Old 12-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #1  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Default A new piece of research on obesity

Genes, brain chemicals, etc. and now digestive bacteria?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16296772/

Doesn't it still come down to how much we eat versus how much we burn? I read things like this, but then I think about the large quantities of unhealthy food I've eaten in my life. Sure there may be some factors that set me up to be an extra-efficient gainer, but I was complicit in my current state. I'm still the one with the fork in my hand and the will to put it down or the obstanance to keep shoveling. What do you all think about studies like this?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

hey cc
digestive bacteria or no digestive bacteria I blame the state of my body on nothing else but my own actions with years of lack of exercise and bad eating habits and am fully confident that I can change my body with hard work...
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am responsible for every pound that is on my body. Yes, I may be very short and therefore can't eat as much as a taller person, but I am aware of that and that's just the way it is. I remember whenever I would go to a doctor they would ask me "Is there anything wrong with your thyroid, perhaps?" My thryroid is fine, it was my brain that was the problem. I didn't have it in the right gear. And this bacteria thing goes right along the same vein. I just don't buy it.

I really don't know what to make of studies such as this one. I mean, why do they keep on looking for reasons for people to be obese? It's really not all that difficult to figure out. We all have different reasons that brought us to our obesity, but the bottom line is we've eaten too much and moved too little. I also think studies such as these give obese people reason to believe that they "will find a cure" for obesity, therefore not allowing them to figure out for themselves how to turn their lives around. In other words that they don't have to take care of the problem themselves, they'll just wait for a cure. And I'm afraid they're going to wait forever, wasting precious time to "fix" the problem on their own.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 12-20-2006 at 05:40 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I read this article this morning and wondered what it all meant. I mean, is there a way that pharmaceutical companies are going to be able to put a live bacteria into a pill or potion and market it? It sounds doubtful to me.

I agree what the other posters have said. It's not my stomach and the bacteria in it that made me fat. It's me (especially my brain and my mouth). I don't exercise enough (turning that around now!!!!) and I LOVE to eat!! In the past I've been able to rationalize over eating. All those things combined to make me overweight. It's been a year in re-training my brain and I still have roadblocks (like the candy dish on the next desk over!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I hate to be a poophead but why do we read this research and say, "But I only blame myself!!!" Defensive much?

A couple years ago they discovered that people that had never had a cavity had a special type of bacteria in their mouth that prevented decay. Being a person with LOADS of dental work (despite my expensive sonicare, my waterpik, excellent flossing and seeing the dentist every 3 months instead of 6) look at that say, "Whoa! Where can I get some of that bacteria?"

My point being is that science is science. What they discover today isn't meant to make an excuse for obese people but further science in the direction of why people react differently to the same things. This is the same science that reasoned why women react differently to drugs than men - not as an excuse (for women? I think not!) but for better medicine.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

You're not a poophead, Jessica! It's always interesting to hear different perspectives.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/254.5/155

Height: 5'6''

Obesity may has some to do with genes, chemicals, bacterias, etc...but more often than not, it all boils down to how much we eat and how physically active we are.
emily445455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 284/259/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't read stuff like that anymore. Simply b/c I lose my focus. I gained this weight whether I have fast/slow or good/bad whatevers. I know I am responsible b/c by changing my eating habits alone I have already lost 25 lbs. I think all those studies do is give people something else to blame for their situation. I am not saying that no one has genuine physical attributes that can cause weight gain, etc. but why dwell on something you can't change for yourself anyways.
thewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

When I was younger, I could decide to diet and poof...the scales dropped quickly. I always believed that losing weight was a matter of mathematics.....calories eaten versus calories burned. Basically, I do still believe this, however, I also know now that there is a hormonal chemical process within our bodies that can make gaining weight much easier and losing weight much harder. I am a 42 year old woman in full menopause due to a complete hysterectomy...take it from me...I know these things first hand. To give you guys an idea....I did Weight Watchers for 3 weeks...lost 4 pounds the first week and gained 2 pounds back the next week and no change the third week. Tried following the Slim Fast plan for two weeks. Lost 6 pounds the first week, then nothing for two more weeks. Tried Dr. Phil's diet plan....lost 8 pounds the first week...2 pounds the next week...then nothing for 3 more weeks! I followed these plans to the letter and the scales would not cooperate. No wonder I got so discouraged!
Finally....tried South Beach...and this plan works for me. I believe this is because so many menopausal women have insulin resistance...so, not eating starches and table sugar seem to do the trick for my body. Now.....I just need to deal with willpower and motiviation and I'll have won this battle.

Digestive bacteria? Not too sure about this one...but, you never know.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote