Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #1  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

Default How did you choose your weight goal?

I see pictures of me when I was 135, and I think I looked good there. Add on top of that "135" being the number that various online calculators say is the ideal weight for 5' 7". But who knows, I may change that as I get closer to goal.

How did you decide? When did you decide?
NewDay4MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/207/160

Height: 5'3"

This question has gotten me thinking about my ultimate goal. Although it is 135, I have started to think that maybe 135 isn't low enough for my height. Maybe I should aim for 125...I originally picked 135 because I was happy at that weight in the past (approximately a size 10, however, I'm now thinking "why settle for a size 10....go for a size 8".
MissieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #3  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

Originally my goal was to get healthy and fit into the size 16 dressy clothes I had purchased before gaining all the weight. I felt it was a waste of money to buy new when all I had to do was lose weight to fit into what I already had.

After making that goal, I wanted to get into a size 14 skirt that I used to wear in college.

Now that I fit comfortably in the skirt, I was shooting to fit into a size 12. There was a few months in college when I actually was a 12-14. However I look pretty good now at a 14-16 ,so if I don't lose anything else then that's okay.

As for weight, I just wanted to be under 200 pounds. I would love to make 183 in order to say I've lost 40 pounds, but it isn't that big of a deal.

Lately instead of worrying about weight goals, I'm focusing on fitness goals.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/148/128

Height: 5'7"

I am 5'7" also. My goal is 128. My dr. says that it needs to be 135, but I was 135 five years ago and there was definitely room to lose weight. I just don't tell her what my real goal is now. 128 is still in the normal bmi range so I consider it healthy. I've never been in the 20's during adulthood.
stopeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

When I first started exercising, my goal was just to get healthier, I didn't really expect to lose weight. When I decided I also wanted to lose some weight and started counting calories, I didn't really have a goal. I had no idea how successful I would be and I am hugely afraid of failure, so I didn't set a goal. If you don't have a goal, you can't fail.

Eventually I had to set a goal for some online tool I was using to track my wieght loss and I set it to 125. I chose this goal somewhat randomly without really knowing what I would look like at that weight. When I got down to 130 I realized that 1) it would be doable to get below 125 and 2) I wasn't going to be completely happy with how I looked at 125, so I decided to go lower. But I didn't really set a new goal, I just decided to see how low I could get.

My current stated goal is 115. When I was around 125, my personal trainer pushed me to set a goal (they really want you to have goals), so I randomly choose 115, mainly because it was far enough away that I knew I wouldn't reach it anytime soon. At this point, I'm trying to decide whether it is realistic. I've been maintaining at around 118 since August, but I also haven't been trying very hard to lose weight. So I think my New Year's resolution is going to be to either suck it up and admit that I'm not going to get to 115 or get serious about actually getting there.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDay4MeToo View Post
I see pictures of me when I was 135, and I think I looked good there. Add on top of that "135" being the number that various online calculators say is the ideal weight for 5' 7". But who knows, I may change that as I get closer to goal.

How did you decide? When did you decide?
NewDay,

I didn't really have a goal weight when I started, either. Then when I got down below 120, I realized that for my height and age, and for the lifestyle that I wanted to maintain, 120 was a weight that I could be comfortable and happy at. So if I go below that or stay there, I will be fine.

For a time, when I was really focused on how thin celebrities are, I made my goal 115. But I've realized that I was holding myself to an unrealistic and unhealthy ideal, and that restricting myself to the point where I could get that low only led to extreme mood swings and bingeing.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am 5'7 and 46 yrs. old. My Dr. set my wt. goal at 150 and I chose to go for 145. When I got to 145, I found that I was still losing a little more weight. I am trying to maintain at 140-145. This seems doable for me. I have gotten as low as 136, but can't seem to maintain in the 130's. I am fine with my current weight if no more comes off.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 AM   #8  

I'm 5' 3" and turning 40 in Feb. (arrgh..that's another post lol) My doctor and I discussed it and agreed that 135 would be a good goal for me at my age and with my body type. We can always revisit that when I get closer, for now it's just something to shoot for right now.
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

When I started dieting last February, I didn't really have a goal. I mainly just wanted to lose weight and get healthier and hopefully fit into my size 12 clothes. Then I really got into exercise and healthy eating and it was easier to just stay with the program and keep losing. I set my goal at 140 a few months ago because that seemed like a reasonable weight for my height and seemed like a weight I could maintain without having to be too terribly restrictive. Now I'm wondering if it should be more like 135 but I think I am just going to shoot for 140 and try and maintain there for a while before deciding to lose more. Besides, I've been buying a bunch of clothes, size 6, and I don't want them to start bagging on me! As far as deciding on what you should weigh, body type has a lot to do with it, but I think the 100 pounds for 5 feet plus 5 punds for ever inch over that is pretty reasonable for most average-sized women.
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I chose 150 because that was the lowest I've ever been in my adult life.When I get close to goal I may change it,or may not...depending on how I feel and how I want to look.I know that when I was 21 and weighed 150,I wasn't healthy.This time around is different,so I'm not sure how I'll feel as I get closer to my goal.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

It's right in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height. In truth, my real maintenance weight will be anything below 150, I think.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #12  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I didn't choose a goal weight for the first couple months. Now I've stated it at 140, which is the top weight for my height, but that's just a guesstimate! I haven't spoken to my doctor, or seen her, since the day I started WW. I do have an appointment today, so I'm a little excited to see her reaction when I hop on the scale! I'm planning to talk to her about what a healthy weight would be for me, then plan from there.
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I chose 135 as my goal for two reasons: 1) I had gotten down to 128 a few years ago and it was hard to maintain. I was able to maintain 135 for about 4 or 5 years before I gained. and 2) that's the weight on my driver's license!! As soon as I make my goal, I intend to maintain at 133-136 pounds. I'm 5'8" and 43 years old.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I don't trust those weight/height calculators because they don't seem to take muscle mass into account. Keep in mind that if you work out with weights, you might be much heavier but still "slimmer" than someone weighing less. I was a size 6 at 128 pounds (I'm 5'2") and I looked and felt healthy. And I didn't have to starve myself to maintain this weight (I ate at least 2000 calories or more per day). Living in New York City, you know your looks are going south when the catcalls stop (not that I'm encouraging them!).
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My goal is sort of arbitrary, for a couple of reasons. One, I've never been thin as far as I can remember, so I don't have any pics or experience at a weight i've been comfortable with.

Two, my family is built like lead. Seriously. My sister is just a shade under 5'2, weighs 160, and is a size 8 with a teensy waist. Her BMI is technically borderline obese, and she is a little tiny thing. For some reason, we are more compact than the typical person. Currently I weigh a shade over 200 lbs and several people who see a lot of people/weights (namely, my doctor and my personal trainer) have said they think i look like I weigh about 180-185, so its really hard to make an estimate of what the number on the scale will be when I get to a goal size/appearance, except that it will probably be on the high side of healthy for my height according to the charts.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote