Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:16 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default It's come back to bite me in the butt!

Hi y'all...sorry I haven't been around. I've been going through some health stuff. The sad thing is--all of my problems (or potential ones) could have been avoided had I dropped the weight years ago. Let me explain....

I have always been overweight, but surprisingly healthy. I had excellent blood pressure, no diabetes, no heart problems, just the usual aches and pains that come with being 100+ lbs overweight. Now, at age 41, in one fell swoop, I am being tested for congestive heart failure and diabetes.

I have always had one foot that would swell after being vertical for too long, but recently, it has been happening in both feet, so much that I can't wear certain shoes. My legs also ache a bit. What prompted me to go to the doctor was having difficulty breathing and feeling fatigued. After looking up my symptoms, I went in to see my doctor.

After an EKG, chest x-ray, blood and urine tests, my doctor said I MIGHT be having CHF. I will be seeing a cardiologist tomorrow. I've started a diuretic to help my body get rid of the excess water.

I was able to see my urinalysis results--my glucose was 500. So let's add diabetes testing to the list too.

All of this could have been avoided had I only dropped the weight long ago. I should have known my good health in spite of my size was too good to be true.

The moral of the story: Get the weight off now, while you still can...
Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh honey I'd better not be hearing an undertone of it being too late for you! It is NOT! A lot of your current problems can (in the very least) be lessened if you work at getting healthier.
Stick with us girlie! We'll help ya!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am really sorry to hear about your health problems. But you are under a doctor's care now and that's a good thing. I am sure you are in good hands and hopefully your health problems can be kept to a minimum or totally erased with the proper treatment. Good luck to you. We're here for you if you need us.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/251/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems. I have to agree with SusanB though... it is not too late for you!! Losing weight will help any health problems that you might be diagnosed with.

I will keep you in my prayers. Take care!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #5  
Im not fat im fluffy

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'3

im so sorry to hear about this... Just realise its NEVER too late... you can do it. you just need to be careful now...
Old 11-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for your support....

Susan I know it sounds like I have given up, but I haven't. I'm in a good supportive place with my 3FC friends and I know that NOW is the time to take care of this.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #7  
One pound at a time...

Jen, I am very sorry that you are going through these health issues. I went through something similar (albeit not as severe) that was my wake up call two years ago. You can do this, and we will be with you every step of the way.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Glad you're back, but I'm so sorry the circumstances aren't better. I've heard that losing even 10% of your current weight can help you feel better. You know we're here to help you through this, right?!?!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #9  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

I'm so sorry to hear about your possible health issues. But I'm so glad you're posting again. It's so nice to see a familiar face! Stick with us.

ps: How cute is that pic!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #10  
300+ Chick

Oh Jen Sorry to hear this of health problems occur. Am sending good getting back on track vibes to you. You can do this. Go Jen Go!!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #11  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Jen - I'm also sorry to hear about your health problems! One good thing is that he said it might be "CHF" which leaves the door open for "it's NOT CHF". There are a lot of things that could cause your symptoms and they're not all bad like CHF. I had the feet swelling (I felt like I was walking around on balloons all the time they were so swollen!) and the fatigue and it turned out that I just have Graves Disease. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't have the CHF.

Keep us updated!
Melissa
Old 11-29-2006, 07:25 PM   #12  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Jen keep your chin up hun! I agree that you can still get healthy!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #13  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Thank you for sharing, Jen! I for one need a swift kick in the posterior and hearing about your troubles scares me in a good way. I'm sorry you are going through this and wish you a speedy trip back to good health!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #14  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Jen
I've missed you, and was wondering where you were.

I'm so sorry that you have to be going through such a scare. Please let us know what you find out as soon as possible...now I'm going to be a worry wart.

Thank you for the wake up call, and I'm here for you.

Linda

Last edited by famograham; 11-29-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #15  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
The moral of the story: Get the weight off now, while you still can...
Oof.. So true, and it just makes me so glad I'm doing what I'm doing. I've also been lucky, but I'm just not willing to continue to play the odds.

Keep going though! You've already lost a lot of weight; I've heard that with weightloss, sometimes these problems just fix themselves! You're in my thoughts, babe!
Closed Thread