Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 06:15 PM   #1  
Senior Chick

Angry ~~Thru Thick and Thin~~ #129

Thru Thick & Thin is a group that was formed to give and receive support on our journey to take off the excess pounds and to keep them off. No matter who you are or where you are from, you're welcome here with us. We'll stand with you while you're losing and stand by you if you're not. We all have ups and downs and we need support in both.

Last edited by Skeeter2; 01-08-2002 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:17 PM   #2  
Senior Chick

Wink

Hey everyone.

Well that warm weather didn't last long. It only got to about 50 today and is going to freeze again tonight. We can feel the chill starting to seep in already.

Marlana~I'm glad that you found the lost baby. That sure sounds fun and brings back some almost forgotten memories of a fish tank years ago. I remember those horny little male guppies. My guys are doing good but feeling ignored today. I haven't spent much time with them today but I thing I will change part of their water and siphon the bottom off tonight. I am back OP and even drank a lot of water today. My stomach already feels better today. I had veggie soup for lunch with a couple of small locally grown tangerines. My friend brought me a whole bag of tangerines from their yard in Ocala. They are good and sweet too. Hubby didn't go to the party at the camp Saturday. He was afraid of having a setback from being out in the cold. He just got up from being in bed all day today. I sure got a lot of cleaning done with him out of my way though. My mom visiting causes me to clean my house really good once a year. I got two rooms done today and will start on another room tomorrow.

Tobey~You are very lucky having a job that you love. I liked my job when I worked until about the last year. That was when they got ridiculous with the downsizing and tried to work us to death. I got so sick of office polotics by the time that I retired. I don't miss it at all, only some of the people. I email regularly with my good friend from that job and things just keep getting worse there. She is starting to count the days until she retires also. I used to spend a fortune also on books before I found the little branch of the library right here in the woods. I now rent 4 or 5 at a time and can renew by phone if I 'm not finished with them by the due date. My mom is a very fit lady only 16 years older than me. She is about 25# smaller than me and exercises and walks on a very regular basis. She is really in good shape and has a lot more stamina than me.

Sally~Most of the time a bad day at home is still better than a good day at work. I hope that you had a good birthday today. I'm sure your dh surprised you with something just devine. Good luck with your weigh in. This attachment is for you.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:44 AM   #3  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Morning~~Couldn't help myself this morning, I went back to bed, didn't do much good, I'm still tired. This shift kills both myself and hubby. Today is the day...it is going to be 60 degrees so I must go outside and take down Christmas lights. I forgot to take a picture of them too.

Sally~~I remember when I was your age and I thought I was old, I wasn't. Your family may be having problems, but it's giving you some time off. I hope your daughter's tooth isn't a perm one. My son had to have some pulled when he was about her age. It's hard to make a child do that.

Tobey~~Boy you can't ask for more than that...loving your job. Do you know how many people hate their jobs? My hubby for one. Skeeter had dodo duty yesterday, today is my dodo day..got to clean fish tank. I can't smell the dodo though. The 35 fish I was talking about was babies guppies. It's down to 34 as yesterday. Do you thank I'll miss one? Lord knows I don't have a place for 34 more guppies, so I'll have to make some hard choices a little later on when I can see the color of them. I just enjoy watching them grow.

Skeeter~~My Bettas seem to be happier in the bowls rather than the tank. I put the seaweed in with them, they like to rest in it. I'm so glad your back on program, I know that will make you feel better. I still am having a problem. Right now would you believe I have a sore throat. I sure hope it is drainage and not another cold.

[COLOR=deeppink]I'm attaching a picture of a guppy, maybe you all have the same idea of what a guppy looks like as mine was. Have a good clean eating day.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:50 PM   #4  

Good ummm afternoon ladies. Working that night shift is a killer. I actually like working nights, I just hate what it does to the rest of my life. One night isn't bad, but working 2 12 hr nights just kicked my butt. Anyway, I'm up now, and planning on sticking around the house, cleaning and scrubbing a few things. My poor pooch had some errr, digestive problems. I've shampooed the carpet yesterday, now again today. I was going to do it anyway, so it's not a big deal. Tonight I'm making a nice dinner for myself, and then a pedicure and manicure. Just because I can!

Sally- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Marlana- So now you're a "fish Grandma"? 34 of them? Oh what are we going to do with you? I had a couple of guppies years ago. They only had babies once, and only 5 of them. I don't think any of them survived. Maybe you could ship each of us a couple!!!

Skeeter- I think we might get warm today, maybe close to 50. That's almost unheard of for January. I was planning on a trip to Hawaii next winter, as a graduation present to myself, but I may go to Miami instead. That way I can see my Dolphins. I wonder why I never thought of that until I joked with you about moving to Florida! Hmmm...

Tobey- Love your job? That's great. I actually like what I do, I just hate the place that healthcare is in right now. Not much I can do about that. I haven't been doing much running lately. I'm going to have to later today, especially since we are having a warm spell.

I suppose I'd better get my butt in gear if I want to get my stuff done this afternoon!

Jen
Old 01-08-2002, 06:01 PM   #5  

Hello Everyone

I don't have a lot to say tonight. I'm feeling like crap. I've got a head cold. I started getting sick yesterday. It was really hard to stay at work today but I got thru it.

I just wanted to come in and say hi and let you know I'll post tomorrow. I just want to lay down right now. So I'll talk to you later.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:10 PM   #6  

Hi All

Had another pretty good day today. I got to sleep in a bit because I had another dentist appointment this morning at 10. All went well (just 2 fillings) but oh boy oh boy did the freezing ever take! My left froze open! It was so bizarre. I could blink by about 11:30 but the rest did wear off until after 1:00. I have never had anything like it! I guess it is better to have the freezing take too well than too little.

Skeeter: Thanks for starting the new thread. I am so lucky to be at this job! I have worked for too many companies that underpaid and work you to death. Oh yes and the office politics! No one ever talked to each so the left hand had no idea what the right was doing. I have to admit that my current job/company/boss are all ideal. I know how lucky I am and appreciate every day. Anytime I feel stressed, I just think back to what is used to be like and realize this is the life. Your mom sounds a lot like mine. She is only 17 years older than and used to have more stamina than me. However, after losing my weight and getting fit, I have surpassed her. But she is not standing idly by. She has lost close to 20# and is working with weights 6 days a weeks. She has always walked a ton. I like that she is watching her weight now because she is giving me some good tricks. My mom is SUPER baker and she has been experimenting with new recipes. Last week she created a new recipe for LF Cranberry Oatmeal muffins – they are sooo good. I am a good cook (if I can toot my own horn) but I am some what baking challenged. So we really compliment each other.

Marlana: How much longer will hubby keeping those horrible hours? Don’t know how you do it. As you can tell from my post to Skeeter, I LOVE my job. There are 2 topics you should never get me started on: work and running. Because I never know when to shut up. Fish are so soothing to watch. Will any of your grandkids be taking any of your babies when they grow up?

Jen: You deserve that pedicure and manicure! Sounds like Skeeter wasn’t the only one on doodoo duty. Sorry I shouldn’t laugh. The health care situation is about the same here in Canada. Cut backs – cut backs – cut backs. It is such a shame. MIL who was a nurse for over 20 took an early retirement last month. She saw some bad times. She worked in an old age nursing home. They slashed a lot of jobs and added beds! They started replacing RNs with RPNs, etc. I also had a friend who was a nurse in a hospital on the cancer ward. She couldn’t handle it and went into Public Health after she had her first baby. The hours are good but she says it is a bit boring and not challenging. Just no happy medium.

Jojo: Take care of yourself and get well soon!

Well I must go and pack a lunch for tomorrow and do some dishes. The excitement never stops at our house.

Tobey
Old 01-08-2002, 08:24 PM   #7  
Senior Chick

Angry

Hey everyone.

I think the weather patterns have been reversed for everyone. Most of y'all have been having warm weather and we have ice in Florida. It was about 24 degrees here this morning. I guess we will have to go north to get warm this year.

Jen~I know what you mean about the 12 hour night shifts. I didn't work them but my husband did every 5th week. He actually worked a different shift every week and never was able to get enough sleep. He was an electrical troubleman for the same utility company where I worked. That 's where we met when I was working out in the field as an investigator for utility theft. Anyhow, shifts like that can really play havoc with your system. I think that you should come to Florida and see your dolphins. Normally you could come in the winter for warm weather but now I'm not so sure of that.

JoJo~Hope you start feeling better soon. I know what you are going through. Hubby got out of bed and sat in the living room today and watched TV there instead of the bedroom. That must be a sign that he is finally healing.

