Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #1  
just me

S/C/G: 320/294/145

Height: 5'7

Question Cardio- how much is 2 much??

Hey ladies,

ive recently started to really workout. an hour of cardio in the AM and then an hour a in the PM, along with stretching, abs and weights 3 times a week. is it to much??i would really like everyone opinion!!!
brat_61886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

So you do 2 hours of cardio per day, every day then 3 times per week you do stretching, abs and weights?

I would say that if you don't feel it is too much then it isn't too much. I would make sure you stay hydrated.

I've done a similar thing myself although it would be more like an hour in the morning of cardio, then something else at night, whether it was weights or yoga or what not.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Isn't there some threshold where if you do more than a certain amount of cardio all at once, you're no longer burning fat after a certain amount of time? I swear I've heard that multiple times before...is it a myth? I've never worried about it much since I only do 30 minutes at a time
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #4  
Just Me

Jill, I believe the general rule of thumb is you shouldn't do more than an hour of pure cardio. If you do an hour, then rest and eat and then do another hour, then you are fine. Of course there are marathon runners and such but I also heard marathon runners have the highest body fat percentage of any athlete because their body consumes their muscle.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #5  
Meg

An hour is what I've always heard too.

But honestly, if you have all that time to devote to exercise, how about doubling up on weight training and cutting back on cardio? So you're spending about equal time on both? That way you'll be burning fat AND building muscle - a winning combination!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I was just reading in a book that the daily recommendation is 30-45 minutes of cardio, and they don't know of anyone who needs or gets benefit from more than that. (?) I'll sometimes do an hour at one time, but I am usually making up for a missed day when I do that. However, this is probably EXACTLY what they do on the tv shows like The Biggest Loser.

Nel, really about those marathoners? They look like they have NO body fat at all! Wow.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #7  
Just Me

Fran, that is what I've heard before although I think it is partly because they really need the fat in order to run marathons. Of course when you are talking about athletes, highest body fat is all relative
Old 11-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #8  
just me

S/C/G: 320/294/145

Height: 5'7

thanks chicks. i might up the weights to 4 times a week. to be very honest, i'm still learning about the machines so im taking it slow with the weights so i dont injure myself.
i have been told that an hour a day is enough, but then u hear these celebs dropping 50 lbs in a couple of months so why not go all out if u have the time ya know???

i think my biggest problem is eating right.

Meg- damn lady u look hot now.
brat_61886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/173/140

Height: 5'8

just a note about the marathon runners. of course everyone is diff but i had to share this. My BF just did a personal best of 3 hrs and 41 mins for the NYC Marathon on 11/5 at the expo (where all the runners go to get their #'s and supplies) they had this for lack of a better term a scale that he stood on and it send some sort of pulse through your bdy and it measure stuff liek BMI, how much water you have how many carlories you can burn resting and alot of other things i jsut smiled and nodded at but anyway he had 9% body fat, the resting heart rate of like 54 burned 1200 calories resting and had the body of a 12 yr old- he just turned 38 in Oct. YAY that means he will hopefully be around for a long time. all that being said he will do cardio anywhere from 3miles (24 mins) to 18 miles (a bit over two hours) any given weekend depending on his training schedule. I htink it's all really in what you can handle and what you are comforatble with just be careful not to burn out. personally i have to shake it up a bit or I get bored, just stick with it!
crownshape is offline   Reply With Quote