Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #1  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Holy macaroni! When did my scale get so off? What? It's not?

When did this happen? Over the past few years, you say? Get out! *Elaine shoving Jerry motion*

Aaaaaargh!

Not fair! I'm not beautiful, but I'm not hideous. It is rumored that I am bright. People seem to enjoy my company, as much as I might feel introverted and awkward much of the time. My health astounds the ladies at the blood-donation center, where nurses coo at my 110/70 blood pressure. But nooOooOoOo....here I have to have this urge to solve everything with food!

Okay, a reality check brought me here. I've always been in perfect health. My lowest adult weight was 180, when I returned from a semester abroad. I lost 20 pounds there because we walked everywhere. I was walking a minimum of an hour and a half a day! When I got back, my skinny friends were huffing and puffing to keep up with ME when we went walking around town. Kept that off for a few years, then it began creeping up again, stabilizing between 220-240. It was in this weight range that I trained with the Arthritis Foundation and walked the Honolulu Marathon.

Then I began freelancing. Staying home way more often. Eating way worse. I became withdrawn and in retrospect probably suffered a bout of depression. I got back into things and changed my living situation and have been much happier...but it never clicked just how much weight I had gained!

So about a week and a half ago I get a pain in my gut that won't go away. After about a week of this I go to the doc and she's all like, gallbladder, dude. I went for an ultrasound last week but haven't the results yet. I don't want them. We don't want no stinkin' results. Oh, I forgot, their scale said I weighed 327.

327? Me? Wow...you know...that explains a lot of things.
  • It explains why I have a hard time cutting my toenails.
  • It explains why (Until Oct., that's when I began working out with sis) I got winded walking to the mailbox.
  • It explains why I feel like my shirts are getting too short!
  • It explains why airplane seatbelts have gotten way shorter in the past few years.
  • It explains why that ring doesn't fit my finger anymore. No, I couldn't write that one off as metal shrinking. I'm too logical to accept that. Instead I just ignored it.
So I told myself, self, you've been working out for a few months. You've got a start under your belt. You know all this gallbladder information you've been checking out talks about poor diet. You might want to straighten that out a tad before some other health thingy comes up and really kicks your ***. You know that whole, natural foods and proper balance make you glow. Get to it.

Went back to Fitday (blew it off a while back) and began seriously tracking and shooting for a healthy balance, and I have been pleasantly surprised. I've always been wary of diet plans as they all seem to stick the same 1200-calorie diet on you, no matter where you start from. And that seems really weird to throw on a person who has probably been taking in 3k calories a day. But I digress. Fitday totally satisfies my anal need for science and data. I can know exactly how much of every nutrient I am getting. I can see down to the kcal how much what my body requires. So, I'm eating 500-1000 calories fewer a day than my body's maintenance needs. I'm still working out with sis. We love those workout videos. My gut still hurts, but not very badly at all; you know, right now, it's more my ovary that's hurting, which is fine by me!

Wow, I'm scared ****less to post this. You'll know exactly what I weigh. What if people I know online stumble across this site somehow? Zomg! Halp!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #2  

Height: 5.6

Thumbs up

Hi!

Well - you have taken the biggest step (and in my opinion the hardest) you are doing something about it.

I definitely understand the hesitation of posting the numbers - it is like the final nail in the coffin - "OMG - it is true". I think that I was 2 seconds away from a melt down the day I made my tickers and keyed in the numbers for the first time.

But - honestly - it was a bad call from the doctor's office that drove me here... I was always about "I can do this on my own and in my own time. I am not that far gone." Then that call came in and now I am a bit more serious about losing the weight.

This place is wonderful - there is so much information floating around and people are fantastic.

Good luck! We can do this!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #3  

Welcome Luminous! I definitely know exactly what you mean! Once you actually see the numbers, there's just no hiding any more. It sucks! It's surprising how many of us had a health scare draw us here, but it makes sense.

Jump in, post often, and know that you're in good company.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi there!!!! First of all I think it's very important to post your numbers here. You can't change what you don't acknowledge and you just acknowledged it to a whole bunch of people. Oh the things I have acknowledged to the ladies here at 3FC, but honesty is a big part of this weightloss thingy, you gots to get real. I think you made a very big step and now you can get down to business. The business of a healthier, happier, and more active you!
I'm glad you're here. This is a great group full of motivation, support and encouragement. Post often so that we get to know you. Check out our Daily Commitment Thread here at the 100lb club, very motivating and helpful. Looking forward to seeing you around. Something just tells me, maybe it's your "tone of voice" that you are going to be a GREAT addition around here!!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #5  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Luminous!

Welcome!

There seems to be fat denial running rampant these days. Check out the thread about mirrors a click or two back! I guess we all just get busy with our lives and our families and house stuff and work and put ourselves W-A-Y back there as a priority! Then when we have a few "extra minutes" we grab some ME time the fastest way that we know how -shoving a donut or a pack of cookies in our mouth as we speed from thing to thing. Enough of THIS kind of "exercise" and voila! FAT, FAT, and MORE FAT!

Then when we have a minute extra beyond cookie land we look in the mirror and see the person we ONCE WERE instead of the real reflection that is before us. This can seem to go on FOREVER!

I wonder why it seems to take more than a load of bricks falling on ourselves to make us really see what we are looking at in that mirror...

For some it has been a picture. I know that was MY wake up call! Also I have been watching Oprah and Dr. Phil recently and seen the trials of several women and men who have huge amounts of weight to lose so that they can live healthy lives. More and more information is coming out about the dangers of having too much weight on our bodies. It is a very scary thing!

