Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Angry My mom's trying to give me her clothes

I have always been the big one in my family. I'm taller than my brother and my sister who both have always been trim and athletically built. My mother, always told me I had "big bones".

My dad has been overweight for years while my mother has wild weight swings that follow her binging and food sneaking behaviors.

Anyway, she recently experienced some dental issues that made eating painful, so she didn't do it much. At the same time, they were eating Nutrisystem food. She lost 10 pounds during this time.

She called me today to say that she has a suit that she's going to give me because it's too big for her. While I sort of appreciate the gesture, I'd really rather not be the recipient of people's large clothes.

In a couple of months, I'm going to give that suit back to her.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #2  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

Hi

I don't know if this helps at all- but if you decide to take the suit, think of it this way: there is a free suit to you, so you have to spend less money on clothes during this very temporary, shrinking sizes time.

And yeah, it will feel great to give it back to her!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

When I started my wt. loss journey, my MIL gave me clothes that she had that were too big for her. It didn't bother me. I used them while I was losing and it helped decrease my cost on clothes. I've since given them back to her. Plus, I've given her a lot of mine that are now too big for me. I know she was trying to be helpful and not trying to hurt my feelings.
If the suit fits you now, I'd take it and wear it. Give it back once it is too big. There's no shame in that. She loves you and wants to help and probably knows that your clothes are getting baggy now.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I wish somebody would give me some in between clothing. I have a friend who was the same weight as me and is now about 120 lbs. I kind of hinted to her that I wouldn't mind her in between clothing, but she didn't bite.

But Kateful, I think you took it as insult and therefore I feel for you. Try not to take it too hard. Just think how you'll be glowing when you give it back to her because it's swarming on you, and I have no doubt that you will indeed be giving it back to her, sooner, rather then later.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I was mostly just kidding with all the mad faces. I know she's being thoughtful. I'd just rather be the one handing off the big clothes.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #6  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Kateful,

I am with lilybelle. I think your mom was trying to be helpful. Think of it this way: you said she has always been smaller than you ... and now she thinks you will fit into her clothes. So, really, she sees them as *smaller* clothes ... I hope I explained that right. I understand how you feel though. My mom has always been the proverbial size five and the rest of my family is the same. And I am the size 26 woman who can crush them all. Oh, the power
Old 11-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I would probable take it and like you said give it back when you are too small for it. I'm really tight for money so I am always willing to take free clothing. My sister-in-law likes to give me her old stuff (I think it makes her feel like my real sister) that is too small on her, most of it is to big on me but I don't want to be mean so I just talk it and keep it in the back of my closet. After a few months I return it and say thanks for letting me borrow it.
Closed Thread