Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #1  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Red face Constipation Issue

Ok, this is a little embarrassing! I seem to get so constipated, no matter what I eat, and I eat alot of fibre, and it doesn't help anything. I get so bloated that it feels like I'm not losing any weight at all. I drink lots, and have done all that, am I the only one that struggles with this? If you have struggled with it in the past, any tips to get things going again would be GREATLY appreciated!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:42 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have also had this problem, no matter what type of "diet" program that I have been on. I drink a lot of water, eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. I thought that with me, that it was due to having had several abdominal surgeries. I take daily fiber choice chewable tabs to keep from being bloated and miserable.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Some coffee and a long run seem to do the trick for me.

In all seriousness, if you're eating right (lots of fruit and veg), exercising, drinking a lot of water, not taking any prescription meds and still having issues, a visit to your doctor is in order. Some medications and even vitamins cause constipation. For example codeine, iron and calcium can slow things down dramatically.

If you want to get things moving, try drinking a lot of water and eating nothing but fruit and veggies for 1 day. Meat sits in your gut and veggies & fruit help flush it all out.

Good luck!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:28 AM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Running...its the only thing that works for me. I dont run i dont go.

Fortunately I run a lot.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I do what Lilybelle does - fiber choice chewables. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit and drink a lot of water, but things don't move like they did when I ate a lot of lousy food. I just added the chewables and it helps. Good luck!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Genesis, you're so right. I forgot to mention that I'm on a lot of med's and that Multi- Vitamins and Calcium are two of them.

I sure never had this problem when McDonald's, KFC and Taco Bell were my "diet".

Last edited by lilybelle; 12-21-2006 at 11:47 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM   #7  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

I have the same problem. Drinking a cappucino or coffee works for me, as does eating spicy things like chili. Of course, that can be dangerous to those around me!
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I always had troubles as well and my diet is very fruit/veggie rich. I started eating a small bowl of bran everyday and it seems to have done the trick.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

My mother had that problem for years when she was on an extremely low-fat diet. Once I talked her into adding more fat to her diet, no more constipation.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, a little more fat might just do it--the right kind of fat, of course! Another thing that will help is magnesium. Sometimes calcium supplements have magnesium included for just this reason--because calcium alone can be constipating. Remember Milk of Magnesia? It's an old, tried and true fixer upper and it's still around.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW/253/CW231/GW175

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I always had troubles as well and my diet is very fruit/veggie rich. I started eating a small bowl of bran everyday and it seems to have done the trick.
This has also worked for me too. I was having Special K with skimmed milk everyday and for the first week this was fine but in the 2nd and 3rd week almost nothing. I had to detox to keep things regular (A strange chinese tea in the evening before bed and in the morning some salt water...this was recommened by a friend...it was horrid ). I've changed my morning cereal to Branflakes this week as a trial and everything is definately moving. I think i might alternate between the two each week...but it's so horrible...cos i ONLY drink water and eat A LOT of fruit/veg but sometimes things just ain't moving...this can be fustrating as i know to be healthy it is neccessary to get rid of waste.

Do you think it could possible be that we didn't provide our bodies with the right fuel for so long that this is what it's use to? I don't know but.... all i know is i'm gonna change it.

Try adding a fiber rich cereal to your breakfast or more water if you don't think you drinking enough. I remember i was told that to eat a lot of fruit is good but you need water to keep the fiber moving...who knows...hope this helps...
SlimmingWorldChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #12  
banned

take 2 tsp olive oli bf bed
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:18 AM   #13  
Tryin'

Height: 5'3

why were things 'regular' when we were eating fast food all day, everyday?
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #14  
mostly harmless

It also helps to elevate your feet when sitting on the toilet. Sitting that way puts you in a more natural squatting position and things just come out better. I have a small, lidded bucket that I put my feet up on when I defecate, and lean forward slightly so that its more like I would have to do if I were in the wilderness and had to go.

It's weird, but it works. I have a rectocele, so that makes going extremely difficult for me- but this helps even when fiber and magnesium don't do enough.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW/253/CW231/GW175

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by train View Post
why were things 'regular' when we were eating fast food all day, everyday?
Really?Not for me wasn't..
SlimmingWorldChick is offline   Reply With Quote