Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 01:01 PM   #46  
deleted2

Hello All!

Ruthie, good for you for paying attention! Having a small meal sounds like a good compromise.

Amyjo, You can do it! I'll be thinking about you and sending you the good stuff!

I don't have kids but I kind of know what you mean about being glad that everybody's back at work and school. I was off yesterday and when my husband left to go to work, I got so much done! Seems when we're home together we just lie around like old socks, so there's something to be said for having a routine. I even work out more when I'm working than when I'm on vacation.

My food scene is finally coming back together---feels good. Lots of big full-meal salads. It's always a revelation to us that they're so good!

Punkinseed--Happy Birthday!!!!

Old 01-08-2002, 02:19 PM   #47  

Default remember me????????????????

I am not online at the moment . Things are going well in other things but not in weight wise. Congrats to all of you on your losses Just wanted to drop in and say HI!!!!!! Miss you all. Will sneak on again soon take care and be well
Sheila
Old 01-08-2002, 07:15 PM   #48  
Hot Stuff

Hi all

Our exercise challenge started last Tuesday, right? Well, including bowling last night I exercised 4 out of the 7 days. I'm happy with that for a start.

I have...oh...just a *touch* of PMS today. Been trying really hard to stay away from the chocolate. I may have to go to bed soon.

Ruthie, glad to hear the new counsellor is willing to listen to you and help you find a way to make this work. You are absolutely NOT a failure! You tried the full fast, and if you need to have some food, that's perfectly okay! You're trying to find a way to adjust the fast so that it works for you...you haven't thrown in the towel completely! We're behind you all the way, girlfriend!

Amyjo, you're going to do just fine...better than fine, in fact....fantastic!

Sheila, nice to see you online, if only for brief moments. Don't worry, once you get things settled, we'll be here for the weight loss.

Punkinseed, glad you came back! Happy belated birthday!

Flower, did you contact the Rio again since the holidays are over? I'm still hoping they'll hire you, too! Good luck on Friday with the interview. Welcome to the world of tea, too! I can't live without mine.

Lamorgan, sounds like you've got the start of a great OP streak there. Also sounds like you have the right idea....bubbly bath, candles, and Loreena....that would keep me out of the chocolate! Congratulations on being smoke free for four years!
Old 01-08-2002, 09:55 PM   #49  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

How come parenthood doesn't come with an instruction booklet?

Cameron my 11 year old came home with a new skateboard. He gave me a song and dance and I told him he needed to give it back. Only to find out he stole it from a "friend's" locker. His father called me looking for it. How embarrassing. I told him, I had told him that he lied to me and of course he would be returning it and appologizing. I do hope the school dean is not called as I do not want to talk the day off from work. I waited for his father to come over and get it.

Two things I will not tollerate, lying and stealing. And he did both. So, no skateboarding for 3 monthes, no more skate club this year. He will be learning the value of 200$ w/ chores because that is the value of the thing he stole. No phone privledges right now and no sleepover this weekend. UGHHHH, oh, and I told his grandmothers. I think he is mordified to go to school tomorrow. But actions has consequences.

So, this has made me in such a grumpy mood! But we went out to dinner anyways and I had grilled tuna. It was quite yummy. 2 fish dishes this week. I am so good!

WF-I talked to the Rio last Thurs. I am hoping for a yes by this weekend. Keep good thoughts coming! ~flower
Old 01-09-2002, 05:17 AM   #50  
Must Shrink.

Ugh! Kids. I think that consequences are harder on us than them.

That's a hard situation, flower, but when they lie to us we have to take action. Good luck to both of you over the next 3 months!

L
Old 01-09-2002, 07:40 AM   #51  

[Can't talk long...I so overslept this morning!]

Flower, it'll be tough but stand your ground. I firmly believe these are the years that determine how adolescence, and even adulthood, will be. Puberty is the WORST time to be a parent, but from what I've observed, if you're not tough now things will just get worse in the high school years. Good for you punishing him like that. I agree that stealing and lying are probably the worst things he could possibly do.

Sheila, nice to hear from you!

Well, the clinic scale said I lost 2.8 lbs., and my home scale says 3, so I'm satisfied. The group was interesting....they did a lot of talking about stuff, and feelings, and current events, and not a lot of talking about weight -- in fact, they only talked about it when I brought it up. I really don't want to use the time to talk about things going on in my life -- I have my friends and family, and even co-workers, for that. I'm really psyched to be doing the modified fast; I think it will be good. I did not exercise yesterday. I left work at 5:00, went to p/t job, stopped at drug store on way home, got home at 6:15, did one or two things here, then turned right around and went to the clinic, and didn't get home till after 9:00. I usually go to bed at 9:00 or so, and last night I didn't go to bed till after 10:00, which may be why I overslept today.

Today I have to deal with DD -- she wants to have a "hotel" party for her 18th birthday, which I do not approve of, and she asked me last night for my credit card number to guarantee the room, and I told her to ask me again today, and I thought about it last night and decided I have to say no, for a number of reasons. So she is going to be PISSED. Oh well. Last year we had the biggest fight of our lives over her birthday, and she actually left the house for a few days. It was baaaaad. She just has to learn that she can't have every single thing she wants in life, even if it is her birthday. I just really believe that if she has a party in a hotel room, too many people will show up, damage will be done that will have to be paid for (which is why I told her to have it after she turns 18, so she's liable, not me), alcohol will be served to minors, cops will be called, and big trouble will result. Her friends are not by and large to be trusted not to turn it into a melee. It's just a bad idea, and unnecessary, and I'm not going to support it with my credit card, which potentially could also be used to pay for any damage incurred. I just won't be part of it. Then there's the fact that b/c she had an illegal party at my house last June while I was away, I was unable to go on my big 40th birthday trip to Utah, so why the **** should I help her 18th birthday be special? Not to be vindictive about it, but for God's sake, talk about actions having consequences! She basically screwed me, and in my opinion she shouldn't be allowed to forget that. I bought her a $1,000 PC -- that's more than enough. If she thinks she's grown enough to have a party in a hotel room, she's grown enough to pay for it herself. Right?
Old 01-09-2002, 08:51 AM   #52  
Must Shrink.

Wow! Can't believe that an 18 year old would ask her mother for her credit card number for a party in a hotel!! I was working full time by the time when I was 17!

Am I ever behind the times.

I don't think that you are being vindictive at all, and sometimes consequences hurt. I know I'm really old fashioned, but there is so much indulgence wrapped up in how parents treat their children that I think we set them up for future dissapointments when suddenly as adults, they don't always get what they want.

Had another on-program day yesterday. I was up too late last night too, and am tired. May have a nap later on... I eat when I'm sleepy.

I'm starving and must go eat breakfast.

Lois
Old 01-09-2002, 11:00 AM   #53  
Is it Friday yet?

Happy Wednesday all!

Thank you for the birthday wishes!! It was a wonderful birthday - with the slight exception of my Dad going on about "I can't believe you're that old" (I turned 32). My reply? "well, I can't believe my Dad's almost 60!". Hehehehe, gotcha! Watch it Pops!

Flower - I think you're handling the deal with your son perfectly. I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd be doing the same thing. Lying and stealing can't be tolerated and your punishment fits the deed. Good luck in the next couple months.

Ruthie - Are you ready for this??? I had a hotel party when I graduated high school - DON'T LET YOUR DAUGHTER DO IT!!!! At 18 I was a pretty level headed kid, but things got way outta hand. My other friends invited people that made a huge mess out of things. I thought we were going to be having a slumber party of sorts, we brought stuff to make pizzas and sundaes and yea, we were going to drink, but not "party" per se. Well, it was a huge mess... There was no permanent damage, but the hotel was beyond pissed, and the parents of the girl who's card we used were called and well, it just got uglier from there... Very, very smart move to not let her. Besides, you're right, if she ruined your last birthday and caused you to have to cancel plans - why should you bend over backwards to make sure her birthday plans go through? It not revenge, it's a lesson. She may get mad, but I think in time she'll understand.

I'm still trying to get my butt in gear to get started. I'm going to go through my fridge and throw out what's left of the extremely unhealthy stuff (do I really need cheese sticks???) and the stuff I just can't handle having at all in the house right now. Thursday I'm going to do some shopping to get some good stuff in the house. I really, really can't wait to get going!!

Terri
Old 01-09-2002, 08:42 PM   #54  
Hot Stuff

Ruthie, RIGHT!!!! The possible legal ramifications are enough to support your decision! Guaranteed, if your credit card is used to secure the room, you will be charged for any costs incurred and/or damages. Just not a good idea all around. If she thinks she really deserves the hotel party, let her put a cash downpayment in advance to secure the room. Then she's on her own if anything happens. Congrats on the 3 lb loss!

My 14 yr old is really pushing the limits around here. I don't know if she's gonna make it to 15! I keep telling myself....just 4 more years....just 4 more years....

I think we're going to be moving this spring/summer. I talked to my last landlady today. (We're still friends, and the same age.) Her apartments are renting for almost $400 less than what I will be paying come August 1st. I really liked my apartment there, and living in Burlington. We moved because of the tenants below us cranking their stereo at all hours to the point that dishes were bouncing out of my kitchen cupboards. (They've since moved.) She's going to let me know if a unit comes available. I've done the math...if we put the $400 into savings or an RRSP for the next 24 months, we would have the 5% downpayment required for a mortgage. Even considering moving costs and reconnect fees for phone/cable, I think it's worth it. I can do it for a couple of years if I know the end result is going to be getting the house I want. I'm soooo tired of having people running around over my head in apartment buildings.

Flower, stand your ground, even if it's difficult! Better to teach him now than try to correct it later. Still sending good vibes for the job at the Rio!

Lamorgan, the bubble bath did the trick last night! I stayed out of the chocolate, and went to bed early.

Punkinseed, you're a brave woman! No matter what frame of mind I'm in, I can never completely clean my fridge/cupboards of all "treat" foods. If I did, I think I'd end up on a binge. I can ignore it, but if I restricted it that much I think I'd want it even more! I sometimes move it or ask hubby to put things away so I don't readily know where they are, though.

Well, I was all set to buy fabric to make curtains for my huge expanse of bedroom windows, but if we're moving soon I don't want to make curtains now. 12 metres of fabric is a lot of fabric to buy! Need to get numbers on paper....its the accountant in me....to see the pros and cons of moving.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:09 PM   #55  

I think we lost a message or two when the forum was down...so why don't we start a new thread? See you there!
Closed Thread