Marlana~I sure hope that all this housework counts for exercise because I was at it all day again. I am doing a lot of reaching and stretching with the dusting for cobwebs and such. My house sure is getting shiny. I polished all the cabinets in the kitchen today after I cleaned both refrigerators and washed everything else down. I'm kind of glad it is so cold or I would probably be washing windows too. I sure enjoyed the pictures of the guppies. I never realized that they were so colorful. I am going to start looking at them in the fish stores too.

Tobey~That attachment was so apropos. We actually had several conversations going on about doodoo. My mom and dad walk the golf course that they live next to and have a membership. Usually only rain keeps them off the course. They probably walk about 2-3 miles of very steep terrain. We walk with them when we visit and those hills will really give a person a good workout. My mom and I grew up on southern cooking with a lot of fat. We are both learning a healthier eating style though.

I am starting to unwind and need to put my feet up for a while. Y'all have a good evening.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:11 AM   #8  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Morning~~Somebody needs to come down here and shoot me or HIM one. I almost got tickled this morning when he started to put on his pants this morning. And if I had of, I would be much better off shot. Within the last year he has had to go up a size in pants. And after the holidays his pants seems to have gotten smaller. He tried to fasten them this morning and he says, "Another pair of those smaller pants." I had to tell hem that I cleaned out his closet and had put all the smaller ones in the back, that those was the largest he had. I almost lost it, and boy would I have been in hot water. I remember one time when we was off fishing and he was throwing a net for shad,(bait) and he was standing up on front of the boat when it hit a stump and he was like a frog flying into the water. It was so funny I lost it, and believe me he got hot under the collar. The funny thing was on the way home I kept picturing that in my mind, and it was like a teeny bobber trying not to laugh out loud.

Jen~~I believe you about the killer night shift. Try this shift we are on right now, night and day. As you can tell from the story above, I get a little getty. OH...all these pet tails, thank God my fish are in water and I don't have to clean up after them every day. I did clean the tank yesterday and it took me over an hour. Them little devils are a lot of work. I'm down to 30 on those babies. Cleaning was hard on them. By the time they get grown, I might not have 5 left.

Jo Jo~~So sorry to hear your under the weather. Been there done that. I hope you feel better really soon. Just rest and drink a lot.

Tobey~~Freezing...Come on now...I had to read your post a couple of times. I am assuming that freezing is what we call down south, deading. Girlfriend, if your eyes got froze open, he must have really shot the juice to you. Crazy, must have really felt funny. I don't know how long hubby will have to work these hours. He spent a lot of last year working these hours. I'm not worth a darn when he does. Where do you get all the attachments...you have one for every occasion.

Skeeter~~You bet the weather pattern has been reversed...it's going to be 75 degrees here today. If I wasn't so darn tired I could enjoy it. I'm going to town today. Don't you just love your house when it is all shiny, and don't you wish it would stay that way? After 40 years of cleaning house I'm a little sick of it. I never thought I would hear from you, flush the Tetra's. I had already decided that I was going to. They aren't happy in that small space, I'm not happy with them and I'm making the decisions...so guess who is going. In that tank and the Betta bowls everyone else is happy. I'm used to killing fish, so it won't bother me. I kind a wish they would bust our show up tomorrow night, what will I look forward to on Thursday nights. Who do you want to win?

Guess I'm going to put some cloths away, the dryer buzzer just went off. Take care and have a good one.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:45 AM   #9  
American Chick!

Morning Ladies,
How's everyone doing? I'm okay, I guess; Jeff was home yesterday, so I didn't make it to the computer, since he wouldn't move over. He wasn't ill, I think he just needed a mental health day. My oldest got thru her doctor's appt. Monday--her legs have been bothering her a lot, and since I have had arthritis since I was 19, I wanted to make sure she wasn't getting it too. The doctor said no, she was just very slender and had very long slender, somewhat flat feet, and it caused her legs to hurt sometimes. He said she had the perfect athlete's body--bless her heart, built just like her mama. Actually, mama feels more like a cube, or beach ball sometimes. And I wear size six shoes, so she doesn't get the feet from me either. Oh well--I told Jeff she's going to be a tall skinny blonde, so maybe we won't have any trouble marrying her off when the time comes, and we need an extra room. Shorty had her tooth pulled yesterday, and didn't have any trouble. I think she had extra freezing, too, Tobey--it took her a couple of hours to talk normally, and she didn't realize she was drooling all over the place while she was yakking. Anyway, I'm glad those two things are over, and it was just a baby tooth, so another one will come in soon. Today they start new school, and of course Mama is worried about that too. I'm glad all this stuff bothers me more than it does them....they can't wait. Actually I think they will like it, but I still worry. I suppose that's my job.
Okay, enough about me and mine....how is everyone else???
Mama, how're the fishes? We've had a few burials at sea, too; I've had to flush some deceased ones, but I've never had to cut back on our stock. You know, Jeff's pants have gotten a size bigger since we married, too....he blames it on ME? Can you imagine? I just consider it a compliment to my sterling cooking abilities. I'm sure it can't be because he's now 45 and perhaps the old metabolism is, how shall we say, OLD? Besides, the bigger he gets, the smaller I look. We both have decided to shape up more, now that the birthdays and holidays are over with for a while.
Skeeter, did you warm up any down there? It's been pretty cold here too, but we're supposed to be in the 50s today, which is good for January. How's hubby feeling? Did he recover from all the respiratory problems? I think you should come up and shine my cabinets and kitchen, after Jen's boyfriend finishes preparing a few meals for me....sounds quite lovely, actually.
Jen, did your poochy get over the digestive problems? I love it when they do that---it never happens outside, either. Always in the middle of the floor. We need to rent a carpet shampooer next month---my mom in law is coming for a visit at the end of February, and she's never seen our new carpet---which isn't looking so new in spots anymore. And considering she bought it for us for our anniversary, guess we'd better clean it! I used to have a carpet shampooer, but I think when we moved here, I lost part of it..I haven't seen it in a few years. Well, just the handle.
Tobey, glad you got more dental work finished. I sure was glad when my baby finished hers yesterday. I really like my job too...we're awfully lucky to have something we actually enjoy going to every day, since we have to go anyway!
JoJo, feel better! You just got over being sick....hope you get over this cold quickly.
I need to run, I guess, and get them ready for new school....hope everyone has a great day! Love you all, and see you tomorrow, hopefully.
Love, Sally
224/165 (stayed the same )/120ish.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:55 PM   #10  

Hello All

Hmmm…. What to say…. I got up this morning went to work and now I am getting to go home make dinner, do dishes, do some homework, and go to bed. Living life in the fast lane!

Skeeter: Yes come to Canada and get a tan. Okay it’s not that warm but we are having highs above freezing and still no snow on the ground. Its great that your parents are so active and working at making changes as well. I’m so happy that my mom is also working on improving her habits. Just can’t wait until quits :smoke:

Marlana: Oh you have me laughing with your tales of hubby. You are so mean “shrinking” his clothes like that. Yep freezing is what we call it when they give you Novocain. So it must be the same as deadening. It was so strange. She actually only gave me 2 needles – one for the top and one for the bottom. For some reason it just really took this time. I had to use my finger to blink my eye! You are so good getting up with hubby when he works those hours. When either dh or myself ever have to work a crazy hour, it is just simply fend for yourself. I grab my attachments all over. Google now has an image search which makes it real easy.

Sally: I am sure that we could all use some mental health days. Glad to hear that there isn’t any really problems with her legs. Her legs are probably longer than my whole body! Sounds like she’s a real looker – better lock the doors and windows. I was worrying about drooling while talking after the dentists so I walked around with a Kleenex pressed against my mouth. I am sure I was a real site! So how did the first day at their new school go? I’m sure they will have a new pile of friends already! Yes we are lucky to have great jobs. The trick is just not taking it for granted.

Well I best pack up and head home. “See” you all tomorrow!

Tobey
Old 01-09-2002, 08:56 PM   #11  
Kicking up stardust

Default Back again for another go *sigh*

Hey All...

Well, I'm back, if you remember me from the last time I was here over the summer. The big New Years Resolution is to finally get rid of this weight for good and I can't do it without support, so here I am... It's been a busy year for me and an emotional one as well, so I'm learning to deal with it all and work on my weight at the same time. Tomorrow I step on the scale and take my beginning weight - I think it's somewhere around 220 or 225, but I am not sure just yet. Hopefully I can get back into posting here and getting some good diet ideas and exercise tips... I hope you are all doing well and I'll post again tomorrow, if that's all right with you all.

Renee
Old 01-09-2002, 08:57 PM   #12  
Senior Chick

Angry

Hey everyone.

The house is all clean and shiny and I am beat. I even gave the dogs a bath today. I might not be back in here until Friday. I have to go to town tomorrow for some blood work and then a chest x-ray and EKG. After that we are shopping for a new recliner. The one we have is going to the dump. There is no padding left in that thing. Anyhow, tomorrow night is the final 2 hour episode of Survivor with a reunion afterwards. Then on Friday we are going to a big flea market for the day. I need that kind of break after working so hard on the house.

Sally~We need some more pictures of your family in the album. Kids grow so fast and we'd like to see how they are doing. I sure hope they had a good day at their new school. It got a little warmer here today which was about the same as your weather. My husband finally got out of bed and even got dressed today. He started talking about going out and talking the Christmas lights down but I wouldn't let him. He is still coughing a little bit and I talked him into resting some more. I did let him walk to the mailbox though. I remember when this kind of housework that I have been doing wasn't hard on my back the way it is now. We bought a really nice steam cleaner last week and I haven't even tried it yet. It has just been too cold to get these carpets wet.

JoJo~I hope that you are feeling better. Stay in bed and let your body fight that stuff with lots of rest. I keep forgetting to tell you that I have to make that dreamcicle all the time now for my husband. I use the sugar free Jell-O and pudding to make it and double the recipe and he loves it. I just made it for him again today.

Marlana~I got so tickled at your post about your husband frog jumping into the water. It brought back memories that I caught on film of my husband. We had hired a guy to clear this land but there was still some large roots sticking out of the ground that looked like large grape vines. My husband was pulling some of them up when he came across one that wouldn't pull up. He really put some muscle behind it and it let go when he wasn't prepared and down he went backwards. I laughed so hard while I was holding that video camera. I think that he wanted to be mad at me for laughing at him but wasn't sure if I was filming or not. He looked at me and asked if I got it on film and then went on with what he was doing like nothing happened. Later he watched it over and over himself laughing. As crazy as I am about animals, I don't like mean ones. I would be mad at those tetras too for biting the other fish. I have never flushed a fish but I talk really mean sometimes like I could do something like that. I would like to see Ethan win and Tom come in second. I don't like Lex at all after hearing him rant and rave about the other voting against him. His favorite expression is "I'll slit his throat". I think that is just too radical when talking about a game.

Tobey~This month is my 2 year anniversary for quitting smoking. I started full time when I was 17 years old and quit when I was 50. It took me about 10 years of trying with every gimmick on the market. I used acupuncture, hypnosis, Zyban and the patches numerous times. Every time that I quit, I gained weight and went back to smoking and didn't lose any of that extra weight. I finally quit with the Nicotrol Inhalers in 5 weeks. I only gained 10# that time and then started this yo yo of losing 20# and gaining it back. I sure hope that it doesn't take me as long to conquer this weight problem as it did to quit It was 22 degrees here this morning and more ice. We have had some unusually cold weather the last 3 winters. Someone switched your weather for ours. We can switch it back any time now.......just anytime that you are ready to get all the cold and ice back.............just feel free anytime now.........go ahead now...........anytime now

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:10 PM   #13  
Senior Chick

Talking

Welcome back Renee. It has been a long time and we have some new people I think that might not remember you. Maybe you wouldn't mind posting a little about yourself for the new girls and for those of us with these minds that don't seem to work as good as they used to. Refresh our memories and tell us what has been going on with you.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:33 PM   #14  

Man, it seems like forever since I've posted. I tried Wednesday, but it wouldn't let me in. Then yesterday the site was down for repairs. I've been a real lazy butt these last couple of days. It seems like it takes forever to get out of bed and moving. I did manage to run 2 miles Tuesday, but none since. No time with all the shampooing carpets I had to do. I've got it all done except my room, and that wasn't poopy! At least moving furniture and scrubbing is better than sitting on my butt all morning. I've done pretty good with the food intake, but the after work munching could use a little tweaking. I took a salad and an orange for supper last night at work, and someone stole my orange. Geez! Work has been crazy, as is every time this year. Nothing else to do in January but have a heart attack I guess. We are full every day (28 beds) and Wed we had a waiting list of 5 just to transfer in. It's insane. On xmas we had 9 patients! I would like to post to everyone today, but I have some stuff that needs to get done before I go into work this afternoon. I hope everyone has a good start to the weekend! I'm off, and the Dolphins are in the play-offs on Sunday!

Jen
Old 01-11-2002, 01:30 PM   #15  
~~Senior Member~~Really

I tried 2 or 3 different times to get into this site and write early this morning and couldn't bring the page up. I figured it must be down. I just got on line and got a notice that Jen had wrote, decided to try again. And darned if I didn't make it this time. Don't have time to answer everyone right now, but will be back later. Hope your all having a good day.
Closed Thread