Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #1  
ooooh... sparkly!

S/C/G: 236/226/135

Height: 5'4"

Angry Time Change is kicking my butt!

Before the Daylight Savings or Spending, or whatever it was... I was exercising a very minimum of 30-45 minutes/day, with no problems. in fact, I would work my schedule around my exercise time, or make plans to do something that involved being up and moving around.

But after the time change, it's dark before I get home from work, and it seems like my butt is dragging. I can't seem to find the time, or the energy to exercise. It's really discouraging to me, and I can't seem to adjust. Did anyone else have this same problem?
watch_it_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Watch it break, I'm with you! I have been waking up early and exercising before work for almost a year, but for some crazy reason I had trouble all week last week getting up in time, even though I was really gaining an hour of sunlight (?!). Finally, toward the end of the week, I've been making myself get to bed around 9:00 and that has helped.

Before time change, I also would go walk 2 - 3 days a week after dinner, but those were just freebies, they weren't my main form of exercise. I sure do miss those, as it's dark when I get home as well.

Last week, I tried walking during my lunch break on Thursday and Friday, and I enjoyed that. I'm going to try to add that in most days, maybe a mile, to take the place of my evening walks. It feels good to relieve some stress during work.

Do you normally exercise after work? It's really hard for me to be very active when it's dark outside. My body wants to rest (or at least I tell myself it does.) Good luck.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #3  
ooooh... sparkly!

i was doing my exercising after work. i'm not a morning person at all, and it was hard enough for me to get out of bed in time to take a shower and go to work, much less to do anything before that.

unfortunately, i don't get a set "lunch time" at my current job, and on the rare occasion that i do leave for lunch, i'm not supposed to be gone for more than 20-30 minutes.

this should change, come january, as i'm hoping to start a new job, with a more reasonable, defined schedule. so, i can at least exercise on my lunch hour, then.

in the meantime, i've tried waking up earlier, to get some exercise, but i end up sleeping through the alarm, or hitting the snooze button without even knowing it... might have to get DH to shove me out of bed, or something. seems like, from what i've been reading, that the first week is the hardest, and after that i should get used to waking up earlier... here's hoping.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch_it_break View Post
in the meantime, i've tried waking up earlier, to get some exercise, but i end up sleeping through the alarm, or hitting the snooze button without even knowing it... might have to get DH to shove me out of bed, or something. seems like, from what i've been reading, that the first week is the hardest, and after that i should get used to waking up earlier... here's hoping.
After the first few weeks, it did get easier. The most important component to exercising early in the morning is getting to bed early the night before. It's not so hard for me, as I have school aged kids who have to go to bed at 9:00 anyway and little social life . It might be harder for others in different circumstances, but after a few weeks, it became easier (although I have to re-adjust at times like this!)
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I do great during "fall back" when it seems like I gain an hour every day. It's "spring forward" that always kills my plan.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #6  
ooooh... sparkly!

kateful: i have a mild case of SAD, so when it starts getting dark at 5-5:30 instead of 7 or 8pm, i'm about ready to hibernate... i've always been like that, so i've always hated winter. i just don't remember it affecting me quite as harshly as it did this time around. could just be bad memory, though.

seems like it's easing up, though... so i'm back to my evening workouts. the mornings just didn't do it for me! so long as i'm getting some kind of workout, i'll be okay.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #7  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

I have had the same problem. I just feel like my butt is dragging by the time i get home at 11:30
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote