Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #1  

Default NYC trying to ban Trans Fats!!

Here is an article on NYC putting a ban on trans fats. Go New York!!!

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/p.../APA/609262348
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I think this could be of benefit to everyone who dines out. It isn't always easy to know what is being put in our foods. Hoping to see NY as the trendsetter for eliminating trans fats at restaurants and maybe other states will follow.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #3  

If Americans were concerned about transfats they would be demanding that restaurants not use them. This is just like everyone saying the fast food restaurants didn't have anything healthy. When they tried, no one bought it and instead they made bigger burgers and people grab them up. Everyone has to be responsible for themselves and not expect the food industry to do it for you. And I do know what I'm getting in restaurants because I ask.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Way to go NYC!!!!!!!

The Federal Government of Canada is in the process of making legislations to ban trans fat Nationally. Smoking bans in public buildings, restaurants and bars is already in place in several cities here too.

Some people are mad thinking the government is interfering in people's personal lives by doing this but a lot of people are happy knowing that they will be able to make healthier choices because of the new laws and regulations.

I would be even happier if food companies were forced to disclose the use of genetically modified ingredients in their products too.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

I think it's great! I would also be happy with a halfway-there step of restaurants being forced to label which foods have trans-fats in them, and allow an option to have it prepared without them when possible.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Banning trans-fats doesn't "enable us to make healthier choices." It takes AWAY our choice. Canada is pushing for this law not because it is "good" or "healthy," but because Canada's state-supported health care system is in trouble and they want to stop having to pay for weight-related health problems. There's a push going on right now in Canadian government to just stop paying for obesity-related health problems altogether.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #7  

I'm sorry, but it's a horrible idea. I'm against fast food, high fructose corn syrup and everything else that is unhealthy for my body, but I value the fact that I have a choice in the matter. I don't like it, I don't eat it. We need to teach people about the food they consume so they can make informed decisions, right or wrong.
bubblevicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

It's a good idea but not realistic.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I try to avoid transfats myself, but I don't think it's a good idea to legislate what we can and cannot eat. Why not make them tell us which foods transfat is IN so we can make our own decisions?

I also worry that people will assume that the food is then "healthy" and that's not necessarily the case at all.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #10  
Opulent

I am glad that transfats and other highly processed and altered substances are getting (bad) press and that awareness is spreading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Everyone has to be responsible for themselves and not expect the food industry to do it for you. And I do know what I'm getting in restaurants because I ask.
It would seem that you are either really lucky or really naive

That is said with the kindest intentions, really, becuase I can only speak of how it is where I live and where I have traveled, people often have NO CLUE what is in the food they serve (even in fine restaurants or mom and pop places) and, having worked every position in food service I can say many people are not at all concerned with the quality or nutritional composition of the food they serve (mostly due to ignorance).

A great example: A local 'Spiritual' vegetarian place has always used a margarine with hydrogenated fats. They had no clue there was anything to be concerned about or that there was an alternative, and this is coming from people who are ethically bound to live an alternative lifestyle, not your run of the mill business person trying to make a buck!

I have been consistently disappointed with the quality of information, knowledge and service I have received at eateries all across the USA so I don't put much faith in others' ability (or desire) to provide me with accurate information. If others have better experiences then that is great! I just know what I have been through.
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Everyone has to be responsible for themselves and not expect the food industry to do it for you. And I do know what I'm getting in restaurants because I ask.
I guarantee that if you walked into a restaurant in NYC before this ban hit the news and asked if they used "trans fats" in their fryer you would be either told "no" or "I don't know" 99%+ of the time.

Why do you think you know what is in your food just because you asked?

I do think the "trans fat" question is something the health department should address, because we shouldn' have to inspect the kitchens ourselves, or check if the employees are really washing there hands after using the bathroom. This kind of thing is the department of health's job.

I would be okay with restaurants merely indicating on the menu whether or not they use trans fats, with large fines levied on violators.

The really important part of this health measure for dealing with obesity, IMHO, is the requirement to post calorie counts of items from the large chain restaurants. This will help dieters make informed decisions.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

What's next? Sugar? Alcohol? Nuts? White flour? Animal product?

I don't want my government governing my right to eat what I want to eat. You can't tell me that ANY restaurant in New York or elsewhere doesn't offer something that you can eat without making yourself sick. It's called broiled, grilled, steamed, poached, raw. Not fried or even sauteed.

Horrible idea.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAbsoluteDiva View Post
What's next? Sugar? Alcohol? Nuts? White flour? Animal product?
No, because they are not considered toxic additives. The "tipping" point here is when medical opinion has shifted to regarding trans fats as MORE of a health risk than naturally occuring saturated fats. There is no advantage to using trans-fats, aside from cost, with the exception of some low-fat recipes for baked goods.

High end restaurants and bakeries in NYC generally don't use trans fats, so I can't imagine that there is any flavor being lost from the ban. Thomas Keller will keep frying in goose fat, but KFC will have to find a trans-fat free oil, wich will cost a little more.

If it wasn't for the Department of Health regulating our restaurants, there are very few places I would dare to eat in, especially at the lower end.
Employees being forced to wash their hands after using the bathroom, washing dishes with hot water, holding food at safe temperatures, not putting toxic additives in the food etc. are, IMHO, good rules.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
No, because they are not considered toxic additives.
Alcohol leads to cirrhosis.

Sugar leads to diabetes.

Animal product leads to increased cholesterol levels.

Peanuts have been known to have carcinogenic agents which lead to cancer.

White flour contributes to obesity.

Not toxic agents?

Point is, EVERYTHING is toxic when not taken in moderation.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

From what I've seen on TV, it seems people can't tell the difference in the food when trans fats are used vs. when they are not used. So, it seems like it won't make a difference to the final product, so I don't see why anyone would really care. We're only better off, right? I mean, asbestos was a great building material for a while, but when they figured out it was bad for us, they outlawed it. Now we build with stuff that's just as good (or maybe better?) Who needs trans fats? People can still order their fried foods if they want! It'll taste the same, but just kill fewer of us.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote