Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #1  

Default After the Fall

I lost almost 100 lbs then the whole process just sort fell apart. I'm up almost 60 lbs and just *cannot* find the wherewithal to get going again. I guess alot of people do this but I'm not finding whatever it is I need to know to get over this and get back on track.

Have you ever relapsed? How did you recover? How did you get going again?

Thanks,

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Barb! So nice to see you back. Relapsed? Me? Never!! Or maybe that should be ALWAYS!!!

Ok, so you have put some back on...that's the reality. Now the question is - are you ready to stop the gaining in it's tracks and begin again? Don't wait until you have gained it all back. STOP IT NOW!!!!

You said you are not sure where to begin..then let us help.

Tell me about the time you lost 100 lbs. What was your plan? What did you eat? What was your exercise like? What are you doing now? What needs to change?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

It's great to catch now - only 60lbs up. That means you're still 40lbs down!!!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #4  

Hi, Sandi,

The basic plan was to get up at 4:30 a.m. to get to the gym for half an hour of cardio and half an hour of weights. Then I'd walk for 45-60 minutes during my lunch break. My food plan was basically Atkins but I wasn't very consistent with it. (I stayed low carb, but would have some fairly high calorie days.) In the spring, things finally stalled out and I wasn't making progress anywhere. (Then there was a massive reorganization at work, a trip to Disney and a trip to Chicago...) I finally just quit doing. I just got tired of trying so hard and not really making it.

I've started back to the gym, but I'm still erratic. (I do have to say I've got the greatest YMCA guys in the world though. Welcomed me back, find me each morning to say something encouraging, that they believe in me...they're great...I just don't believe in me.) I just can't seem to get a hold of my food plan and it just blows anything good I'm doing at the gym. I have a bad day at work (and there's been a lot of those this summer and more too come) and I come home and graze. Weekends with the girls are a free-for-all. I know I'm doing it but I keep promising that tomorrow I'll be perfect. I'm falling into every thought trap I know and I know I'm doing it and I'm just not stopping.

I think if I could just fake it for two weeks, I'd be back in the groove. I'm just in a bad place and probably will be for four or five more months but I don't want to be in a worse place. But I'm not rebounding at all, can't get my grip to try again.

Thanks for the help -- I appreciate it.

Barb
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguard View Post
It's great to catch now - only 60lbs up. That means you're still 40lbs down!!!

I just wish I'd caught myself at 10 or 20. Just kicking myself all over. sigh.

Barb
Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #6  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Barb, My heart goes out to you. I have been there as have somany of us who post here. I think the fact you are reaching out is a great first step. I do think faking it is a good idea. So, you are back at the gym - that is a great first step. Maybe just some mini-steps can get you back in the right direction. Can you make a food plan that is maybe not what you were doing on your lowest calorie days but is better than what you are doing now? Give yourself permission for a free meal when you get together with your friends with plans to get right back with it? I know you will have challenges but you can get back there, don't give up. Drink your water.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #7  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Been there, done that. I been trying off and on for the last year to get back into the right mode to lose weight. I do know that having some place to go to that will help keep me accountable is important. Coming here to 3FC forum, joining in on the challenges and posting on the weekly weigh-in treads helped me immensely when I originally lost my 100+ lbs and I'm counting on it helping re-lose those lbs now!! You're going in the right direction by returning to the gym. I agree that you're not getting the utmost from your workout because you're still trying to get a handle on your food plan. But those workouts are going to help keep you from gaining!

I hope to see more posts from you!!

Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I know I'm doing it but I keep promising that tomorrow I'll be perfect.
Barb - Perfect is a pretty hard place to be. Ok, exercise is on it's way. Food is where you need control. Maybe baby steps? I think ledom had a great idea. Get yourself better than you are now. Do you think you could handle 2000-2300 calories a day? That would leave you some room for goodies, yet start to control your intake. I know you were atkins before, is that what you want to do again? I'm a calorie counter, so of course I lean towards that.

You said weekends were a free for all. Ok, do you think this weekend you could have a healthy breakfast on both days? Maybe start there??

I know this is hard, but you got to start somewhere. You are not alone! I believe you can and will do this!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keillynsmom View Post
I think if I could just fake it for two weeks, I'd be back in the groove.
You can fake it for two weeks. Give yourself 14 days. Plan it on your calendar. Mark off the days. Get 14 postcards to send to yourself. You can believe in yourself for 14 days. Sit down and write out a plan. Plan your meals, your exercise. Set yourself up for success but NOT perfection! Each day, send yourself a postcard with your feelings for that day and mail it to yourself (put it in an envelope if you're worried about privacy). Send words of encoragement. Send triumphs and lessons learned. I am the queen of faking it! You can totally do this.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Lets see I started at 490 and got down to 300. Then I let things get away and shot back up to 420. So yes I know what it's like to gain back and lose control again. It took me 10 years to get back on track. I had gained everything back but 70 lbs and when you weigh 420 that does not seem like a big difference from 490. For myself I just got to the point of not being able to function. I was out of breath just going to the bathroom at work.

I don't have a magic answer for how to get back on track. You just have to take it one day at a time. Each day you will get stronger. I will tell you that it is easier the second time around. I can see where I made mistakes the first time and avoid doing that again.

I would really encourage you to try something besides Atkins. I just feel like Atkins is good to lose that extra 20 or 30 lbs but it's not something that most people can stay on. And if not done right it can be down right unhealthy. I count calories and follow the American Heart Association guideline's. If you need something a little easier to follow than counting calories then maybe try weight watchers. I believe they teach you to eat the right portions and the right types of foods. However I think the best way is portion control. Just eat less maybe 1600 to 1800 calories a day.

You are already exercising so starting to eat right is just a step away. We are all here to help and root for you. You can do this. Tomorrow eat healthy and I guarantee that Wednesday will be easier and Thursday a little more easy etc...
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

If you wish to take the weight off again with Atkins, join us in the Atkins forum. It's the one thing that has worked for me. I did tweak it to include extra fruits and whole grains and believe me, I eat healthier than I ever did before. Don't beat yourself up over the regain, it happens to a lot of us. I had lost 90 lbs. at one time (using diet pills and low-fat/low calories) and eventually gained 87 of them back. So, it does happen. It's no reason that you can't get it back off. You have made the right first step in realizing that you want to take it off again. Congratulations.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote