Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #1  

Default Need Motivation - Can't Lose

I have a 100 pounds to lose. It just seems so overwhelming.

Anyone have the problem of doing everything right and not seeing any results?

Have tried counting calories and South Beach. Followed SB faithfully and regularly exercised with a personal trainer for 2.5 months and lost 4 lousy pounds. Hard to stick with something with no results. I probably gained muscle, but without the weight loss it's really hard for me to stay motivated.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #2  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

I have a question - have you ever had your thyroid checked? I've been on meds for my thyroid now 14 years, and when my levels are off, I can gain weight quickly, and also have a hard time losing, it's actually very frustrating.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM   #3  

Hi Michelle! I had my thyroid checked about 1.5 years ago. Seemed to be fine. But, I have heard that thyroid problems are sometimes difficult to diagnose. Was your thyroid problem diagnosed quickly? Wondering if I should have everything checked again... couldn't hurt I guess.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Here's your question ..... Anyone have the problem of doing everything right and not seeing any results? ... yup, you bet, lots of us. Especially this part ...Anyone have the problem of doing everything right ....

My head feels about ready to explode when I think about the big picture! I can only do the right thing, right now, for me.

Remember, it's all about eat less and move more. The bottom line is that you want to lose weight.
So you ate less and moved more and lost weight. So you are victorious!
Now just fiddle with what you already know works (and we'll help you).
Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

For years my doctors have been asking me if I have a thyroid problem. There was no problem with my thyroid. The problem was my head - I hadn't straightened it out yet, wasn't REALLY commited to losing the weight. Now, I'm totally commited to losing the weight, and guess what - I'm losing the weight.

This is just my experience. Everybody has a different story.

Just know that we're here for you if you need us. And we'd love to help you.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #6  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fav aunt of 6 View Post
Hi Michelle! I had my thyroid checked about 1.5 years ago. Seemed to be fine. But, I have heard that thyroid problems are sometimes difficult to diagnose. Was your thyroid problem diagnosed quickly? Wondering if I should have everything checked again... couldn't hurt I guess.
Hi There -- I went in for a physical because I had started putting on weight, without changing the way I had been eating at that time, and I was so tired all the time. Before even doing the blood test, when the doctor was examining me, she found that my thyroid was enlarged. Well when the tests came back, it showed my thyroid level was almost not working at all. This is something that runs on my dad's side of the family with several members, and my cousin had cancer and had to have hers removed. My sister has been the lucky one to never inherit the thyroid problem, and when she gets on a weight loss plan, she can drop weight so fast, while it takes me so much longer, which gets to be very frustrating.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

The tape measure is your friend. I've been doing Weight Watchers and working with a personal trainer. Like you, I lost "only" about 4 lbs in 2 months, but when we measured we found I'd lost 2 inches from my waist and 1.5 inches each from my chest and hips! I am definitely smaller than I was, and that is keeping me going even though the scale isn't moving much due to replacing fat with muscle. Have your trainer measure you every month or two, and you will see some victories to keep you going.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

One problem is that the scale is a poor tool of measuring FAT loss. It measures fat, water, muscle, bone...

So, as others have indicated, while you may not have lost a lot overall, you very well may have lost fat and gained some muscle. Measurements and sizes are too other easy tools in this process which at times are BETTER indicators of progress than the scale.

It sounds like you did things right AND saw progress, but want to give up because it wasn't the kind of progress you wanted to see? Focus on other ways to measure your success and maybe you can stick with it!

A second issue: when you say you followed certain programs, how diligent were you in recording everything you ate? Is it possible you ate more than you thought you did?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #9  
Forever Hopeful

S/C/G: 282/273.6/169

Height: 5'10"

Smile I'm With You

Hi,

I'm new here too! I find the task of needing to lose 100+ lbs a bit daunting as well.

I, too, am a habitual slow loser. I did an Optifast program and I adhered to the program without a single slip up for 24 weeks, yet, I loss at only one half the rate of most everyone else (and I exercised 90 minutes a day - many people didn't exercise at all!)

Alas, we just have to play the hand we are dealt. It is soooo hard to take sometimes, but, we can make improvements! We will just do the best we can!

I'll be cheering for you!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I also lose at crazy slow paces, and what works for me doesn't work for a lot of people. For me I can't have bread or pasta, but for others they can live off that and still lose. It's definitely a challenge to find what works for your body, but you'll get there. It's better to lose 1-2 pound a year than to gain that, right? Take some measurements!!

I read somewhere... "No one said losing weight would be easy, they only said it would be worth it".

-Aimee
Old 11-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #11  

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I certainly need it. I've haven't completly given up. I will press on towards the goal of being a healthier person.

Like most of you mentioned, I really need to concentrate on the loss of inches as a success too! But , it sure would be nice to see some results on the scale!
Closed Thread