South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #1  

Unhappy How do you continue when you're ready to quit?

I'm reeeeeeeeally frustrated. I did SBD in 2004 and lost 60 lbs in 6 months, then after falling off and never getting back on, I gained all of it back and then some. I have now over 100 lbs to lose..

I started back on Phase I this past Tuesday.. the first two mornings the scale went UP! Now it's just staying still.. I know not everyone will lose weight quickly, and I know I probably won't lose as much as I did in Phase 1 like I did the last time I tried this diet - but c'mon! not even a pound yet? Who cares if it's water weight, just seeing the numbers move a little is great motivation. I know you're not supposed to weigh each day, but I KNOW everyone out there likes to peek, huh?

Could my body just be resistant to SBD after the yo-yo last time? Compared to the last year, the way I've been eating for the past 6 days has been drastically better - and I'm also drinking all my water each day. Any advice? I don't want to quit, but it's really disappointing.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #2  

Oh FFNova-- I feel your frustration. You know the WOE works, you know how to do it... Patience may be the key.. we didnt gain the weight in 2 weeks and we aint gonna lose it in 2. Maybe you arent eating enough-or too much? Try to stay off the scale till Tuesday and see what happens.
Chin up You CAN DO this !!!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 AM   #3  

Firefly, I so know what you mean..I too have over 100lbs. to lose, and just want the scale to start moving and fast. It sucks but, like Schatzi said we sure didn't put it on over night ( I hate hearing that too but it's true)... give it more time and don't give up... maybe u will lose it slower but better than not at all.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Firefly, I've been "dieting" for 45 years and still haven't given up so a young squirt like you can't! It could be that you are suffering from yo-yo dieting but that will straighten out as you get back to eating properly.

The best thing you can do is check in here on the daily chat. I notice you have posted a lot of recipes in the past so you sure have the skills. Now it may be time to keep us posted on how you are feeling and your successes and deviations! There's lots of support here and good ideas. Try it an see what happens.

You did it once and you can do it again!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hey, Firefly! I hear you, hon. It's SOOOOOOOOO frustrating not to see the results of your hard work! I lost a ton of weight when I did P1 the first time, and I really, really, really think that's what kept me on this WOE (until I realized that I felt incredible...and that became the reward! ).

That said, I know you can do this. You know that part of the reason you're doing this is to lose the weight. But if that were the only reason, you might have tried something more drastic. You picked SBD again not only because it worked the first time, I assume, but also because you know how good you can feel when you're on it. You know how healthy it is, and you want to do what will really help your body feel better. I did some binging and spent two weeks out of the last month eating off plan because I was out of town. I've gained about 17 pounds, and it's amazing to me how much just that small amount has affected my body. Health problems I haven't seen in the last three years are resurficing. I can only imagine what would happen to my body if I gained back 100...and I know you can't have been feeling that good before you restarted, right? Just think about how good you are feeling now, and let that motivate you until you see movement on the scale. Okay?

In the meantime, do two things:

1. Run your day's menu by us here or through Fitday (it's free: www.fitday.com). Check it to see if you are either not eating enough or letting something through that you didn't realize would affect you so strongly.

2. If you don't get info from #1, try making an appointment with a nutritional clinic that has the equipment to measure your metabolism. The equipment I've used involves breathing into a machine for about 45 mins. It was easy and painless...I read a magazine! It told me so much about my body, how it's working (or not working), whether I was getting enough nutrients, and whether my body was effectively using them. A woman in my Food and Mood Group had the test done and found that her body was only processing about 400 calories a day even though she was exercising and has an active job! She had yo-yo dieted, starved and binged for so long that her body had become totally out of whack. She's pretty thin (she starves every time she's unable to fit into a size 10), but she's unhealthy, she feels it, and she's finding it harder and harder to starve back into her former size. She's working with the clinic to eat the right things (for her, lots of protein) to get her metabolism back on track, and it's working! So you may find that after years of dieting that your body just isn't doing what it's supposed to and you need some information and professional help to diagnose the problem. In the meantime, sticking to SBD is definitely doing the right thing for your body...it's healthy and it's going to help you stick to whatever you have to do to get the weight falling off. And it WILL fall off, hon. It can't hang in there forever!

Once you add exercise in P2, you'll have that extra support to drive the pounds off. Don't stress, okay? We're here and more than willing to listen to you vent!
Old 12-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #6  

You guys are all so wonderful thanks for the motivation! I know it's going to be a long long process, I just wish I didn't wait so long to get off the boardwalk and back on the sand, so to speak.

Laurie, I've got insurance issues right now, I just started college full time (another thing that's making this WOE difficult) and it hasn't started up yet, but I will hook up with a nutritionist or dietitian as soon as it does? BTW is there a difference between nutritionist and dietitian? I've been keeping my daily food menus in a journal, but I'll start entering them on fitday as much as I can.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #7  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Firefly

You sound like me. I have yo-yo'd. I lose weight and then eat like a lumber jack and gain it all back and then some. I always feel like it doesn't take long to gain it but takes forever to lose it. I get into really bad habits of eating bread and sugar in huge amounts.

At this point before I started SB over a month ago I was 100 lbs over weight. I actually could get surgery at this point because of my BMI. Instead I choose to make a life change. I know that I will never be able to eat like I used to if I want be a normal size. Over this past month I had to learn how to eat the correct way. That doesn't mean I don't ever have a bite of something...I just don't eat the whole thing. I also make better food choices now.

