Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 12:10 PM   #1  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thumbs down Everyday Exercisers #4!

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to any newcomers. This thread focuses on healthy weightloss and overall fitness through regular exercise. Our goal is to stay active, hydrated and make healthy eating choices.

Come join us in our healthy lifestyle.

Last edited by MarvintheMartian; 01-08-2002 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:39 PM   #2  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Well, I thought it was time for a new thread! Three pages is a bit much, don't ya think?

Welcome back, Heidi! I just adore 80's music, and you're right, it does get ya pumped! Curves plays a good variety of tunes, including oldies, 80's, and country too, all with a dance beat to it, so it's usually good, but when a really good song comes up, I really get motivated... one my new house is built, I plan on getting myself a treadmill, and music will definitely be on the agenda! Good for you!

Debbie and Pamela, sounds like you guys are doing good! I know what you mean about being sick though, Debbie... DH and I still haven't shaken this cold that we both got for Christmas.... *sigh*

As for me, I've been on shaky ground the last week or so... I haven't been as good as I should, and part of that is because of this nagging cough... we haven't been sleeping well, and it's really hard to get motivated, when all you want to do is sleep! It's slowly getting better though, so I'm doing my best!

Talk to you later gals!
Old 01-08-2002, 10:14 AM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Good morning!

Welcome Karen.... I'm sure you'll love it in this thread! Great support... and motivation too!

I hope you're starting to feel better, Debbie.... I know that I finally am, and it's great!

I finally dragged my butt to Curves last night, and felt so much the better for it! Amazing how sometimes, you just need to start doing it, without really thinking about it, and it works!

Anyway, tonight is bowling night, and I've got a really busy day ahead of me, so I better scoot.... have a great day everyone!
Old 01-08-2002, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default good morning

Glad to see ya were able to get to Curves , Marv
As for me, I was up all night (no joke) coughing. Exercise will most likely be on hold again today
Walking thru the house sends me into coughing attacks that last 10-20 minutes! Marv, did ya pass your cold on to me?? LOL j/k
I sure hope it gets better soon, Cant take much more of this sitting !
At least my water intake has skyrocketed!!! Being sick has made me thirsty and water helps the coughing!! Thats 1 plus in this whole mess I suppose.
Keep moving ladies !
Debbie
Old 01-09-2002, 12:30 PM   #5  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Keep on drinking that water, Debbie! It helps! And I promise that it'll get better soon!

For me, I'm exhausted today. I was out late last night because of bowling, and then up early this morning to organize a staff breakfast...

But, regardless, today I am off to Curves first thing after work. I always feel better after I do!
Old 01-09-2002, 01:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs down Hello Friends

Good Afternoon
I finally broke down and went to the doctor and I have pneumonia. Lots of meds now, so I should be feeling better in a few days
I was also told that very light exercise.. as long as I do not overdo it, is actually good for my lungs while Im sick. It helps to expel the yuck and also gets the blood pumping to circulate those germ fighting antibodies!
This morning I went for a brisk 15 min walk around the block.
I feel much better about myself
I'm looking into buying a treadmill. I have a budget of 500 or less. Can anyone give me some pointers on what I should look for before I buy?? If I need to spend more to get quality..thats fine, I'll just wait an extra few weeks before I buy I figured you ladies could help me with what to look for.. before a pushy salesperson tries to convince me to buy something I dont need!!
Have a Good day everyone!
Debbie
Old 01-11-2002, 04:06 PM   #7  

Debbie, I don't have much advice about treadmills but I think maybe Sears has some good deals right now. Or check a thrift store. I don't know if this helps or not.

I can't get rid of this cold. Blech. Dh and I had a big fight today too so all I want to do is curl up in my bed and sleep. I don't want to eat or do anything (I did eat though!). Hopefully things will be getting better (not that they're super terrible right now, just needs some work). Sorry to ramble!

In Christ,
Pamela
Old 01-13-2002, 08:18 PM   #8  

Hi everyone! I see some familiar names on this thread. I don't know if you remember me. I slipped into the black hole of couch potato behavior and sweets and haven't posted since about the end of September.

Well, I am back, a few pounds heavier unfortunately. I started following my WW plan on my own again and I am doing yoga more regularly. Best of all, we just bought an eliptical trainer so I don't have much excuse not to exercize. My husband will nag me if I don't do it.

I see some of you are under the weather. I hope you are feeling better soon. I hope it's okay if I re-join the thread!.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:25 AM   #9  

Well, it's been a week since I posted. Pamela, I hope you are feeling better from your cold and Debbie, I certainly hope you are recovering.

Here's how my week went:

Sun - 45 min yoga, 20 min. Eliptical trainer (ET)
Mon - Walked 20 min at lunch, 30 min yoga, 20 min ET.
Tues - Walked 20 min, 30 min yoga, 20 min ET
Wed - Walked 20 min, 40 min swimming
Thurs - 30 min yoga
Fri - 30 min swimming
Sat - 1 hour yoga

I lost 5.5 pounds this week and 1.5 in in my hips and 2 in. in my waist. I know the first week is usualy a big one for me so I will have to lower my expectations for next week. I drank a lot of water (about 100 oz.) at the beginning of the week and didn't get any sweet cravings but at the end of the week I didn't drink as much water and did end up binging on some low fat ice cream. So I've got to keep up with my water this week.

Today I plan to take my daughter sledding (we had about 4 inches of powdery snow yesterday) and do yoga and 20 min. on the ET.

Have a good week everyone!

Last edited by Stamper; 01-20-2002 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:00 PM   #10  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thumbs down

Stamper! Welcome back, girl! And great loss! You are doing wonderfully!

As for me, I've been so busy lately with the housebuilding stuff that I've hardly had time to think about losing weight! I have been going to Curves though, so all is not lost! Oh well, another week, another new start, right?

This week:
Mon ~ Curves
Tues ~ Bowling
Wed ~ Curves
Thurs ~ Shaper Ball Workout
Fri ~ Curves
Sat/Sun ~ Shaper Ball Workout/Day off

And my mini goal for this week (besides doing all of the above!) is to up my water intake again! I've slacked off there, and I know I need to keep it up!

So, let's get movin!
Old 01-21-2002, 01:04 PM   #11  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Oops, I forgot!

I meant to ask you about your elliptical...

What kind is it? Where'd you get it? And how much did you pay for it? Your favorite, and least favorite aspects?

(I know I'm nosy!, but I would like to try one out...I've heard that they're great!)

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2002, 01:40 PM   #12  

Default Going to the gym at 4pm

Hi!
I will be going to the gym at 4.
I don't like sweating.
But ... I need top lose the bulge!
Thanks for your support.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:00 PM   #13  

Marvin, how are things going with your house? Are you doing some of the work? Sounds like you have a good plan for the week. How do you like the shaper ball workout? I don't know much about that. Good luck on drinking your water.

We bought a Precor Eliptical Trainer. It was pretty expensive. It was on sale for about $2,000 I think. Our friends got one for just about $600 at Sears. My husband really wanted a good one because he used to run a lot and has trouble now with his knees when he runs. This one has an incline board that goes up and down to sort of simulate hills and you change the resistance with a magnetic system (where our friend's changes resistance by tightening the breaks, which will eventually wear out). It has several programs on it.

It was very hard to do the first couple of times. It seems to work your upper thighs and abs and buttocks where I felt like the treadmill at the YMCA was more work on my knees, calves and feet. I have some problems with my feet and knees so this is better for me. I get a really good workout with it. It was a big expense, but we live modestly in other ways.

Chickadee: Have a good workout at the Gym. I hate to sweat too. I don't mind as much at home where no one sees me sweat. One thing though, I never sweat as much as the guys! I used to go to a Step Aerobics class at the YMCA A LONG time ago. I would always try not to be next to a guy because they would have sweat flying off of them. Yuck! But I think it cleans out your pours to sweat so it is a good thing.

I'm off work today. I did 45 min yoga, shoveled our new snow (which was only about an inch) and did 22 minutes on the E.T. I hope to work up to 1/2 hour.

Plan for rest of week:
Tues - Yoga and ET
Wed - Swim
Thurs - Yoga class (I take my daughter) and ET later if time
Fri - take a break because I have evening plans
Sat - Yoga class

Have a good week!
Old 01-21-2002, 03:07 PM   #14  

Default Exercise

Stamper, you are a busy bee!
My hubby and I are just starting, and we manage to go to the Fitness Center on Mondays & Tuesdays.
The rest of the week, I work late, and don't come back home until
six, which is kinda late for the gym. But I want to start my WW tape.
You are right, guys sweta more than we do!
You should see my hubby )
Take Care
Chantal/Chickadee4ever

Old 01-23-2002, 05:04 PM   #15  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hallo!

Thanks for asking, Stamper, the house is coming along pretty good! We're getting one of those ready-to-move houses, (like a modular, only in one piece), and we have a separate contractor doing the basement work. Phew! I tell ya, it's still a lot of work. We've finally gotten the financing all figured out, so they will be able to start the actual building asap. We are demolishing our old house to make room for the new, so we have to move in with my mom for about 3 months.... that should be interesting! One good thing is that I can start going to aqua-jogging classes with her!

I LOVE my exercise ball! It's actually a pretty good workout, and it's different. For example, I love that I can do crunches on it, without hurting my back.... it's great for that. I just got Kathy Smith's ball workout, so I'm gonna try that tomorrow night. Should be okay, I think!

I have problems with my knees too, which is part of the reason that I'm starting to look at an elliptical machine rather than a treadmill... I think I'll try to stop at the exercise place in the city tomorrow and see what they've got! $2000 is a little out of my price range, and Sears has got a sale on now, so I'll have to look into it. Of course, I shouldn't get one until the new house is up!

Chantal, good for you and your dh! I wish that my dh would work out with me, but alas, he's about 90 lbs. dripping wet, and gets plenty of exercise at work... (he's an agricultural mechanic) Oh well!

Anyway, I'm drinking my water like a good girl, and I'm off to Curves after work, so I'll talk to you later!
Closed Thread