Old 12-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default (re)starting low carb

Hi all! I'm restarting a low carb plan at my doctor's suggestion. I've lost weight on low carb (Atkins, Protein Power) but have never stuck to it. I'll start out, then be seduced back to a "balanced" way of eating. When I go back to Weight Watchers, I'll start eating starch and grains and I don't lose.

So...starting tomorrow. I've promised to stick to it for 30 days, to start, and will be posting to keep accountable (the shame factor, ya know ).

I'm aiming for under 60 carbs a day, and the closest to a plan is Barry Groves' "Eat Fat, Get Thin". Hope to get to know all of you I'm off to read your breakfast, lunch and dinner threads!

(As an intro, I've been on diets all my adult life and am now in my 50s. I've been 190 to 210 mostly, then began gaining about five pounds a year for the past 15 years and just didn't take it off. How dumb,, how dumb! But better later than never.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Xan!! You've found a great place for support!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175.5/162/145

Height: 5'7

I think the low carb is the way to go. If you eat lean meats and fish and
veggies, stay away from the white stuff, rice pasta white bread and all refined sugar, they never fill you up and your hungry an hour later. I noticed when I am low carbing it I am full faster and stay full. I also have more energy, because high carb food make you tired. You should have success with low carbing but YOU MUST stay with it or you will gain the weight back fast. It is a lifestyle and I think it is something that can be done for life. Good luck.
tryingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Zan and GOOD LUCK !!! WHOOOOTTTTTTT
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:09 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Welcome!!

You've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement!

When done correctly (get the book, read it & understand it), Atkins works. The secret is, never thinking of it as a "diet" you can go off of once you've lost the weight. This is a lifestyle change! You don't need to feel deprived, there are lots of great recipes here on this site and if you google Linda's low carb, you'll find lots of tasty recipes that will make it easy to stick to your low carb lifestyle.

Ypu CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

Xan, good luck and welcome
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #7  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Hi and Welcome xan!

Come to the Weekly Chat and let us know how you're doing!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #8  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks all! It's going well so far. I know the drill, having done this before, so it's just DOING IT. For me the pitfalls are not having something I can grab when I get hungry (like many people, I find on low carb when the fuel runs out, it runs out. Bang. Stop. And if I dn't have something I can grab -- chicken thigh, salami or roast beef slices, hard boiled egg -- it's too easy to grab something Bad. That, and planning, are the keys for me.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #9  
Baby Steps

Are you talking at home or at work when you need something fast?

I can personally say that the 1 minute muffins are addictive...and they're fast/easy to make. I'm going to try different flavors eventually. Had to cut them out of my "meals" as I was eating way too many

Keep up the great work!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #10  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks! I haven't tried those. I'm trying to stay away from anything that resembles "sweet treats." I've found they cause me to stray. Trying to stick to meat, eggs, fats, vegetables. The carbs come from oatmeal for breakfast, an apple and a serving of yogurt -- it really is South Beach with butter
Old 12-16-2006, 01:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

WELCOME again. Look forward to seeing you on weekly chat! We are all different, what works for one doesn't for others. If it works, we'll all jump for joy with you, if it doesn't it's a good place to get more ideas to help you tweak your plans. Stick to it and let us all know how it's going.

Again, WELCOME! Kel
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #12  
Xan
serial rejoiner

I wanted to thank everyone for the welcomes. I failed Bad cold, mild eye infection, and recurrence of an Intestinal Disorder I struggled with in the fall. Even my doctor was sympathetic. I'm getting back to normal now, but probably won't go the low carb route -- at least, not a recognized plan.
Watching calories with lower carb choices and No Junk.

Good luck to everyone and see you around the boards! I thought I should post this in case someone saw me on another thread