You can do this too. You just need to look at this in the right frame of mind. Don't think of this as a diet think of it as learning how you should really treat yourself.

The best advice is to just keep posting everday. That way you don't feel alone.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #8  

Hey Peas (cute name loll)

I thought about surgery, at least the lap band.. I went to seminars on it too, but I really didn't want to go to that extreme.. plus I remember when I lost the weight last time I was really proud to say I did it the right way and felt like I earned it.

I'm just going to stick it out, even though the scale isn't showing it I know my body is going through some serious changes inside, and eventually I'll start feeling and seeing those changes.

Thanks for your support
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I've posted like a million times today so hope people are not getting sick of me! Its quite slow at work today... Anyway, I feel your pain mami. I've been actively working out and dieting for the past 2 months. That's if you consider eating almost 2000 calories per day dieting..LOL. I decided to view that first month as just "renavigating the waters"; in other words, using that time as a learning experience to finetune my diet, get used to monitoring my calorie intake, drastically changing my diet, and getting my metabolism revved up from regular exercise. I agree that it is HUGELY frustrating to not see the numbers going down, and I agree that you should get a health assessment ASAP (when you get your insurance), but from a doctor, not a nutritionist. Perhaps you have a thyroid issue or too much insulin (which is what I'm currently being tested for; awaiting the results). In the meantime, just eat a lot of protein and other foods that take a lot to digest as perhaps this will somehow affect your metabolism. And track each mouthful as you may find you're getting too many calories. I'm no expert by any stretch though as I'm also losing VERY SLOWLY. Keep it up as there really is no other option is there?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #10  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Firefly

I'm glad to hear your sticking with it.

A week can seem like a long time while you are in it but after a month you will be surprized how the time flies. The first few days were hard for me too because the scale did not move...However at the end of two weeks I was really really really happy with the lbs. that I lost.

I have been on SB for over a month but it does not seem that long now. I have been really good at watching what I eat and only occasionally treating myself. I have a bite of this and that once in awhle...I don't eat a whole piece of whatever it is....just a taste will do. This way I don't feel like poor me on a diet and the skinny people can eat whatever they want...which is not true. Skinny people only eat a bite of this or that and throw the rest away. Believe me my son throws away enough food to feed a nation (it seems).

Better to waste then to waist. It's gotta go somewhere.

Don't give up...you can do this.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #11  

This link might help.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...=93470&page=26

I would also recommend The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:10 AM   #12  

Man, I am going through this with you Firefly. I have been on Phase I for a week now and lost 3 lbs. in the first 2 days and ever since I have not lost an ounce. I have stayed OP more than ever before and usually lose at least 10lbs. the first week, and I have been going to the gym 5 days a week. This truly sucks, but I am going to stick to it, I know if I quit I will be back on in a few months and wonder how much I could've lost if I stuck to it. I hate not losing.
I know it has only been a week, but I'm going by my history and this is just really odd for me. Oh well.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Firefly, it could definitely help to see a doctor too. Our local nutrition clinic has both doctors and nutritionists who work together. I am not sure of the difference between a nutritionist and dietician...but I think the latter is less focused on preventative health? Not sure...

Yeah, surgery is fairly drastic in that it takes so much out of you. I know people who say it's 'the easy way' but if you've ever met someone who's done it, you know that it's extremely hard. I have great respect for people who go through it and do it right...but it really should be a last resort. If you honestly have tried everything and nothing traditional has worked, then it's something to consider. In the meantime, keep trying!

If you aren't seeing results, post your daily menu here so we can look it over...many times something's sneaking in that you don't notice or you just aren't eating enough (who would think???). When I was counting calories, I found I wasn't losing at one point, so I ate 100 less calories the next day. That didn't work, so I cut out another 100 the next day. I did this for three days and saw no results (meanwhile, I was starving!). The fourth day I thought, "What if I'm not eating enough?" and even though I was scared to do it, I added back in 500 calories. I lost 3 pounds the next day. Who would have guessed???

If you've just hit a plateau, do a search in this forum and you'll find tons of threads with really helpful suggestions for getting your weight moving again. It can be really frustrating, but we all hit them from time to time. I think I've had at least three of them. I always lost eventually!

Firefly, can you see the school nurse/doctor now or do you have to wait for school insurance to kick in? That might be an option. Sometimes college medical staff are some of the best when dealing with food/nutrition issues as they deal with so many eating disorders! Good luck!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

One thing for me....since you werent supposed to feel hungry on SBD, I ate ALOT in phase 1. I decided to take them at their word and if I was hungry, I ate. I tried to keep snacks a nice balance of veggies, protein and a little fat, but I didnt let myself go hungry. This meant that for the first week or so of phase 1 I ate way more calories than I needed, but I wouldnt change a thing. Once the sugar rollercoaster cleared up, my hunger started to diminish and in phase II I started losing, slowly at first and then faster as I became more and more comfortable with the eating style. It took a month or so for me to really be comfortable eating an amount that was really a weight loss amount.

Focus on the veggies and hang in there.

I'm doing a modification of SBD now --call it phase 2.5 - so I am not over here too often, but SBD is definitely the basis of my diet.
Closed Thread