Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #1  
here I go again...

Question Spinning/Ouch!

I've just started Spinning. I absolutely LOVE it and love how I feel when I'm done except for one thing. My butt is SORE for at least two days after each class. I tried a padded seat this morning, but it was slippery and I think it actually made it worse.

Two questions
1. Does anything help?
2. How long until you get used to it?

Thanks friends!
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #2  
Meg

It only took about two weeks for my butt to toughen up, but it just KILLED me at first! How long have you been spinning?

Unfortunately, I don't know of anything that helps besides the padded seats. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #3  
Mel

You can get bike shorts which have foam or gel pads sewn directly into the pants. The gel ones are more expenseive, but very worth it! I use a padded set and gel pants on long rides or just the pants for a spinning class.

Most sporting goods store carry them and all bike shops do. I actually found both cheap foam and expensive gel pants at marshalls and t j maxx, but that was sheer luck!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:01 PM   #4  
here I go again...

This week will be my second week. It hurts to sit in my bathtub haha. I think I will keep going for another two weeks or so and buy the gel pants if there's no improvement. I'm just glad there are others that "know the pain". hehe.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I think it also took a couple of weeks to go away for me when I went fairly consistently. I find spinning a bit boring after a few classes, so I've stopped and restarted a few times. Unfortunately, the butt pain comes back if that break is too long!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

The first time I attended a spin class I made the mistake of going the very next day. I was in agony the entire time because my butt was so sore. But after a couple weeks, the soreness went away and wasn't an issue anymore.
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/203/165

Height: 5'7

The first day I was in so much pain I wondered if I'b be able to bear children after thiis class, lol. But I got the padded seat and felt fine. Now I can use it or not and feel perfectly fine. Stick with it, the pain will subside soon.
Kreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:40 PM   #8  
a brave new me...

Absolutely get cycling shorts and combine them with a gel seat pad that you attach to the regular seat... you should be able to buy both at a cycle shop.. After a few classes you will "toughen up" in those tender spots (!) and it won't be so agonizing. I am about to feel you pain as today I start back to spinning after a long hiatus. Oh man I am going to be so sore in so many places!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/226/165

Glad to see this posted I was afraid to go back after my 1st spin class! I didn't want my dh go even look at me I was so sore! I just may have to go out and get the gel bike pants and try the class again. I liked every thing about the class besides that darn seat!
mikelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Aerobics class was cancelled yesterday morning...Ended up at spinning instead...ouch this morning!!!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #11  
here I go again...

Okay, I've kept at it, spinning every other day... I haven't had a chance to go out to buy shorts/padded seat. I've found that I'm only sore for about five minutes into the class, but then after class/shower, I feel like my butt has a permanent imprint of the seat.

Oh well, it's still more fun than step class.

Oh, and I like this smilie
Old 11-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #12  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

It depends on how much cycling you normally do - I cycle 3-4 times a week, so a spinning class usually only hurts for a little while 'cause my bum's already used to it. When I pull my bike out in the spring, though, it generally takes about a week to feel better. And absolutely get some padded shorts - they make all the difference in the world!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote