Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Default Full disclosure (long)

A little historical perspective..Like many of you, I have been trying for years to lose extra weight I gained during pregnancies. I would work out really hard, get my eating in order and start to lose weight. Numerous times, I would get to a setpoint, get frustrated, lose my focus and regain. Repeat.

In weight watchers, I would do great until I had to lower my points to 22. I couldn't seem to live happily on that. I needed to find a way to get past that bump so that fewer calories could support my weight. Or so that I could live happily on fewer calories.

I decided to ask my doctor for help. My plan was to get a prescription for Adipex. I would use the time I gained from being free of food obsessions to do three things. I would develop healthier eating habits, develop exercise habits, and work through my emotional eating issues. I was surprised when she agreed.

Since the end of August, I have tracked my calories every day in a notebook I keep in my purse. I exercise 3 or 4 days a week for at least 30 minutes a day. Now I actually feel compelled to exercise. I have read several books on emotional eating and can identify times when my impulses are giving me bad information. I've also lost 20 lbs. I plan to lose another 10 or 15 pounds.

Here's the issue. Coworkers are asking me what I'm doing to lose weight. I don't bring it up. I haven't talked about it at all because I don't want to get into it. I get weirded out when people talk about my weight (always have), so I want to keep it out of conversations as much as possible. Anyway, when they ask what I'm doing, I have said that I'm exercising, journaling and eating less (which is all true). I feel guilty that I'm not including the medication, but it's none of their business and I am putting in the sweat equity.

I feel like I'm lying in not discussing my additional assistance. The appetite control has helped me to make the lifestyle changes I needed to make. I guess my question for you is do you think I should be providing full disclosure to people when they ask?

Last edited by kateful; 11-17-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/148/128

Height: 5'7"

You are under absolutely no obligation to tell people how you are losing weight. Eating healthy and exercise is a great answer. Don't feel obligated or guilty to share any other info for them. It's a personal matter.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I can ONLY plan food properly and get up and exercise IF I take my antidepressant.
Do I include that in explanations? Nope! My mental health is none of their business.
If they ask about losing weight, I talk to them about those four things in my signature. That's how a body loses weight.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #4  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

None of their business. And honestly, most of the time when someone asks "how" you're losing weight, they're looking for the magic pill that will make THEM drop twenty pounds. Preferably overnight. You know as well as I do that that won't happen, so the answer you're giving them is absolutely correct. And kudos to you for doing what you needed to.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #5  
Domestic Engineer

I would say exactly what you are saying. Eating less and exercising more! And no guilt!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I agree that most people are just looking for the magic potion. Most people know how to lose weight, and they know it takes work. So when they see you doing it, they're hoping you'll say "Oh, I just spin three times and say a magic word before bed every night, and the pounds melt away!!"

It really is none of anyone's business. If you tell them you're working out and watching what you eat, that's all they need to know. They already know that's what they need to do to lose weight. Any extra thing that helps each of us individually is our own personal thing, and they can find their own thing -- they don't need to know yours.

I'm with you -- I've always been more comfortable just not talking about my weight. I do like the compliments from people when they notice I'm thinner, but I'm more comfortable when I'm not talking about the current status of my fat cells!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I agree with everyone else that has posted. You are the one making healthy choices to eat less move more.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #8  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

What Callystia said. They're not really saying "Tell me what you did", they're saying "Tell me what to do to get your results but without the work".
Old 11-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Thanks to everyone for your answers. I'll keep it to myself, then, and not worry about it anymore.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

I tell everyone "It's boring - exercise more and eat less." If they pursue it, I tell them my secret is "If it tastes good, spit it out" and I smile and let them think that one over.
I agree with the majority here -- people ask because they are looking for a magic solution. Just tell them "Eat healthy and get up off the couch" or better yet, tell them "Come for a walk with me and I'll tell you "
Old 11-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #11  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Or alternatively, if you're in a mood to be wicked to someone, make up a random word - say, "lophellicas" - and tell them that's what you use. When they ask what it is, just smile and walk away. See how long it takes them to Google it and figure out you were messing with them.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

If the people are some of those ones ... and you know who I mean ... I start a llooonnnggg harangue that begins with "About 3 1/2 years ago ...." and just keep droning on about counting calories, walking and exercising ... they soon drift away.

They are indeed looking for lophellicas!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #13  

Height: 5' 9"

I also took the Adipex a couple of years ago. It really helped but I couldn't take it for long because of my heart. I never told anyone I was taking it. When asked I just said "watching what I eat", which was true, and left it at that. My husband is now taking adipex and it is helping him get his eating under control. He's been on it for about a month and a half now and has lost 30 lbs. (Only 60 more to go). His blood pressure is way down and his colesterol is much better. I don't think anyone but me knows he is taking it. Anyway, like everyone else said, it's no ones business but your own.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

I believe meds in particular are one of those areas in one's life that are private. You have an obligation to discuss them with your health care professional and no one else. If someone asks you how you are, do you feel obligated to share the results of your last physical with them?
Closed Thread