Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Paganchicks daily chat/check in - December 2006

Hello everyone!

Well Winter is finally upon us where I live and it is here with a vengance! Yesterday we had a mix of snow, freezing rain and high winds. I was soaked and chilled to the bone when I got home from work! BRRR!

Of course that gave me an excuse to take a nice bubble bath with a glass of wine and a book to get rid of the chill

What are everyone's Yule celebration plans this year?

We are thinking of having a Scottish/Celtic theme for our open house. I'm going to put my wreath on my door tomorrow and put up the lights on the front porch.

Food today was sketchy at best but I did have a lovely stew of Italian vegetables over couscous for dinner and I am about to indulge in a nice mug of mint hot chocolate.

Hope you are all having a good weekend!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:04 AM   #2  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

We're putting up the decorations tonight. Probably have some minty hot chocolate, Brandy Alexanders or Bailey's on ice and listen to Lorenna McKennit's Celtic Christmas CD. The downside is I have to give the study a thorough clean before I begin decorating! The bookshelves are a mess and seems many of DDs toys have migrated into here. Lots to do and here I am wasting time on the 'net! Hah, shame on me.

My food has not been so great this week. I think calorie-wise it's not over the top but quality-wise, it could definitely be better!

How's everyone else getting on?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #3  

Good day all!

I did 30 minutes of yoga this morning and had a lovely breakfast with wholewheat toast, one egg and coffee.

I'm having leftover couscous and veggie stew for lunch and some fruit as a snack.

Today I'm just doing laundry and a bit of tidying up and making some barley and vegetable soup.

We're having dinner with my parents tonight which will consist of homemade tortiere, potatoes, veg and apple crisp - my mum is an awesome cook!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #4  

Default Back on track soon, I hope

Greetings:

Had to go to Kaiser today because of what turned out to be sinusitis and the beginnings of bronchitis. I was already feeling bad because of the setback in the diet -- one pound crept back in the flu/cold/bronchitis -- and then I found out my blood pressure is way, way back up again.

I feel a lot of pressure to change but somehow don't really do it. And then when I finally do start, I got sick. I'm thinking seriously of doing the FitDay logs. That might hold me on track.

I really adore my work, and I'm proud to have such a responsible job, but I haven't worked out how to do it and be healthy. One thing I've thought of is having a day a week, usually Sunday, that I don't work on transcripts. If I have to like because of an expedite (hard work, but I'm very well paid for it), dammit, I am going to compensate myself for it. I am also going to try to stop worrying so much about money. The way Ted's going at it, I know he'll have a job soon, and it's a fact that we have savings to fill in the gaps.

Well, I'm feeling better physically. They zapped me with mega-antibiotics. I felt well enough to take a job for tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll feel well enough to start doing some walking, too.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #5  
American ex-pat

Hope you're feeling better and at full strength soon, Cathryn. I think to have only gained 1 pound while so ill is an achievement, not a failure! I've never done Fitday but I do know that when I journal and have to write everything down, then I have more success. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #6  

Hope you are feeling better soon Cathryn. Fitday is very popluar with a lot of people so it might be worth a try.

I've been off work for 2 days due to a stomach bug .
Old 12-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #7  

Well I lost 2 lbs over the last 2 days, not sure if it will stay off though.

I've stuck to simple foods today, oatmeal for breakfast, split pea soup for lunch, and I did get out for a walk in the fresh air this afternoon.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #8  

Default Healing up

Greetings:

Thanks for the good wishes, ladies, and congrats on the two pounds.

I was sicker than I thought. It was a mistake to take that job, and I paid for it. I am just beginning to regain some strength. I'm well enough to be bored, but I'm afraid of doing to much and getting sick again. Bleeah. And the extra pound has disappeared. Haven't had a lot of appetite.

Since Labor Day, I have totally overworked. I am also one to have a lot of holiday stress which I seem to be working through at least somewhat. I am viewing this as a wake-up call and learning what I can. I hope this determination lasts.

And through all this, I've managed to light the candle every day, if only for a few minutes.

