General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default I Beg Your Pardon????

I'm jumping on a soap box today, about something that's been bugging me lately.
I've heard some things and read them on message boards (I love message boards) ... and I don't get it.

Have any of you been to that "YOU" thread? It's kinda like that.
I'm sure you've all seen or heard at least one or two as well.
Let us know what they are --or-- clarify some of these if you can.

"I wish I could lose like you ..." She said pressing the coke button on the machine that is right beside the diet coke button.

"I don't cook." What????

"After I ate the hamburger helper, I read the package and it said I'd had three servings!" After ????

"Oh, I don't drink many calories either. Just the odd coke, the sugar in my tea and my oj every morning."

"I wish I had time to walk. Did you watch ER last night?"

"My friend told me that low fat cheese tastes awful!"

"I looked at a low fat recipe book but it was $40.00. Pass the cream please and I'll have your butter if you're not going to use it."
Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Yeah I just tend to smile to myself when I hear stuff like that!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #3  

I'm guilty of that "never have time to exercise" one!!! I drive right by my gym twice a day!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:04 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I personally was having a hard time finding time to exercise until I realized I was sleeping 9-10 hours every day. I've started sleeping 7-8 with plenty of time to exercise and I feel more energized than I did when I was sleeping 9-10 hours. Although now around 10pm, I basically crash and am ready to sleep after being up since 6am.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #5  
No description available.

LOL! What is best about this, Susan, is that I have been slacking BIG TIME, wondering why the heck the scale is not moving down, while I eat enchiladas on a regular basis (take out ones, not healthy home made ones!). I had a regular Pepsi this week, too. I have consistently been making poor choices, woe-is-me for being too busy to run in day light hours, but choosing to not use our perfectly good elliptical and bowflex.

So, even though I KNOW better, and have made better choices, I have been those people you have described.

I REALLY needed to see that in black and white this am.

To sorta use Nelie's quote, if I eat and don't exercise like I used to, I will weigh what I used to. I need to make consistent choices again to move away from that weight even more than I have.

The line in the sand has been drawn!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #6  

I'm so glad folks are taking this in good spirit! After I posted I was worried someone might call me harsh.
BTW ... I've probably either thought or used most of these myself
Old 11-02-2006, 09:22 AM   #7  
No description available.

Wt loss is like anything else in life. WISHING does not get you anywhere. It's all action, baby, day-to-day choices. That is reality.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #8  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

My friends excuse for poor eating "if I buy healthy food everyone will eat it!"
Old 11-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

My favorite has always been, "But I really don't eat that much . . . " Yeah sure you don't. I used that one myself. I said, "why am I gaining weight? I don't eat THAT much." And I also used the "my metabolism is slow" excuse too, when in all actuality, (morbidly) obese people (excluding ones with diagnosed thyroid/metabolic conditions) have much HIGHER metabolisms than people of normal weight. Now, I can whine about my metabolism because it is slower than it used to be. But I won't.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Susan, I don't think it's harsh. It is extremely hard to change your life. It's extremely hard to lose weight and stick with a plan. But sometimes someone will say something completely contradicting with their actions and it makes my head spin. For example, I hear from someone in my life talk all the time about how they just can't lose weight, but they try really hard. No really, they do. Well, claiming you have NO time to go to the gym (which is in your apartment complex) and then saying that you will never give up your nightly happy hour and pitcher of beer... I guess it also ties into my belief that you should just own who you are. I mean, I feel bad when people second guess their actions or make excuses as they are doing something that they know isn't right or fear others will judge. Heck, don't work out. Just don't contradict yourself so blatently. Is that harsh?

It reminds me of the comment that Glory87 posted about a while back that I have gotten myself at times, which is, "You mean you will never eat fast food again? What kind of life is that?" I will survive just fine, I think.

Nelie- the same thing happened to me with sleep. I don't sleep as much, but I sleep much better (I fall into bed as well).
Old 11-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #11  

These made me laugh.
I have a friend who always, without fail, orders a diet coke with her high-cal meal, so that she won't 'go overboard.'
Old 11-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #12  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

One of my favorites was when I was talking to this woman at the gym who had been going there for a year but hadn't lost anything. She hadn't been watching what she was eating at all. She said to me she would cut off her left arm to lose the weight I had lost. So I asked her if she would be willing to write down everything she ate. She didn't have an answer.

Since that time she has really gotten it together, but it still blows my mind how people feel like they would give anything to lose weight, but they won't do the simplest (yet sometimes time consuming) things. I was definitely in this camp for many years so I certainly can't judge too harshly.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #13  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

For those here who don't know, I work in a old time hamburger joint! Family owned, a great place to work, NO healthy food.
One customer of mine will order a Triple Bacon Burger, Large Fries (which is 12 oz worth) and a quart of potato salad, then order a small diet pepsi.

Another customer I get always comes in and complains that we don't sell healthy food then procedes to order a cheesburger, fry and a large (32 oz) milkshake.(This is a 2-3 time a week customer) There is a subway a mile from where I work, you want healthier??? go there!

I try not to judge my customers, I love most of them, I love my job. If it wasn't for the customers I wouldn't have a job. But sometimes I just wonder about them. (It wasn't too long ago though that I would eat burgers and frys for dinner 5 days a week. No wonder I gained weight! )
Old 11-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
"After I ate the hamburger helper, I read the package and it said I'd had three servings!" After ????
Susan, I really and truly HOPE that this is an overstatement on your part or the part of the person with whom you were talking!!! 3 servings of Hamburger Helper is a LOT!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #15  

I never really thought about it like that. I was surprised that someone who seems to act like they watch their health would read the info after they ate it. I mean, she had to read the directions, didn't she?

Now I'm curious. I'll be the one in the hamburger helper aisle reading the package
Closed Thread