Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/195/155

Height: 5'7

Default how much workout?

since i started i have been working out 5 times a week but only once a day, is that enough? I do a 20 min denise austin fat blast tape.
50lbstomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Let me start by saying that your workout routine is definitely a good start. Honestly though, my answer would be that you will need to try to step it up a notch, LITTLE BY LITTLE. My losses in inches and clothing size (though not necessarily in pounds) have really kicked up since I started exercising lots more (and a trainer at the gym recommended I really step up the cardio, which I was barely doing). Also, the cardio has become so much easier and more enjoyable (used to be absolute torture) since I've been doing it on a regular. You might want to try some variety as your body gets used to a certain work out and it not only becomes easier (and you will then burn less calories) but also more boring. Adding some weights will do a lot for your look and your metabolism. Also, just try on some days to do another DVD afterward or to do a longer DVD. This might not be possible now, but as you get in better shape, you will need to kick up the time or intensity so that you keep progressing. I started out on the cardio machines burning 150 calories per work out (so they say on the machine but even if not accurate it is a measure) a few months ago, I then stepped it up to burning 300 calories, then the following week 350, then last week I started burning 500 calories at each work out. I also do some weights during my work out, but I only do 4 days (sometimes 3), rather than 5 like you. But I do walk about 1 mile per day to get to and from work. My point is, your current work out sounds like a great starting point, but just remember that you will need to do more as your body becomes more aerobically efficient. But just keeping it up is probably the most important advice!
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #3  

This is something i've been trying to figure out as well. I've been going to the gym and working out for a good 30-40 minutes (mostly on the eliptical machine, but often i do a warm-up/cool-down few laps around the track above the pools). I do this 5 days a week. On day 6 i spend at least an hour or two swimming with my 2 year old. Day 7 i make sure to take my 2 year old outside for a walk, or to play in the snow.

I'm wondering if this is enough/too much/ not the right combination of workouts i should be doing. Anyone have any ideas?
Saoirsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Sao, that sounds like a very good workout; I also mainly do the elliptical and you do get a good work out on that. I was wondering when you plan to add weights to your routine? To me, weights are what really makes one's body look good and one's metabolism operate most efficiently (at least that has been the case for me over the past decade). Your muscles and bones start to deplete once you are in your late 20's (or so) so adding weights allows you to prevent/counteract this aging of the body. Check out the weight lifting forum, there's a sticky on its benefits. It is intimidating starting out, but if you can get a trainer to show you how to use the machines, you could start out doing a quick full body work out using machines only maybe 2 times per week. Later on you can move on to the free weights, which most experienced lifters prefer. Anyway, just a suggestion to help you not only get way more weight off but to help keep it off with the added muscle (and consequential increased metabolism).
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #5  

Thank you. So do you think that i should start trying to work out more than once a day. like a arobics tape and the treadmill for example?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Your workout is a great start. But as you get in better shape, you will need to increase the time and vary the workouts. Weight lifting is essential, because it will build your muscles and therefore burn more fat.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #7  

i would love to start lifting weight, but i cant afford to buy any or to go to a gym. and i have no time to go to the gym anyway being a single mom with full time job. any suggestion?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Free weights. They are cheap and you can get them at wal-mart. Start out with 5 lbs, and work your way up once they get too easy. Shape magazine and Women's Health has weight lifting routines in most editions that will teach you what to do. You can probably find some plans/instructions online as well.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/159/148

Height: 5'6"

There are a lot of exercises you can do that just use body weight resistance, like squats and push-ups. I bookmarked this site a while back. Check out the 4 week training program. I haven't tried it, but it looked interesting to me and doesn't involve any weights.
http://www.netfit.co.uk/wkmen.htm

The other thing I've noticed a lot on the forum is that a lot of people set goals for how much exercise they want to accomplish in a month. You are doing 5 days a week at 20 mins, so around 400 minutes a month. Maybe in Jan. you try to do 500 minutes.
Spideranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I suggest you check out the exercise forum -- including the "ladies and gents who lift" forum... great info there. Read read read!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Someone may have already said this, but you should gradually increase your cardio both in intensity and in length. I started with 20 minutes of cardio for a few weeks, then went to 23, then to 25 and so on. Now I do fifty minutes to an hour of cardio six days a week unless I'm running, because that's more intense -- with that, I do it for 30 to 40 minutes. I need to do more weight lifting myself, but the suggestions otehrs have made for that are good -- just buy some 3-pound weights and some 5-pound weights to get you started. You can find lots of dumbbell exercises on the internet, in books, and in magazines. I'm focusing mostly on the cardio now but I know strength training is important too.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post
Sao, that sounds like a very good workout; I also mainly do the elliptical and you do get a good work out on that. I was wondering when you plan to add weights to your routine? To me, weights are what really makes one's body look good and one's metabolism operate most efficiently (at least that has been the case for me over the past decade). Your muscles and bones start to deplete once you are in your late 20's (or so) so adding weights allows you to prevent/counteract this aging of the body. Check out the weight lifting forum, there's a sticky on its benefits. It is intimidating starting out, but if you can get a trainer to show you how to use the machines, you could start out doing a quick full body work out using machines only maybe 2 times per week. Later on you can move on to the free weights, which most experienced lifters prefer. Anyway, just a suggestion to help you not only get way more weight off but to help keep it off with the added muscle (and consequential increased metabolism).
Mami this is great advice! And thank you for taking the time. I guess my biggest problem is, not only did it take a lot of guts for me to even GO to the gym, but i don't know the first thing about weight training. I can't afford a trainer, and at the gym i'm going to, they're just highschool kids at the front desk, they can't really help you learn stuff. I'm definately intimidated by it all, but i think what you have said makes sense, and i've also wondered if weights would be beneficial, just because with young skin i know it could potentially be tightened up with the right exercise, so that i hopefully wouldn't need surgery to remove excess skin and etc.

I'm not exactly sure where to start, but i'll go poking around in some other threads and see what i can come up with. Thank you again!
Saoirsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:41 PM   #13  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

How much you workout out depends on your fitness goals. Frankly I wanted a routine that I could keep even if I became super busy.

I was extremely out of shape when I started and only did 15 minutes on the treadmill. As my fitness progressed, I added time and later intensity. Now I run/walk for 50 minutes five times a week.

Weight training is great, but not necessary for losing weight. It's something I'd like to do in the future. Unfortunately I don't have access to a gym and would much prefer someone making sure my form was okay as opposed to trying to mime poses in a magazine.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #14  

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, but my wife and I both have stayed in pretty good shape since we decided to change our lifestyles before getting married (My wife won Body for Life in 2004). I spend most of my time trying to help others stay motivated and make healthy changes!

There are a lot of great tips here I agree with! Some of what I've learned over the past few years may also help:

1) We need to start thinking differently about how we enable ourselves to succeed, rather than the obstacles. Instead of thinking how many times you HAVE to exercise each day, adopt a new mindset, that exercise should be a daily thing! It is an easy mindset to adopt, you just have to let go of your old way of thinking. Six or Seven days a week is only hard if we think it's hard - it is actually a very smooth transition if we come to expect ourselves to do it as part of our daily routine. After all, we consume calories every day, might as well BURN calories every day. (all within reason of course)

2) If you are not seeing progress within 3-4 weeks, it's time to really look at how hard you are working out. As many successful people have suggested, you have to continually progress! So if you are walking on the treadmill today at 3.0, it's time to try 3.1 or 3.2 -- once you understand that pushing your body is all part of improving it, the results will come faster than ever! Each step is more of a mental process, as we get used to exercising again, we then have to mentally prepare ourselves of each new stage of this journey. So often in the beginning, the barriers are more mental than physical - we need to start focusing on forward progress, in all things...diet, exercise intensity, exercise frequency...and above all consistency!

3) Mentally, when you are trying to stick to an exercise schedule, don't get caught up with having to do 40 minutes or an hour of cardio. If you have a hard time staying consistent and motivated, think of it as a goal of 20 minutes a day. This way, the mental barrier that a 60 minute time commitment creates is gone, and you can plan to do at least 20 minutes each day, which often leads to 30 minutes or more once you get started. It is understanding how your own perception of your exercise will relate to your consistent behavior that is important.

4) Weight training is what will reshape your body and increase your metabolism. If you primarily burn fat and do not improve your muscle tone, you may find it beneficial to start integrating weight training so you burn more calories at rest each day! Of course we'd recommend the Body for Life book (the original by Bill Phillips), if you want a pretty good plan for weight training...but there are many other good resources

If you are wondering if it is enough...you have to measure your progress so far, and how good you have been eating. Since everything is related, it is hard to specifically answer if you are exercising enough...

Good Luck!
SteveYu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 AM   #15  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

I dont go to a gym either. My November and December was rather slack for exercising and eating bad food and I have gained 2lbs in this time. Come January I am going to Swim for 2 hours twice a week, kick box on a Monday, cross train Wednesday and Friday for an hour each night and possibly weight train the last day.

140lbs by mid this year - thats about 14lbs - this is achievable?!
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote