Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #1  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy Stalled and Sad and need some support

6 days at the same weight. It doesn't sound like much, but I started this new eating plan with a nutritionist only 3 weeks ago. I lost 8 lbs the first 2 weeks - much of it water, I'm sure. Now, nothing. I would be happy with 1/2 a lb! I am exercising, sticking to the food plan - a high protein, good carb, high fiber deal. The hardest parts for me is 3 distinct meal times and 1 snack, and NO grazing in between. No artificially sweetened water or gum between meals. Exercising 5x a week (honestly I am only making 3-4).
The worst is that the nutritionist and the dietician both said I could call anytime for a pep talk or ask questions and I have called twice and not gotten an answer.
This is just like so many times I have gone on diets, I do real well for a week or two - usually more weight than this, then stall and end up cheating. I probably need to increase my water and exercise and just try to stumble through a few more days. Can anyone help boost me up and help me find the motivation to stick it out a few more days? The weekend is coming fast and it can be a scary time.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 130/103/107

Height: 5'3"

I hear ya! I was at a stand still last week too. Then I changed my diet and I lost a pound. I am kinda shocked they won't let you have 2 snacks. I hear it's recommended to have a snack in between because it keeps your metabolism moving.

Anyway, you are exercising and muscle weighs more than fat so you are probably losing but gaining muscle. I learned that you can't live by the scale numbers. I am sure you are losing weight. Eating right and exercising is the key, and that is exactly what you are doing.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

6 days is not a plateau. Don't let shows like the Biggest Loser give you a false expectation of weekly big number weight loss - that was definitely NOT my real life experience. When I was losing weight, there were many weeks where I didn't lose any weight. There were many weeks when I was happy to lose a single pound.

Try to find goals that are not scale related so you can still feel victorious and successful even if the scale doesn't budge. Goals like - exercising 4 times a week, trying a new healthy recipe once a week, eating 4+ servings of vegetables every day, getting to bed on time 4 nights a week, making your water goals 5 times a week - these are goals that YOU can control. You can not control the scale. Bribe yourself for sticking to your plan. If you work out and eat right for a week - massage or pedicure or something else nice. No matter what the scale says, if you work out and eat right every week, you are doing fabulous things for your long term health. Your long term health is WAY more important than any number on the scale.

You should follow a meal plan that works for YOU. If you need snacks, eat snacks. If you want flavored water, drink flavored water. You need something that works for YOU not other people on that plan. You need something you can stick to, not something that feels like punishment. General diet plans are a good start, but in my opinion they need to be tweaked for the individual because we are all different.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #4  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

This does sound rather whiney when I read it again. I guess I am too focused on the number. But I don't find meeting my water goals or food goals very exciting or rewarding. I guess I expect to see 1-3 lbs a week and that just can't always happen.
Thanks for the input -
Kim
Old 10-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #5  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

You're doing GREAT!!! Don't stop!!!! Sometimes our bodies just need a little time to adjust. Also, TOM can definitely cause weight gain and/or affect weight loss. You CAN do this!!!! Weight loss is never an even downward spiral, sometimes it may stall or even show a slight gain. It is an overall pattern that is important. Have you taken your measurements? I've lost 4 inches from my waist and the scale has only shown a 4lb loss.

Good luck! Be strong!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Ottoette -

I agree with Glory87...find some non scale goals to feel proud of. I also think that you need to tweak your plan for what works for you. as long as you are not adding calories and are burning more than you take in, you will lose weight. I'm sorry if the promised support from your nutritionist and dietician isn't happening...but we are always here for ya!!

I don't wanna depress you, but you probably will be struggling with your relationship with food for the rest of your life....so find a plan you can live with and still reach your goals. Be prepared for stalls...cause they are gonna happen. I can guarantee that if you stick with a healthy plan that includes more calories burned than consumed you will lose weight. If you don't...the alternative is probably gaining more unwanted weight. Not much of an alternative...YOU CAN DO THIS...you already are doing it!! Just keep on plugging.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Nuttin' wrong with whiney....we've all been there....
Old 10-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

6 days - I could see where you'd be frustrated. It might show up on the 7th or 8th or even 9th day. I know it is sooo much easier to stay on track when you see the numbers falling, but that doesn't always happen and you just have to be strong. It is bound to show up eventually.

I'm also seeing a nutritionist, but like somebody else said you have got to tweak it to make it work fo you. I for the most part listen to her, but
I have made some small adjustments to make it more doable for me. She may be the nutritionist buy NOBODY knows me better then me. The most important thing is that you find something that you can STICK to. Next time you see her bounce some ideas around with her, tell her what you like and let her find a way to work it into your diet. If she's not flexible she might not be the right nutritionist for you. Good luck and hang in there, you can do this, you CAN do this.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

I want to agree with everyone else! you are doing a great job!!!!! I get on the scale way too much I get disappointed with the number but then I take my measurements and I have lost 5 inches in my bottom half in 2 months. I have also lost about 3 inches in my top half!! It keeps me going knowing that the inches are coming off. Plus exercising and gaining mucsle will show slow movement on the scale!!

Keep up the good work, and ALWAYS come here for the needed support. I am on this site 7 days a week and throughout most of the day if you need anything. (I guess I really don't have a life )
Old 10-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

If you need to focus on a number, buy a body fat monitor and use it instead of, or in addition to, the scale. At least that will tell you if you're losing fat, which you may very well be even though the scale number is standing still. And isn't losing fat the whole point?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Give yourself a pat on the back--it's hard to completely change your lifestyle overnight. Exercising 3 or 4 days a week is a fabulous start. When I first started my exercise program, it was all I could do to manage three days a week and I only did that because I had an appointment with a trainer on those three days (so I either showed up or I lost $50). Now, a year later, I'm up to 7 days a week, but I can assure you I didn't just wake up one morning and start going to the gym seven days a week.

I agree with a couple of the other comments that if you aren't happy with your diet, you should consider tweaking what your nutritionist and dietician are telling you or push back on them to give you something that is better suited to you. It is possible to eat 3 meals a day and 3-4 snacks per day and lose wieght. I pretty much have to eat every 2 to 3 hours during the day. I belong to Bally's and their nutritionists for the most part insist on eating 6 to 7 times per day (on the theory that eating more often keeps your metabolism ramped up). Remember, this isn't a short-term solution; you need a plan you can live with for the rest of your life if you want to maintain your weight loss.

As for the artificially sweetened drinks, I also had a lot of trouble giving them up. Now, my deal with myself is that I drink water (plain or with a lemon) during the day and, as a reward, I am allowed one soft drink with dinner. This seems like a reasonable compromise.

I lost weight really really slowly, usually at most only 1.5 pounds per week. I never had that first week where you lose a bunch of weight all at once. What really helped me get past the frustration and discouragement was to set a long-term goal. I started counting calories in Nov 05 and told myself I only had to do it until Feb 06. If I wasn't working by then, I would try something else. Well, wouldn't you know, by the time Feb 06 rolled around, it was pretty clear it was working and I was well on my way to my goal (in fact, around that time I was so confident of my ability to meet my goal that I lowered it by ten pounds).
Old 10-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Wow, six DAYS??? LOL I have been stalled almost 6 WEEKS!

Still, we all like to see those scales move! Hope yours are more cooperative soon!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: BMI:32.1/27.1/24.6

It is so frustrating when the scale won't budge, especially when we've been diligent in our eating and exercising.

But as so many have already said, 6 days is nuttin'. Hang in there!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

If you've been on this plan for 3 weeks and have lost eight pounds, you are averaging more than 2.6 pounds per week. So, you have achieved your goal of 1-3 pounds per week.

I have a spreadsheet where I document how many calories I eat each day, how many minutes of exercise I do, and how much weight loss I post at my weigh ins on Thursdays. I also try to track how things fall with my cycle to see if I can determine a pattern so that non-losses or slight gains make sense and dont result in a panic-induced binge.

Try to look at the big picture. 8 pounds in 3 weeks meets your goal.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Hang in there

I have been counting calories for almost 4 weeks. The first week I lost 1 lb. The second week I lost 2 more lbs. This week's weigh in had me gaining 2 lbs. (granted I over ate a few days). I was soooo discouraged. I weighed myself 3 days later and I had lost those 2 lbs. again.

The thing is, I think our body's are fickle things. It depends on water weight, calorie intake (low or high) and our excersie. It's hard to pin point what exactly is makeing us lose/gain weight. I only know that if you keep on your plan, you will lose weight (you're bound too!).

Keep up the good work. I think you will see results. It just might take a little time (just like me).
Closed Thread