I admire you being able to walk a marathon AT ANY WEIGHT! My son lost 75 pounds over the last several years and just ran his first one in September. His new and healthier lifestyle will buy him many more years of life, I am sure.

You will be able to do this! This site is FANTASTIC, and the people here are SOOOOOOO encouraging! There are many here who have lost a lot of weight and continue to support all of us here who are on our way to ONEderland. These people have TONS of ideas, and they KNOW what we are going through because they have BEEN there!

Post often! Read all the great tips and tricks from all the great posters here. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Cheryl
Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #6  
What's this button do?

Sigh, I guess I won't delete the post after all, thanks to all of your lovely supportive replies. Meh! Thanks though, and it's why I came here. Lurked for a few days and I was like, wow, these people are actually really cool and right up my alley. I'm having a great time reading threads and other stuff on site.

Thank you for the warm welcome!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

No, no, no, no young lady - no deleting. But it's partially selfish on my part - WE need YOU just as much as YOU need US. And I mean it. So please no more lurking for you - just get right on in here and post away. It really is doable if we all stick together!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WELCOME INDEED!

This is a great place -- lots of great forums, support, ideas. Rockinrobin is right, we all need each other. Your post reminds ME of when I started and can help keep me on track. My post might be motivating to YOU (though perhaps not this exact post) if I provided some awesome advice...

The 100 lb club is great. You might also want to check out the 300+ forum (another support forum). We talk a LOT, though. We also have a great exercise thread (if I do say so myself!)

It's great you're using fitday. I have the same anal need for science and data! And it sounds like you're being really sensible about the calories, too!

All in all, I think you're going to like it here!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

First, let me say and that you’ve made the right choice recognizing that you need to change you lifestyle. I totally sympathize with your situation. I have always been heavy but when I went to the doctor back in April and the scale read 300 pounds I came to the same realization as you and eventually after stalking this forum for awhile decided to join. I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss (fitday totally helps me out and like you I signed up for it, blew it off, then when I decided to change my life went back to it religiously).

I am also going to offer one caution since you mentioned that you have gallbladder problems. I after never having any symptoms, went into the hospital a few weeks ago with an unbelievable bad pain in my abdominal and back (I thought it was just back pain from an old injury but after a bunch of pain pills and a massage it wasn’t easing up), the pain got so bad I went to the hospital (which I’ve never done before). I was diagnosed with gallstones and sent home with a surgeon referral and a bunch of vicodin. Well I couldn’t wait the two weeks for the surgery and ended up back in the ER, then admitted for 5 days because the stones blocked my bile track and was causing liver failure. After an ERCP and having my gallbladder removed I was released and now am getting better. The reason I’m telling you this story is it’s not just genetics and weight that causes gallstones it’s also rapid weight loss. Cutting down from 3000 to 1200 calories is dramatic and could actually cause you more problems with your gallbladder then you would like. I think that had a lot to do with my problems, I lost 71 pounds in about 8 months, although, there is a little bit of family history or it. So I’m not trying to lecture or anything like that I’m just trying to say that you might want to check with your doctor or meet with a nutritionist to ensure you aren’t going to screw up your body more by doing it too fast.

Best of luck!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Welcome!!! Hopefully you'll be able to find this as grounding as I do (& I would guess others do as well). It helps me to keep my goals fresh in my mind!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Just to clarify. It seems Luminous is NOT eating 1200 calories/day, but her best guess at 500-1000 less than she would need to maintain her weight.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Oops I read that wrong. Sorry I though you said you were doing a 1200 calorie a day diet. But I would still say that if you do in fact have gallstones then it would probable be in your best interest to talk to your doctor about the weight loss so not to aggravate your gallbladder.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #13  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Luminous!!

This is exactly where you belong right now...and I too can see that you are going to fit right in here!!

SOOO happy to have you!

How did you do today?

Linda
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Welcome!

I have gall bladder issues as well but with changes in your eating habits, you shouldn't have to worry about them too much unless the doctor says you need surgery (I hope you won't). I don't always eat 100% absolutely terrific but who does? Anyway, at the beginning of this year, I ate some fries. The next day I had a pain in my abdomen. A few weeks later, I ate some fries again. The next day I had a severe pain in my abdomen. I went to the doctor, had the ultrasound and he said no more fried/fatty foods. So no more fries for me, even as an occassional treat. Since then, I haven't had any more issues.

I am positive that you can succeed at losing those excess lbs. It sounds like you have a great start so far.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #15  
What's this button do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by famograham View Post
How did you do today?
<3
Horribly but still okay! I ate nasty stuff like Chex mix, triscuits with cheese ball, a can of regular cola. Actually had a twinge of worry at the start when I saw the cheese ball and crackers come out, then told myself I'd keep track of how many crackers and estimate the cheese ball.

Same for the rest, but the Chex mix was trouble! I fell into the snack zone with it. I don't know if you guys have experienced this, but often when I begin eating a tasty snack like that, I'll enjoy it so much that I zone out and just get this weird single minded obsession to stick my hand back into the bowl. I swear it feels like my eyes glaze over too.

So anyway, fell into snack zone for some minutes but luckily the bowl wasn't very full and once it was empty, it was empty. Hey, I'm just proud I didn't ask sis to fill the bowl again! Still, it's a worrisome state of mind to fall into.

Exercise was fine, thought I was in the mood for it and sis wasn't (see my exercise blog for details, link is in the dropdown menu). Today is exercise-free. I ordered a scale from Amazon which will arrive Weds. I am anxious to get a baseline reading.
Closed Thread