Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 12:03 PM   #1  

Default Treadmills

Hi, I'm new and hoping to join you all!
I'm also wanting to buy a treadmill but am overwhelmed by the choices. I need to get moving and there is no way I'm going to do it in public so I think a treadmill, for me, is the way to go. Can you recommend anything specific? I'd like to spend only around $500 but don't know if that's possible. The reviews make it sound like you have to spend $1000s to get one that will last. I'm also not sure what the important features are. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Thanks a bunch!!
Old 01-13-2002, 04:11 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I don't know much about treadmills but I have heard that the ones that aren't motorized and fold up are not very good quality. I think if you go to the Runner's World site, I think it is www.runnersworld.com they might have some reviews. In any case buy from a store that sells gym equipment. I bought my exercise bike from this kind of store and it is much better quality than some of the cheaper ones I have bought at stores like WalMart. Also the staff are much more knowledgeable and can tell you the pros and cons of each model. Another idea, if you happen to have a gym in your town to go and try one out to see if you will like it.

Finally I don't know how much you weigh but I know all about being embarrassed to be exercising in public. I've had my fair share of people looking at me and the odd comment from some mentally challenged teenager. I got past this by telling myself that my health was more important than any of this garbage. I walk for my exercise, outdoors or at the mall and I think it is the best exercise, it is easy and best of all costs nothing.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:37 PM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I use the local Y and they have wonderful machines and a variety so you do not get bored. I find that theya re very tolerating with the overweight people and actully encouraging when you have showed up there for a while. That is myY so i can not speak for some of the others.

welcome to the gropu and join in any of the posts!!
Old 01-13-2002, 10:10 PM   #4  

Thanks for the info and the welcome!
I really need to buy a treadmill. I live in the boonies - about 45 mins. to an hour from the nearest anything.

I just don't have a clue as to what model to get. I've heard that a lot of people bought their treadmill from Sears. But, do you buy a high-end ProForma or a low end Nordic Trac for the same price?

If anyone else has any thoughts I'd really love to hear them.

Thanks again!!
Old 01-17-2002, 03:56 PM   #5  

Just adding my 2 cents worth to the treadmill question.........I'm a treadmill freak.....due to health reasons I use the treadmill insead of outdoor walking.

I love my new Nordic Track 1000 from Sears. Was $1000.00 and got it as an early Christmas present on sale for $749.99, it has 5 preprogramed programs, you can link it to iFit on the computer with the special cables and it adds more defined workouts just for you. There are cables to hook it up to the T.V and all sorts of different things. I don't have it hooked up to anything.. You program your weight and age in, and it keeps track of calories burned, you can take your heart rate......It give you an idea if you are in your target range and you can set your own programs.

As I've said.........I just love it and it folds up.....the best machine I have had and wouldn't give it up for a million.

{Patti} bye for now
Old 01-18-2002, 05:15 PM   #6  

Thanks, Patti!
I was just looking at the Nordic Trak. I'm glad to know that you like it!
Old 01-18-2002, 10:03 PM   #7  

I hope I'm not beating this subject to death and that someone can help answer one last question.

I've narrowed down the choices to one of the Proforms or the Nordic Trak 1000. Here's my dilemma: The Proform is rated to 250lbs. the Nordic Trak to 300lbs. But, the Proform has a stronger motor then the Nordic Trak. My hubby is 260lbs and is going to want to use the treadmill, also. I'm not much less then him.

Which treadmill is going to hold up better for us?

Thanks again for any input!!
Old 01-18-2002, 11:40 PM   #8  

Chocolate Rose,
If your going to use it to start a walking program with and not running the nordic tack is excellent. I added a 3 year extended warrenty to mine, to have it cleaned and in home service for repairs for 3 years. I hope by then to be that 100 pounds lighter. We had a cheap Sears model 20 years ago with 2.0 horsepower motor.........it lasted 4 of us 10 years!

Don't know anything about the Proform.......so have no idea their.

Did you go to the store and walk on both of them? I did with several models here and made my choice by the way they felt when I walked, listen to if they slow the motor down when you walk, just really check it out and get what you like. The 300 pounds vs the larger motor seem to average things out.

Snowball
Closed Thread