General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Default What does everyone do to calm their nerves before a date?

I'm going on like a day-long day with an awesome guy tomorrow -- and I'm SO nervous. I've never dated a guy I haven't known very long before (the others I've been friends first - known for years), so I'm trying to find a way to calm my nerves (without food of course!). I actually don't have a lot of dating experience either -- so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-02-2006, 02:49 AM   #2  

I think it might be a cliche, I'm not really sure...but it works for meee:
before I'm going to see him or he's picking me up or whatever I put on some outrageously hyper and happy music and dance like a maniac for a couple songs. Once I've got my ridiculousness out, then I can play it cool haha, not really, I'm usually still ridiculous.

Good luck on your date!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

How about a long, bubble bath? A manicure, pedicure. Some good old-fashioned pampering.

Try to keep in mind that anticipation is ususally the worst part. When you actually do something it's never quite as bad or scary as you seemed to think that it would be. Also keep in mind he's probably just as nervous as you are. And it sounds as if you've got a headstart - you did say he's an awesome guy. And from whatever little I know about you - you're an awesome girl, very strong, determined, kind, helpful and intelligent. It's gonna go just great. Let us know how it went.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm all for a little self pampering before hand as well. I love salt scrubs and I recommend those for a pre-date shower. They make me feel so good and i buy ones that have a good scent. My recent purchase was a lavendar salt scrub from Trader Joes. I used it on my wedding day

As for dating guys you don't know well, I know it can be tough and actually it never worked for me. I could just never feel comfortable with someone I had not known as a friend before dating them.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #5  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

OOOhhhh boy, dating---sorry to say but glad I'm not doing that dance anymore!!!! I like everyone else's suggestions esp the hyper dancing one, I would use that to get my goofiness out of my system too. But I really like the idea of pampering yourself, because my confidence level ZOOMS when I know I look HOT I spend a little extra time on my hair/makeup, or a new top might make me feel special. Or a nice scent.

Yes, do come back and tell us ALL about it, where are you going? What activities do you plan for an all day date? Good luck!!! You are going to be great!

PS Nelie---thanks for the tip about the salts, I tried some at some kiosk once and thought they would be heavenly but didn't want to shell out the 28.00 for some 6 oz jar of the stuff, and have been considering looking for it at say bath and body works or something. Especially a nice relaxing lavender scent...I'm relaxed just thinking about it!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #6  
ugggg.....

Boy, I have been with hubby for almost 21 years now, so it's been a long time since I had to get ready for a date. I did the music and dancing thing like Carey and alot of time one of my friends would be there to help choose the "perfect" outfit after a fashion show and be there just to talk and joke--I did the same for them--I was the one that did everyone's hair--you would have thought I should have went to beauty school!!

Just look at the date this way...he's a new friend to get to know and from your posts I get the idea that you are a beautiful person on the inside as well as the outside. There is nothing for him not to like!!

What are your plans for you all day date?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I say all of the above and....maybe a half glass of wine if you drink it, or a few sips. I remember the dating and ugh! I always got nervous and wished I had had a glass of wine. Instead I did the dance/music and a lot of inhaling and exhaling, lol. Good luck on your date and I hope you have a great time!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #8  

Oooh, I like all the pampering ideas too! Being good to yourself/taking the time to be good to yourself is always so much fun.

I just thought of something else since it is an all-day date. Try different shoe combinations before you're going to meet him so you don't just grab a pair of uncomfortable shoes so that you can get out the door. You definitelyt don't want to end up with blisters. I've definitely learned this the hard way -- all the crazy dancing must have messed with my head.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #9  
Addicted to potato salad!

I would have to say taking your mind OFF the date until just before you are going to get ready. I know, I would torture myself with worrying about everything that could go wrong and would be wound up so tight by the time the guy came to get me, I must have looked like a doe in headlights.

But, call your mom or a girlfriend someone and talk about other things or go to the mall and shop for Christmas until just before date time...and look at it as an opportunity to get to know a 'friend'...not an opportunity to meet Mr. Right. BE YOURSELF!! Laugh and relax and pretend he's a new girlfriend.

My two cents...good luck and have fun!! I'm married now and I GLADLY don't have to date anymore. I hated dating. WAY too stressful for me.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

To be perfectly honest...

A glass of wine and some good music.

EDIT: A SMALL glass. I got picked up for a date by a guy who was so nervous he got hammered before he picked me up. It's safe to say I did NOT get into the car...
Old 12-03-2006, 12:54 AM   #11  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

SO was your date today? Please let us all know how you did, which I'm sure you were just fine.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Well, girls thanks for all of your advice!! AND -- the date was INCREDIBLE. BUT -- guess what happened to me on the way there? I got a $170 speeding ticket!!! How about that? So I took this as a bad sign -- and was crying by the time I finally got there -- BUT I decided to give what I thought was an ill-fated date and had an amazing time. I was SO nervous (plus still upset over my ticket) during lunch, but got so much more comfortable after we spent more time together. We spent 8 hours together -- we did lunch, movie, shopping, and dinner. He was such a gentleman and so romantic. I also had some bad luck with both of my lunch and dinner orders, but I decided I had to have some bad luck because I had great luck meeting this guy. I usually have even luck -- so it's got to balance itself out somehow.

And for all the wine suggestions -- no -- I can't handle wine at all -- I nearly passed out one time from having 3 glasses and I start stumbling around after one!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

OMG that is UNBELIVABLE - $170 ticket-ooish. It's funny you were trying so hard to calm your nerves and one of the most UNnerving things happened to you - I am so sorry . I am SO glad that in the end it all turned out well. A gentleman AND a romantic - sounds like a keeper, I hope it continues to go well for you!!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #14  

glad to hear it went well....I loved dating...some of the best years of my life...good thing I didn't find this thread until after your date....I was going to tell you to gulp a glass of wine...kidding....I liked all the pampering ideas!

Keep us posted.

Liz
Old 12-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #15  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

I'm so sorry to hear about your speeding ticket, but so happy that the date went great!
Closed Thread