Question: is there anyone else out there who would describe themselves as phobic about exercise? I have finally gotten to a place where I am ready to face this, and I'd love to have discussion on it.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #9  

I really don't like intentional exercise - can't stand doing aerobics, treadmill, weights, hate the gym. I took water aerobics for about two weeks but got bored.

I finally found something I liked - belly dancing! It's really fun, I love the music, I'm learning something and it changes all the time so I'm never bored. I've been taking classes for 4 years now.

The other thing I found that I liked was bikram yoga - my instructor is like a drill sargeant and I am so focused on the moves that I forget about work, stress, etc. and I feel great after it. I went to classes for about 3 months and I am going to start up again in January.

I am better at things that involve using my mind and my body such as focusing on moves and that involve music and learning something or I get bored and don't stick to it.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:37 AM   #10  
American ex-pat

That's why I love yoga, too, MauvaisRoux. It teaches us to focus on the present moment, to live in the now instead of worrying about things past or to come. The attention to breath, the most basic human need, is not only relaxing but rejuvenating at the same time.

Oooh, I've been lazy about doing it but also realize that I need to start doing an indoor exercise as it's just to cold or too wet to walk in the mornings any more. I guess it's time to pull out the floor mat AND my hip scarves! The funny thing is, if I say okay self, time to exercise, I sort of try and talk myself out of it. But if I just put on some belly dance music, I find myself bouncing and jingling all over the place without even thinking of it as exercise! Same with yoga when I find myself doing stretches just because they feel good (favorites being the pigeon, cow, cat and extended child - or even just running through Sun Salutation a few times at the end of the day). I need to start doing that with a more mindful attitude instead of just absently doing the motions.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #11  

Default Cathryn Checks In

Greetings:

The sinusitis and bronchitis are winding to a close. I still have a bit of a cough, but I feel better.

Two things I have realized over the last few days are: one, I utterly loathe being sick and wish to avoid it, perhaps even enough to begin taking real care of my health, and two, a lot of the problems/issues that I push through in my work would be solved if I was very healthy.

Bravo on the belly dancing. It sounds like a great way to burn those calories. Do you feel that you're getting aerobic fitness from it?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 AM   #12  

Default One More Pound!

Greetings:

Well, I am surprised and pleased to say that I just lost another pound! I guess my signature tells the story. Two more pounds until I meet my Yule goal.

I'm sitting here right now waiting for dawn and to see if the rain stops so I can walk before I have to get ready to go to my deposition. If it's just too wet, cold, and generally crummy for this California wimp, I'll see about getting myself going in the late afternoon when I'm done.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #13  

Glad you are getting better! And congratualtions on the 1lb loss!

Bellydancing is a total workout - you get aerobic exercise/heart rate goes up and toning at the same time and it doesn't feel like a workout to me as I get lost in the movements and the music. You exercise from your toes upwards so it is an all over workout. I find it has really helped me with my hips, butt and abs. It also really makes you aware of your body and what it is capable of, not too mention getting in touch with your inner Goddess!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #14  

Good morning all!

It's overcast here but very mild for this time of year and we haven't any snow!

I have just realized that I have not shopped for gifts, food or wine for the holidays and that I have about 1 week left! AAAAAGH!!! I've just been too busy with work, preparing for work on a film set I'm helping out on this weekend and the big move at work.

I guess I will be going out during the week and doing a shop til you drop event to try to get it all done by Thursday.

On a good note - I have not consumed any holiday junk food so far!

How is everyone else doing?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #15  
paganfroglady

I am getting better about dealing with the holiday junk. Our accounting office (just 6 people, mind you) has had two 5-tier gift boxes of fancy chocolates delivered, and they are currently housed on the low filing cabinet in *my* cubicle! On Monday, when they were delivered, I splurged and had some, it was divine! But I've been able to pass it up since then. I have been a little worried about holiday baking because my husband Jason always bakes large amounts of cookies for the holidays, but we are so busy that he hasn't, so I probably won't have to worry too much. And everyone knows not to put candy in my stocking Now if I could just find the time to fit in some exercise I would be doing pretty good!
Closed Thread