time of year--too many temptations, too many emotions, lack of sleep, being on the run, etc.

One minute, one hour, one day at a time....
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
One minute, one hour, one day at a time....
I think the "one minute, one hour" part is even more crucial than one day at a time. I hear so often that someone has a bad breakfast or has a treat during the day and then just throws in the towel for the rest of the day ("Hey, I already messed up the day so it can't be perfect, so I might as well go all out and just start again tomorrow!"). Remember that every single time you move, every single bite/sip that passes your lips, every single calorie you burn or consume--it ALL matters.

Nobody's perfect--we're all only human. But throwing away a whole day (or even a whole meal if, say, you have too much of an appetizer or bread before the entree, so you figure there's no point turning back now) won't help matters. We all slip, we all falter, but it's getting RIGHT BACK ON TRACK as soon as you can that shows real progress and will head you toward success rather than the same old vicious cycles
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Nelie, you hit the nail right on the head! I am so disheartened to see all of
these posts where people seem to have little or no hope. I was there at this time last year. I was so down because I had done all of this work to lose weight and was doing nothing but backpedaling and I thought the world was going to end right then and there. And then I found this place

Jen is right, too. I consider myself to be a very healthy eater and I work out regularly, but I am by no means a saint this time of year. But it is one day at a time. I was packing my lunch yesterday and as I was putting some carrots and my salad in containers I laughed at myself for thinking "back on plan". Yes I had a full turkey dinner yesterday, but that was yesterday. Today I will have a really good salad and all my normal healthy fare and tomorrow will be much of the same and there it is- back to "normal".

If I am taking one thing away from last year's regression, it would be to just accept the fact that I will wander off the reservation from time to time, but I will always find my way back. This much I know is true.

I think people get so overwhelmed focusing on a bad day or a bad meal as opposed to what they did right the day before or the day after. It's a dangerous hole to dig to focus only on failure and not continued and consistent success. We can feel defeated from time to time, but we certainly don't have to stay that way.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: BMI:32.1/27.1/24.6

It seems like lately (even well before the holidays) I've been struggling daily.

Great post!
MissH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes Nelie, great post, very well timed.

I have been doing fairly well this loooong holiday season. The only thing that has saved me is the fact that I've had no parties or big meals at my home. I have not had to deal with me picking as I cook and the dreaded leftovers, which when left in my home are not left over for very long. I do have a huge New Year's party coming up, not at my home thankfully. I have had enough of the constant food fest. How much longer can I keep resisting temptation? I've had enough. I'm at the end of my rope. Why does every single celebration revolve around food?

I myself try to break it down into one MEAL at a time. One snack at a time. Whatever it is that gets me through the day. I find that at the end of the day when I've eaten well I feel as if I've hit the lottery or hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer and singlehandedly won the game. I know that sounds silly, but I feel it's a victory. So for me it's the one meal at a time, one day at a time thing that gets me through. It's not an easy thing we're doing. This weightloss stuff is difficult. But then I think it's not so easy being obese either.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Great Post! I have been soooo bad this holiday season (well at least the last few days) . Last week I hadn't really gained any weight back, but I have been out of town since Saturday and just got home yesterday and I feel like I have gained it all back. Went to visit DH family and friends in Wisconsin for Christmas. All they do is eat and drink up there and all I did was eat and drink up there .

Well I did good for breakfast and lunch today, but dinner wasn't so good. I am definitly getting back on track tomorrow. I'm not weighing my self until New Years day but I hope to be back at my pre-pig out weight . I am just misrable! I felt guilty the whole week end.

Back on track for me!
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote