General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Exclamation Headaches!!! Any Cures??

Anyone else here get sinus headaches when the weather acts up? Like a weather front coming through or something? How do you get rid of it quickly? I just take something, but sometimes even three pills won't make it go away. I'd like to see what other people do with these kinds of headaches. Cause it kind of kills me, and makes it hard to exercise. And I'm on such a good roll too!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #2  
Addicted to potato salad!

I get sinus headaches a LOT. I take three advil or motrin and that usually does the trick...but sometimes I get the odd headache that turns ugly and goes into full-throttle migraine. I even get the auras from time to time and leared FAST to take three ibuprophen at first glimpse of the aura because once that puppy gets out of my peripheral vision, I'm down for the count for at least a day. Only help then is to take the ibuprophen and to find a place in total darkness and quietness and with no other stimulation like smells fo perfume and things. Barry Manilow playing softly in the background is tolerable adn helps keep me from crying from the pain...which is important because crying makes it MUCH worse. Literally, I get to the point where it feels like someone is bashing my forehead in with a ball-peen hammer. Horrible.

Anyhow...There are prescription strength meds your doctor can prescribe that may give you that extra umph you're looking for. I know a lot of people think that taking too many pills for headaches isn't a good thing...but I say to them...suffer from a migraine and we'll see how many pills you take to end the pain!!

Also, eliminating too many stimulating things...such as too much sunshine first thing in the spring, dust, perfumes (especially scented candles and air fresheners...that type of thing) ...think allergens...and avoid them. Also a power nap helps me with my run-of-the mill headaches. Make sure you're getting enough sleep..that sort of thing.

Just some suggestions...hope you get help soon!!

OH...and how far have you been on your current diet plan? Sometimes a quick change in your eating habits can trigger headaches...such as cutting off caffiene in a cold-turkey kind of way.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #3  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I have changed my eating habits, but the only thing I've quit is candy and cake type stuff. I still have some now and then, but not like before. But these headaches I've been getting for years. On time in July a few years back, we had like 4 days of on/off rain. My head was killing me every day from afternoon until I went to bed. But I just remembered I have to take my allergy stuff. Maybe that will help. Why couldn't I be allergic to something like...horses? Why'd it have to be dust? Heh.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Sometimes I pack my head in ice. I'm serious. I will get an icebag and go to bed. This used to work wonderfully when I got migraines.

It works for my sinus problems as well. However, there are times when I get up in the morning and take my allergy pill because I know my day will be miserable without it.

Try some ice.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:03 PM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

Ice is good, or even just a cold wash cloth on your forehead. I've even tied a soft scarf around my head like a headband and pulled it really tight.

In addition to what cbmare said about the allergy medicine...taking a Claritin in the mornings when it's foggy, humid and the barometric pressure in your neighborhood is taking a dive may help to stave off any sinus pressure.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Headaches due to sinuses usually need a combo of Motrin/Asprin and a decongestant. The pain is because of the pressure of your congested sinuses. Taking a decongestant should help relieve the cause of the pain. Motrin/Asprin/any over-the-counter pain medication will help you deal with the pain. Just a thought! I would check with my MD, too, if things don't get better!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

I know this is going to sound really weird, but I find Tiger Balm to help, Rub a bit on your forehead and temples (avoid the eyes at all costs) sometimes i'll even put a little on my sinuses. Tiger balm, my favorite all purpose non-medication.
Excedrin works the best for me, 2 on a bad day 1 for a regular headache. But yes, you have to keep up with the allergy meds, especially if you use a nasal spray.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

The ONLY pill that takes out my headaches are Excedrin...and I can't take them while nursing. ::sigh:: So I tried a trick someone suggested and it works. I've had a bad head cold for a week and trying to remodel our home so we can move in and had nearly daily headaches for about a week.

Even though the headache is centralized in the eyebrow section, I keep an iceback on the back of my neck/base of my head. It has worked every time.
Closed Thread