Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

Question Relaxation eating...

This is my biggest problem after I get the kids to bed and sit down to relax and have some me time my cravings start full blast. I need to find something to fill in that time. I'm looking for some input as to how to stop this from happening. Any ideas???
Old 12-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, this is a huge problem. It's the end of the day, you're finally finished with everything and you wanna chill and relax and the first thint that pops into our heads is "Hey, I deserve a little treat."

Drink hot flavored teas with splenda, crochet or knit or sew or do needlepoint, come on the computer and visit 3FC, straighten up the house, exercise, dance, drink water, write in a journal, read, take a bubble bath, give yourself a manicure/pedicure. Eventually the cravings will stop as your body gets used to doing without that "nightime snack".
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

last night at around 9 I was starving, so I cut an apple into wedges and actually had trouble getting throught it. I also like to eat oranges and clemintiens at night because along with eating them, you have to peel them and it keeps you busy.
Good luck
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #4  
padawan

Height: 6'

I have that same problem. I'm so used to it, it's almost an automatic action. I like that thing about the clementines. Keep busy. I took up doing simple crossword puzzles. My hands are busy and so is my mind. If I can get food out of my mind, most of the battle is won.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #5  

This was exactly my biggest problem!! I would sit down every night and eat a container of Ben and Jerry's. Every single night! Even worse was if I bought a regular carton of ice cream, I would polish the whole thing off in 2-3 nights. The hardest part is breaking the habit, but once you do, it gets easier. I try to save some of my busy work now for nighttime, like folding laundry. Sometimes I even wait and do my exercising at night. It takes away my desire to have ice cream when I've just worked out.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/251/145

Height: 5'4"

I have the exact same problem. Even worse, my husband and I share the problem... so we don't really help each other. Lately I have been relaxing with a nice cup of coffee with flavored creamer or a cup of peppermint tea. I know it's not the same, but it's soooooo relaxing to me.

[QUOTE=mthrgoos68;1488518]I would sit down every night and eat a container of Ben and Jerry's. Every single night!QUOTE] I had to laugh when I read this because my husband and I used to sit down with Ben & Jerrys every night (we each had our own). The funny part though is that one time I was talking to a friend about Ben & Jerrys ice cream and I mentioned that I liked it because the containers were personal size (like I said, my husband and I would each sit down with our own). My friend then piped up and said, those are called pints. What an eye opener!!!! What I call personal size, other people call pints. Yikes!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #7  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi there, Colleen!

This became so much of a problem for me that I actually made signs and posted them all over the house which say, "Cheryl! You did GREAT on your diet and exercise today! DON'T BLOW IT BY EATING STUFF YOU DON'T NEED!"

Also, awhile ago I watched an Oprah show, and she mentioned that she eats NOTHING after 7:30PM- "...not even a grape!" The reason for that is that her trainer, Bob Greene, had told her that the body begins to slow itself down around then. If you eat, the body doesn't use the food...it STORES IT! Yup! STORES it! And we all know WHERE our bodies have STORED much of what we have been eating as we "relax" ourselves with food!!! After hearing that, it made SO MUCH sense to me that I vowed to follow her pattern. I have a cup of tea or as much water as I want, but NO FOOD after 7:30PM!

When I need to relax after a busy day I do whatever I want (read, watch TV, talk on the phone, exercise AS I watch TV, etc.), but I DON'T eat..."not even a grape!"

Believe me, it is MUCH easier because you don't have to CHOOSE what is good to eat and then get sabotaged by all kinds of stuff that just seems to jump in your hand without warning! You just DON'T eat anything.

Bob Greene explained that the grumbling sounds that you will hear during the first few weeks are your body getting used to the new plan AND your body burning fat. I don't really completely understand this process, but I CAN tell you that it definitely is one way to feel better about all the effort that you put in each day! I have kept off the fifty pounds that I have lost, and I know that this one thing has been a big part of me being able to control that.

If the grumblies get bad, just drink more water! You may be up at night more often to pee, but water is good for you, and I figure that getting up at night gives me some extra exercise, right? Also, Brushing your teeth after 7:30PM helps say, "Body! We're done eating! Get over it!"

Good luck! Hope some of this helps!

Cheryl
Old 12-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

We (my husband and I) didn't eat Ben and Jerry's - our drug of choice, oh I mean ice cream was Haagen Daz'.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #9  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I agree....night time is the WORST for me. I've ruined many a great day, doubling my calories in front of the TV.

Popcorn with white cheddar seasoning is my saviour when I'm on plan.

Linda
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #10  

These are all great thanks for the input I really like putting up the signs may be a picture on the fridge or a mirror ..Tea sounds really good to it suppresses my appetite so maybe I'll just have to stop and get decaffeinated of course.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #11  
Linda

HEY!!!
It's the invasion of the 5 footers!!!!

Linda
Old 12-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

That sounds like it could be a joke in the making. Three 5 footers log onto a weightloss website and...........
Old 12-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #13  
Linda

BEWARE.....we're sneaky!!!!!

Linda
Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

Sorry to break the 5 foot roll, but I wanted to add that I brush AND floss AND use mouth wash after I finish eating because then there's no way that I want to have to go through all of that again...

Wanted to add that Sundays are typically REALLY hard for me because I just want to eat and eat and eat... so yesterday I planned out 3 delicious meals so I would have something to look forward to and sure enough it worked! Didn't snack at all, ended up subbing a TB of PB for the turkey burger I was going to do and it was even less cals... YAAAY!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #15  

Thanks for the great ideas..Man I am having a bad just keep thinking about the oatmeal rasin cookies, chocolate cream pie & cheese cake in the kitchen. I just keep repeting to myself "This will not taste as good as being thin will feel"
The kids are in bed and I want to snack!!!
Closed Thread