Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #1  

Default yo-yoing and this is getting ridiculous and really could use some help.

Hello. It's been a looong time since I've been on here. I gained some weight a few years back and it stayed on and then took quite a spike when I quit smoking in January. I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and I've been trying and trying for several months now to lose- and it's horrible. I lose a few pounds, I gain a few pounds. I've been going to see a nutritionist. She seems as confused as I am. I finally lost 2 pounds last Tuesday...I was so happy.

But I have this weird feeling tonight... like I've gained those two pounds back. And I'm soo angry at myself, at this weight.. It feels really bad.

I'm really frustrated. Two weeks ago, I cried in my nutritionist's office and really felt like an idiot. It's the yo yoing- losing then gaining. And all the while really really trying.

Anyone out there who has some perspective on this. I'm at wit's end.

wedded
wedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning! Oh please don't start this Monday moring feel awful. I'm encouraged that you brought your troubles here. We'll coach you thru!

Now ... tell me what you did to lose that weight the first time.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Susan's right -- Try to fend off the blues!!

Here are some more questions:

Do you write down EVERYTHING you eat -- accurately? That might be a good first step if you don't. A single tablespoon of peanut butter (16 g) is smaller than you think!

How many calories a day do you "shoot" for ??

And, if you're comfortable with it, what's your current weight? (or how much do you want to lose?)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #4  

Thanks so much for your replies. I do feel better after a good night's rest. The blues are less blue. And it's really really wonderful to see your support.

Last time I lost weight it was a very rigid plan from a nutritionist. 2 starches and a fruit for breakfast, 2 cups vegetables and 3 oz. meat for lunch etc. etc It worked, but it was just not very sustainable. Currently, I'm trying to count calories and keep a food log. I think I do okay with measuring- but you're right I don't measure finger foods like peanuts and Pirate's Booty- I'll start measuring those.

But one of the reasons my current nutrionist is confused is that my coloric intake is about right- 1500-1800 calories for my height- 5 feet. But I will mysteriously lose and gain, sometimes as much as 5 pounds between weeks.

I'm scared to state my current weight/goals because I fall into the category of featherweight. I guess I got some eye-rolling last time I was here, one of the reasons I left the forums- it was sad. And gained 5 more pounds right after!

But you know, us featherweights get frustrated too. I've been trying to lose 10, now 20 pounds for the last 2 years. I am asian and small-framed. I've been exercising like a mad hamster, watching food like a hawk. And the scale won't budge. It's discouraging. Makes you kind of hate food. If I didn't love it so much.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #5  

are you seeing a nutritionist or a certified dietician? ( you can read about the difference here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/foo...rition/AN00987 )

Sounds like a physical might be in order..and if you can get your doctor working with your nutritionist. I had similar frustions that you have until I finally went to a doctor that specializes in bariatrics. (On the board of Bariatrics for the state, has excellent background..not just a weight loss "clinic" doctor" ) You might find something in your hormone levels or other blood work that is making it hard for you to lose weight.

I told my husband the other day that it seemed to take a whole team of people to get my weight loss moving (finally!) the doctor, dietician, jazzercise teacher, and him LOL
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #6  

Well, you certainly could hang out with the featherweights.
But I have an extreme bias toward Body for Life right now

I'm going to do a bit of guessing here and you can correct or ignore me if you wish. But here goes ...
You've lost weight a few times by eating very little and doing cardio?
You don't lift weights?
You eyeball without measuring more foods than you think?

Let's start with that and I'll meet ya back here later.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #7  

Sorry, didn't see the message about the featherweight before I posted. You might want to check out the featherweight support group:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=197

(Not that we won't support you here too just thought they might have some good advice for you there, too.)
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Me Too! I gained weight while pregnant and cannot get it off now. Its taken me 5 months to lose 10 pounds (I initially lost 30 pounds within 2 weeks of the birth, but the rest wont go). I wasn't really trying that hard until about 6 weeks ago. I now log all food and exercise everyday. I was on a bit of a roll, losing about 1.5 to 2 pounds per week when I got food poisening. I didn't eat for 2 days, lost like 4 pounds, and as soon as I began eating again, I gained it all back and more. I didn't work out for a week because I was still sick. I am now back to where I started over 2 weeks ago. This sucks! It makes me realize that eating too little also does not facilitate weight loss. I think I'm losing the most on 1700 to 2000 calories per day, plus weight lifting 3 times per week and cardio 4 days per week. I have an appointment with a diet doctor on Friday. Hopefully she can help me get things moving. I REALLY want to look sexy this coming summer! Now I am basically invisible and I look older. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep in touch if you find something that works.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #9  

Hi! You know, I probably do eyeball foods sometimes. In the past I lost weight through that nutritionist's plan- very structured. and weight-training.

This time, I do more weight-training because of some injuries, and I do about 20-30 minutes of cardio. 2-3 times a week. I have a very active job as well.

I'm interested in losing weight- but this time I'm interested in losing weight in a way that I can just maintain forever. What's Body for Life?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #10  

It's a book by Bill Phillips and I've read Body for Life for Women by Pamela Peeke. I think it's a wonderful plan that just sorta sifts everything together for ya ... simple and plain.
There's a webite where you could get some pointers and we're working away on a thread here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98831

Everybody's welcome!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #11  

Mami I totally sympathize- the roller coaster does really really suck. It's that back and forth that gets you. the setbacks like getting sick.

I do wonder- maybe I should go to see a doctor. I wonder if my weight fluctuations are normal. I will look into that and bariatrics.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #12  

I just looked at Body for Life thread. It sounds interesting. But whoa- the cardio look daunting.

I truly thank everyone for their support. It means a lot to me. I wonder why it can't be a little easier- do A and B and you get C. But I guess life isn't like that.

Thank you and hope to post regularly again!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #13  

I know I'm starting to sound like a paid promoter for BFL but .... I can't do daunting cardio. I've never been sporty. When I first talked to a doctor about my weight he asked me not to WALK more than 20 minutes! The first time I tried jogging I made 22 seconds!
You can only do what you can do. If it's walking for 20 minutes with the odd faster spurt ... so be it.

I'll step down off my soapbox now
Old 11-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #14  

I agree- the thought of making huge fitness jumps scares me. But was that 2.5 hours of exercise 3x a week? Maybe I misread that on the BFL board.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #15  

Lawdy no! I would never have started something like that! The page I printed out calls for 20 minutes of intense cardio 3 times a week ....
Meet me on that thread and we'll see what's up.