Old 10-13-2006, 02:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default I don't get myself! (long!)

I was just flipped through an old notebook, which has my measurements and weight from the past like 5 years. And I just noticed that I'm at the exact same spot I was 6 months ago.. how can I even say I'm trying to lose weight when I'm clearly NOT!?! I'm so frustrated with myself, with exercise, with diet.. everything diet related!

This is what bothers me, so today I ate a bowl of pasta for lunch (slept thru breakfast but it was a good thing to sleep), for a snack I had rice pudding (kozy shack single serving size), 1/5 cup of sliced peaches, and for dinner we had homemade fajitas with chicken breast, lettuce, low fat sour cream in a wrap. I also had a low fat latte, and ginger ale. Normal people LOSE weight from having days eating like that, and I GAIN! I also have been exercising 3-4 times a week for the past 2 weeks, and the scale isn't budging at all.

Why is this SO hard? I'm not going to give up the exercise (training for a 5km run), but the food isn't making a difference, 3 weeks ago when I was eating fast food.. I wasn't gaining then, so why bother putting the time and energy into eating and planning low cal/low fat foods!

I'm just really lacking the motivation to continue when things are moving so slowly... to add to everything? My boyfriend decided he wants to lose about 20-30 pounds, which will take him 2 months tops... more frustrations!

I just want to slap myself silly.. like, get it together woman, this isn't how you want to live your life!!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Have you taken the time really calculate the number of calories that you are consuming (both solid and liquid)? It may be worthwhile to take a week out of a previous or upcoming month and calculate it out. It is a matter of calories in vs. calories out. A single fajita wrap can have over 200 calories, and much depends on your portion size of even healthy-seeming foods. Even if you don't want to become a calorie-counter, you may find it helpful to add everything up for a week to see where you are calorie-wise. A lot of people have found this helpful.

It seems you've lost 2 pounds, so congratulations on that!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

Maybe it would help you to go see a nutritionist/dietician and formulate a plan. It's possible you have health problems that make you lose weight at a slower rate than most people, or it's possible that you're not fully aware of how much you actually are consuming.

Don't be so hard on yourself! It is frustrating, and it is difficult, but that's no reason to beat yourself up over it. Try to get back into the swing of things... if you know the behaviours you had when you've lost weight in the past, do your best to recreate them. If you still feel like it's not working, go talk to a doctor and see what you two can work out together. But most of all, don't quit and don't drive yourself crazy with this! :P
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

OMG, I sooooo feel your pain. I found an old calendar from 2003 with my same weights plastered all over January... then in february, they slowing disappear (giving up), reappear in July, disappear in September and don't appear again. Hello? Pattern anyone?

The good thing is that your measurements are the exact same and NOT larger. Do you know over a 5 year period, most women gain 13 pounds? I know, I know, it's hard to see the bright side here but I gained wieght since 2003 so I'm a little jealous of you!

I seconded the idea that you may be consuming more calories than you realize. Especially with pasta - I always eat more than a serving. In the latest Fitness magazine, they asked women to estimate the number of calories in their dinner and boy, even I was fooled and I consider myself somewhat of an expert! The turkey burger hamburger, salad and tiny single serving pecan pie was nearly 1100 calories but it sure didn't look like it.

Hang in there, my dear!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Thanks for the replies! Sometimes thinking about dieting and exercise everyday gets overwhelming.

I tracked a couple of days in fitday to see the amount of calories I am consuming, first day was 2009, and the second day (yesterday) was 1873, fat being 21% and 20%. I was thinking my calories needed to be higher since I am doing a fair amount of exercise (1 hour of kickboxing and next day running for 30 minutes). I may need to lower that though.

I don't go see doctors about weight loss anymore. The first time I went to see a doctor about it she said to cut back on what I was eating (you can go below 1200 calories/day while exercising 2 hours a day? I think not), the second one dismissed me, 3rd sent me to buy a diet book, as did the 4th. The last doctor I expressed my concerns to? Told me I had diabetes and sent me for tests, all came back negatives, he was baffled, and got the tests redone. Doctors = evil!

Jessica - you did a triathelon, I think thats more impressive!

I think I just expected to see some kind of results after 2 weeks of exercising nearly everyday and making good food choices. Plus it doesn't help that no one in my life understands, my one friend is also trying to lose weight, only she's taking diet pills and starving herself.. talking to her is like talking to a brick wall.

Thanks for letting me vent, I do appreciate all the ideas.. and definitely plan to log all my food into fitday for the next couple of weeks. Phew, and if you read all of this? Gold star! I'm really babbling today..

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #6  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I agree.. try not to be too hard on yourself Sometimes that's easier said than done, but it's good to remember.. what we're doing is already difficult and we deserve many "way to go's" and "good for me's" for doing it So good for you!!

I also suggest revisiting tracking your calories on a longer term basis. Something I read while going through old posts was that some people had to increase their caloric intake a bit because of the amount of exercise they are doing. If you didn't gain weight while eating junk food, then perhaps it would be safe to increase your intake with healthy foods and see if you lose weight that way?

Good luck and WAY TO GO!!!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #7  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Swimgirl this was very helpful to me!!

Womens Nutrition Health Guide
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #8  
Believe

Hang in there! Trust me, giving up control of your food intake - even if you continue your current exercise routine - will only lead to more heartache! While you have have gotten away with eating fast food three weeks ago, but it will eventually catch up with you if you do it on a consistent basis. It takes both exercise and diet to lose weight and keep it off.

But the fact that you have are

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl View Post
at the exact same spot I was 6 months ago.
is proof that you are on the right track and that you can do it! I agree with everyone else that you need to track your calories. It wouldn't surprise me if you needed to increase your calorie intake because you're kicking butt in the exercise department.

Good luck!
Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote