Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:43 AM   #1  
Peachbody

Question On Double Chins

I've been lurking around the 3FC fora for several weeks, gathering up the courage from all the inspiring posts here to make the changes I know I need to make in my life. It's a wee bit goofy, but the question that finally pushed me to register is...

Is there such a thing as a general guide for when my double chin might disappear?

I mean like, is it known that once you've lost five percent of your body weight, you start losing it from your face? Or perhaps do you start to see changes in your face after twenty pounds lost? Or (tell me it isn't this one) is it different for every person?

I'm asking because that's my top priority. I don't own a scale. I want to measure my success in minimum number of chins (priority one), fitting more comfortably into my collection of work clothes (priority two), and feeling healthy and energetic (priority three).

How long do I have to work before seeing progress on priority one?

Thanks again from a previously vicarious newbie.

Geri
Dr Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I love your question and I'm glad you finally posted. But I'm not sure I have an answer for you.
I lost under my bra-band first. My sister lost her butt. I have a friend who only has belly left. It depends on your build.
But it will go ... it's just fat.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Susan. It depends on your body type. I tend to lose weight in my waistline and in my face first...and my rings get loose, etc. but my butt and legs are the last place to go...everyone is different. Basically, the place where you tend to hold the most stubborn fat, or your "problem areas" are the last to get slim. They get slimmer/smaller...but they are the last to get "where you want them".

For instance, when I lost my weight after baby #2-I had lost about 3-4 inches off my hips...but 7 1/2" off my waist.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #4  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Geri!

Welcome!

I've read in several books that we tend to lose weight FIRST from the areas where fat was added LAST. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, everyone is different. My legs and arms and middle are my biggest stubborn zones. I have always been heavier in those places, although I carry weight all over my body fairly evenly. My legs and arms and middle ARE getting smaller as I lose weight, but I'm guessing that I will have to get really close to my goal weight of 160 to see them be the size that I want.

I began REALLY noticing a huge difference after I had lost my first 15 pounds. Other people really began to notice after 25 pounds. A good test is looking at photos of yourself because you can really SEE the changes.

Recently I was going through old Christmas photos. I came upon "THE PHOTO" that forced me into really taking stock of my weight problem. I had this BIG CHIN and a very round face. I did not like what I saw. I know what you mean about the chin thing. It bothers me, too! My extra chin probably got a lot smaller by the time I had lost the 25 pounds.

I have a newly-thin friend who found that her chin was one of the LAST places to thin down. Her LEGS and ARMS lost the weight FIRST! I guess we are all SOOOO different!

I wish you much luck and success on your weight loss journey! It is a journey composed of all those on this site, and we are here right along with you! YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO THIS!!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My face and chin was the area that the weight bothered me the most. But, it was the first area that people noticed when I started losing weight. It seemed that even after the first 20 lbs. there was great improvement for me in this area.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #6  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

I think it all depends on you. That point about fat coming off first where it went on last is a good one. Do you have photos of yourself when you didn't have the double chin? If it is a fairly recent development, it might come off fast. If not, it might stay. I've seen some skinny people with double chins.

I've got one too... Following the rules about what goes on last comes off first, I should lose in my breasts and stomach, then face, back, and arms, and last of all legs and butt (which have always been and will always be big).
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

The double chin was one of the first things I lost!
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #8  
playin' for keeps

Dr Geri!

Ditto what everyone else said up there ^

Also, if you're not going to weigh, I'd suggest taking a progress picture every month. Take it on the same day, wearing the same clothes. As someone mentioned, it's much easier to see changes in photos than it is in real life. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be universal.

I'm willing to bet that by the time you see your 2nd picture, you'll have a smaller chin than in the first. Personally, I went from 4 chins or so to 1, which is a much better number for me. You can see the change in the link below my signature.

That said, the only way this will happen at all is if you make a plan and stick to it. No matter what. Good luck, and keep coming back here - these folks are amazing!

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #9  
Peachbody

Default Thanks

I really appreciate all your insights and supportive welcomes. I am looking forward to one day posting the NSV that I have ONE chin!

I am not entirely sure where I put weight on last, so it will be a pleasant surprise to see where it comes off first. I was so unaware of my body for so long.

Geri
Dr Geri is offline   Reply With Quote