Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Question Nutritionist

I'm really considering meeting with a nutritionist. I posted a while back (someplace on here) about a nutritionist across the hall from my work. I'm kinda shying away from her because she wants to base everything on blood type. Of all the people who replied to that post, only 1 had anything positive to say about the blood type diet. My DD, who is a nurse (soon), works with a man who went on the blood type diet and has lost quite a bit of weight. She's going to ask him about cravings, moods, etc and fill me in. (Haven't ruled it out completely).

Anyway, I digress. I'm trying to find my way around the Aetna (our ins.) site to see what they provide for weight loss. (If they have the "magic pill", I'll be sure and let you know). I think they provide a nutritionist at a low cost.

Do any of you know if ins. companies do that?

What are some of the questions I should ask. I don't want to go in there and be downgraded, emotionally beaten up or in any other way made to feel inferior because I don't have "the perfect body", whatever that is.

TIA
Old 11-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #2  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

First of all, I think seeing a nutritionist is a wonderful idea. For anyone! Even people who don't necessarily need a diet to lose weight, but maybe need a special diet for other health problems.

2ndly, our "perfect body" is always the one "we don't have." So let's forget about perfection & work toward acceptance!

Last point: any nutritionist or doctor or nurse or any kind of health professional who makes you feel "downgraded" is not worth your time, money, or effort. Always seek 2nd opinions, and find someone you like & trust to be your doctor or other health care professional. As I always say, I have an a**, and I don't need anyone else to be one to me!

Good luck with your nutritionist! Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
As I always say, I have an a**, and I don't need anyone else to be one to me!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I needed that! Thank you!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

You HAVE to feel comfortable with your doctor AND their nurses. I love my OBGYN, but one of her nurses makes me feel inferior for having children so young and ALWAYS comments on my weight. I avoid going there, just so I don't have to deal with her.

Some insurances will cover nutritionists, and many of those require a referral from your primary care doctor.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I would call the company to find out your coverage. Mine covered one when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes (I thought she was full of it though, but that is another story)
Old 11-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #6  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I just pm'd somebody about this. Here's what I said
Quote:
You have to be careful, there are a lot of "weight loss" docs that just want to put you on diet pills or their very expensive liquid diets. Neither of which seems like a good idea for long term weight loss and maintenance.
However, if you find a good one - I got mine through a referral from my doctor - it's great. She is very encouraging, has a simple meal plan, available for phone call support. For me it's the accountability. Every 2 weeks I see her or her dietician and show my food log and weigh in and ask questions. It's only been a little over a month, but I've lost 10 lbs now and feel like I could eat this way forever.
Hope that helps!
If you have any health issues related to weight, your insurance may cover a "real" nutritionist, not the weight loss clinic kind. I have Type 2 diabetes, so they're covering mine, at least for the time being.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi. I am going to a nutritionist. I called my insurance company and low and behold they pay for an indefinite number of visits. Yup as often as I'd like. All I have to pay is the co-pay. My doctor recommended a nutritionist to me who accepts my insurance, so I called her up, told her my story and also told her that I have a pretty hefty co-pay, $40.00 could she work with me on it. Well, I give her $10.00 a visit. The first few times I went once a week, now I'm going every 2 weeks, might make it every 3 soon.

As for what to tell her, tell her how you came to be the weight that you are and what your long term weight goals are. She will guide you and ask you the right questions. Just be 100% honest with her because you want her to be able to help you the best that she can. And if you're not happy with something that she tells you or advises you let her know. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Understand that the term "nutritionist" doesn't mean anything. There are no credentials required to call yourself a nutritionist. Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't nutritionists out there who can give good advice in spite of the lack of credentials.

The fact that she wants to base her advice on the Blood Type Diet would make me steer clear of her. The Blood Type Diet "works" because it makes healthy eating recommendations that would work for anyone. However, there is no scientific evidence to support the author's assertion that certain foods are "good" or "bad" for people with a specific blood type.

I would suggest you look for a "registered dietitian" instead of a nutritionist.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #9  

Found this on mayoclinic.com:

Anyone can use the term nutritionist , even without any formal education or training. It's not a professionally regulated term — which means that there are no minimum qualifications for a person to call himself or herself a nutritionist.

Technically, only registered dietitians can use the term dietitian , which is a professionally regulated term. A registered dietitian is required to meet specific educational and professional standards.

Some states require a license to provide nutrition counseling. In these states, a person practicing without a license may be subject to prosecution. Other states offer certification or registration, limiting the use of particular titles — such as dietitian or nutritionist — to those meeting certain requirements. However, in these states, people who aren't certified or registered can still provide nutrition counseling.

Some practitioners use the terms dietitian and nutritionist interchangeably, and some prefer one title over the other. So it can be confusing. If you're looking for credible and reliable nutrition information, find someone who is a licensed dietitian or nutritionist.
Closed Thread