Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Smile Weight Loss & Chit Chat #216

Hello and to the Jaded Ladies site!

We are a group of ladies that come here for support and encouragement on our weight loss struggles, and we also find time for some chitchatting. So please, won't you join us? New members are always welcome.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Marti - I am so particular in what type of a robe (housecoat) that I like. I want one with no puff sleaves, no buttons. Zipper or pullover, please. No long sleeves, not too light in color, preferabaly a print, but no huge print, must be long but no side slits. no mandarin collars, patch pocket is good, but no side seam pocket. See what I mean? I had a heck of a time finding the one I have now, and it's worn out! That's why I'm going to make my own. I've done it before, years ago.

Sassy - how about if you make a smaller goal this time? Say, vow that you will lose 3 pounds before November 1st, or something doable like that? Or as Cristi says, just take it a day at a time, and see how that goes. Personally, I don't do well with challenges, and that's why I didn't join in the one this week. I'm the type of person who could get all weirded out by not making it too many weeks in a row, and I want to stay positive. Anyway, you'll work it out, sweetie, and we're here to support you while you do.

Cristi - I don't think I mentioned that I really like your avatar. Your supper sounds great. I just love easy to assemble ones like that. Neal and Katie had leftovers today since I was busy at church.

Julie - ah, my allergies are driving me crazy, too. And the one OTC medicine that really took care of it was Tylenol Sinus, and they've really lessened the active ingredients in it! Not sure what's up with that, but I wish these companies would leave stuff alone, lol. No "new & improved" for me, thank you anyway, lol.

Hello to everyone else reading this.

Well the dinner at church was a big hit, and my fruit salad was the first to go at the dessert table. Seems like lots of people are diabetic, or dieting, or just like fruit. I was sort of afraid it wouldn't be eaten with all the other yummy choices, so it really tickled me that it got snapped up. Doesn't take much to make me happy, does it?

I went to the doctor with Mary before the dinner. The doc thinks Mary may have rheumatoid arthritis. (I know I didn't spell that right, but my feet are just too tired to go get the dictionary. ) They took blood for 8 different tests, and I suppose the results will be in by the first of next week. I would appreciate any prayers for her that whatever is wrong will be something she can live with. Because there is for sure something wrong.

Have a good evening, ladies!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #3  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hey Gals.

Thanks a Bunch to you ALL! I know you all are right. Now don't let that go to your heads! lol! J/K!

Cristina --> Well guess what? I finally got the stockings! Only I'm not sure if I got enough because the amount of stuff I got is more than the amount of stockings I got? I got 5 stockings and I have enough stuff to fill 10! So don't know if you want me to double up on the stockings (giving each troop double stuff) or if you have extra stockings that you need extra filling for? I figured I would just send you the stockings and the stuff and you can put them together however you want. Unless you want me to do it? Just let me know how you want it. I need to find my Christmas Cards! Not sure where they are, if not I will just write a note on a peice of paper.

But yup Hobby Lobby has all of their Xmas stuff out and 50% off! (at least up here) It is COLD and rainy outside and I think I'm getting a cold. Lastime I beat it before it actually came into full effect, or maybe it just laid dormet and now its coming back? Who knows. I got my Nyquil, I have to go and get more Dayquil so hopefully I will beat it!

Tonight we went out for dinner and I think I did pretty good. I had a salad w/ Vinegrette Dressing, didn't eat all of that, had Chicken with Goat cheese and sundried tomatoes (Yum love those) and I didn't eat all of that either and I had Steamed Broccoli with Red Peppers for a side. Then we split a dessert, but hub ate most of it.

So I think that wasn't too bad. I am sure the Goat Cheese wasn't that great for me, but it wasn't a lot. Also it was a blessing that they happened to be out of bread when we got there but the manager brought us out some fried Zucchini, but I was good and only had a few of those, they were small, like french fry size.

Well I need to go and clean out my fridge still *sigh* But I may just wait until tomorrow, we'll see..............

Last edited by Sassy_Chick; 10-11-2006 at 10:00 PM. Reason: DOH!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #4  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Evening ladies....It is chilly and rainy here today. Kind of one of those "oh. ugh!" days. I managed to get a little work done, nothing major. We had to go to the old house while the odds and ends of furniture we are selling got picked up. Then I had to follow DH to a near-by town so he could drop off his antique car at the auction. Hopefully we will make a little money on all that.
We have everything moved and cleared out over there...just have to go back and sweep, dust and get the heck out. Oh, shoot...I just remembered we have a few Christmas boxes in the attic...will it ever END?
The house is still under offer and it looks like we will find out the closing date soon. So far, so good! (The buyers have an offer)

I am hoping to actually get to some decorating in the next few days. My walls are bare so far. Mom and I are also planning to go shopping...if we ever have time.
My food consumption has not been good...but I did walk this morning before the rain started. Still haven't lost another pound...but haven't gained either. That's a plus I guess.

Sue
Old 10-12-2006, 01:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Hi Guys, just a short note. I wanted to pipe in about the counting calories thing. I bought the FitDay DVD and it said that I had to consume 3310 calories to maintain my weight of 273 when I started. Since I've been on more diets than Carter had liver pills, I decided that I tend to quit when I feel deprived. I become a person that no one wants to be around. I make it about a month and then tell myself I'd rather be dead than hungry. I have been on a 2000 calorie diet since Aug 3. Most of you would think that was nuts. How can you lose with that many calories and little or no exercise. I can't tell you why I've lost 21.5 lbs as of today, but that I must have been eating a whole lot of calories to maintain 273 lbs. I don't feel hungry because I eat alot. I cook it lighter, I've added more veggies and fruits and I drink lots of water. This weight is coming off really slowly. A 2000 calorie diet is for someone who doesn't like failure, who still likes to eat alot of food and still wants to feel like they are trying to lose weight. I don't feel like I'm on a diet. When the weight loss stops then I'll lower my count down to 1800 calories. I wanted to share this for those who don't think they can diet. This information won't help you thinner ladies but if you're over 250lbs, this might be what you need to build confidence in yourself when you see the weight finally start coming off and helps you to stick with losing weight. I'm a firm believer that if it works, don't knock it.
Sorry, my short note grew hair.
Hugs to you all.
Norma
Old 10-12-2006, 02:50 AM   #6  
a work in progress

Hi ladies...it's late, but my new meds make me a little sleepless...will need to get used to them.

Jane, hoping that the news from Mary's dr. is good. You don't have to go hunt down your dictionary...just type "dictionary" in Google and dictionary.com will come up and you can look up any word. Has a thesaurus, too I know what you mean about the robe -- I'm picky, too. I have to have a very thirsty, fluffy terrycloth wraparound that I can put on right out of the shower so I don't drip all over the floor, then I can hang it up in the bathroom to dry. Fortunately, I found some for 75% off right after Christmas and got one for me and one for Tim. Love a bargain! OK, here is my funny robe story, though...when Noah was about 2, one morning it was really cold in the house. I got out of bed wearing a pink flowered flannel nightgown, and I was still shivering, so I put on my husband's ugly red and green plaid flannel robe, and my slippers, which were grey stuffed cats -- like bunny slippers, but cats with pointy ears and whiskers, the whole nine yards. My curly brown hair looked like a bird's nest, sticking up all over the place, and my glasses were on crooked, and I was yawning...and Noah climbed up on the bed, looked at me with total adoration, and said solemnly, "Oh Mom, you are sooooooooo beautiful..." and wrapped his little arms around my neck and hugged me. LOL!!!

Norma, I totally agree with your thoughts. Slow and steady definitely the best way to do it, and eating more fruits and veggies, cooking lighter, and drinking more water are the smart way to go for sure The new USDA guidelines are changing from a certain number of servings of vegetables a day to vegetables "in abundance". There's good info at the USDA site here: http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx
and you can customize it based on your age, sex, and level of daily activity. Sounds like you are right on track!

Sue, it will eventually end, I promise And at least you are moved into your shiny new house! Fingers crossed that the sale of the old one goes smoothly...

Sassy, sounds like you and your hubby eat out pretty often -- so do Tim and I. We try to look up nutrition info for our favorite restaurants online, so we can plan what we are ordering before we go (and we already know what to order at our favorite places). An ounce of regular cheese is 3 points (low fat is 2 points) on WW -- are you familiar with how the points work? Doesn't really matter what kind of cheese, the fat and calories per ounce are about the same for most. The good thing about goat cheese, gorganzola, sharp cheddar, etc, is that the flavor is stronger, so you can usually be satisfied with a much smaller portion than with mild cheese. If a restaurant doesn't have lowfat dressing, I order it on the side, and just dip my fork in it before I spear the veggies. That way, I usually only eat about 1/4-1/3 of what they bring me. Fried zucchini is tasty, but the WW points are just too high for me to splurge on it -- 8 points for a fast food size serving, and at my weight, I need to stay at 30 points a day to keep losing. I did find a WW "oven fried" zucchini recipe that's only 2 points per serving -- haven't tried it yet, but I'll post it on the recipe thread...

OK, it's really late now...hi to all the rest of the JL's, and I'll see you soon...
Old 10-12-2006, 04:49 AM   #7  
~Believe~

Hey all.

Sue -- That is great that you are close to closing! Yes it always seems like moving is non ending. When we were moving from NY we "Thought" we had everything all packed up and in the truck when at the last minute we remembered the Storage Unit with all the Holiday stuff! lol. Its easy to forget......Hey not gaining is great!

Norma -- Good for you! Glad you found a plan that works for you! My main down fall is that I should be eating several "small" healthy meals instead of two "big" non healthy ones.

Mary Kate -- Thanks for the info. No I'm not informed on the WW points, I need to be I think it would make things a lot easier for me.

Well I won't be coming here whining anymore so that is all for me. I am off to bed.

Have a Wonderful Day Everybody!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

Mary Kate - thank you so much. We are worried because there are some many diseases it COULD be. Fear of the unknown is worst of all, as I mentioned.

I'm in a rush today, so hello to everyone reading this.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #9  
ugggg.....

Hi Everyone--just wanted to say hi!!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #10  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hiya Chickies...

Having a better day today, thank goodness. I have noticed I am a bit more irritable since Josh deployed, espeically when I don't hear from him. But let me tell ya...it totally brightens my day when I do hear from him and lasts for a while. Yes, I heard from him today. He e-mailed today...he said they are not doing much and things have quieted down some since that holiday is over. He said the time is flying by. Not sure when he will be coming home yet.

NORMA...you are right. I mentioned the high number of calories but didn't mention that they added exercise so that made it to where you would lose slowly and be okay. It just seemed really high for me when I've normally tried to keep my cals under 1800. I am working on eating more veggies and fruits. And I am proud of you for losing more! Hooray! You are doing an awesome job. And...Josh said he got the package from you and wanted me to say THANK YOU from him and the guys, made their day!

JANE...will keep Mary in my prayers, and hoping the news is good. And glad your fruit salad was a winner at the dinner. You know, I think most people are health conscious now days and go for the stuff like that for desert.

MARY KATE...hope you are having a pain free day. I loved your robe story...kids are the best! And that is just too sweet.

JULES...hope your allergies get better soon. I know a couple of weeks ago when I had it bad I didn't think it would ever end! It was pretty bad, worse this year than last I think.

SUE...hoping the sale of your old home goes through smoothly and fast! And you'll be settled in your new home and have it all decorated before you know it! Will you guys still go to Vegas this winter?

SASSY...OMG WOMAN! I thought you were just sending two stockings, one from you and one from DH. You really didn't have to do that many but THANK YOU! And yes, I do have extra stockings available. I bought 60 to start with until I heard from Josh and then and he said their is only 36 guys but to send 40 in case he missed someone, lol! So I have to take some back, quite a few back. You are a sweetie! And yes, please do include a message, or...what if I send a card to you ladies to sign??? Start with one lady and include an envelope for that person to send to the next and so on. What do you ladies think about that?

Okay, I am going to try and post three pictures here and see what happens. I wanted you ladies to see what Josh's room/bed looks like and to show you the soldier nutcracker and patriotic santa I found. Jane, your gift care went towards the cameras, Norma, yours went toward a few more cameras and carmex (lip balm). I have 6 more cameras to get, 9 more carmex (bought Wal-Mart out, lol) and get 21 razors and the socks, oh and candy canes. Waiting for the t-shirts...they've took the money out of our bank Monday and thought we would have gotten them by now. Vince is getting track of them so maybehe heard something from them today. I need to start getting this stuff together. Anyway...

Went grocery shopping this morning. Had planned on going to It Figures but stopped by Michaels after wal-Mart and this lady kept me in the scrapbook dept. for about 30-40 mns, lol. She was asking me questions and then we just started walking together and looking at the stuff. She told me she gets all her stuff at Dollar Tree and runs a daycare and they have been doing it with the kids, and on and on...I was kind of in a hurry and I could have told her so but I thought...I need to slow down and who knows, maybe she just needed to talk to someone. Then had to go to Walgreens to get copies of pictures, vacuum my vehicle out because I had to get a bale of hay at Wal-Mart. Anyway, another day where I didn't get on the computer until a little after one and I needed to sit down and relax! Trying to get some laundry done now. Anywho...let me try adding these pictures here ladies. I will delete them tomorrow Jane so that they don't take up too much space here, that is if I can get them on here.

Have a good day ladies

Oh, did you guys see all the new smilies? They are so cute! There's Halloween ones! Okay, sorry, didn'tmean to put most of them but they are so darn cute!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #11  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Default Here's the pictures...

Okay ladies...let's see if it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soldier nutcracker and patriotic santa 001.jpg (23.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Stuff for Troops 001.jpg (25.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Stuff for Troops 002.jpg (33.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #12  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Ladies

Well I've been MIA for quite awhile, and now I have a new account, because I can't remember my other account info. I'm happy to say that I've finally been sticking with plan and exercising every day since October 1, and I have started taking off some pounds again. I've been very stressed and depressed with family situations and what's been going on with my mom. She had to have another major surgery on her leg from where her bone cancer was, and they had to put a new kadavar bone, steel rod and steel plate in. She was in a rehabilitation center for over four weeks, and the day after she got home, this past Saturday, she had a mild heart attack and is now in congestive heart failure. It has been very hard to stay focused, but the exercise is definitely helping me with my stress and tension. I have to go get my DD from school, but I will post again soon. I hope all of you are doing good!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #13  
ugggg.....

Michelle--That's so terrible with your Mom. Hope things get better soon.

Cristina--My allergies hit twice a year, in the fall when the leaves change until they are on the ground and in spring from the time the trees bud until the leaves are all on them. They are still my two favorite seasons though!! Boy, you have some set up for the stockings for the guys in Iraq. it's such a good thing. When I get Tony's address I'll pm you. I love all the new little smilies myself!!

Jane--Hope Mary can get some relief. Everyone laughs at me with OTC non-drowsy allergy meds--I can't keep my eyes open when I take it!! Another site in addition to Katie's google suggestion is www.ask.com

Sassy--you come and whine all you want--we will just toast each other!!

Katiecat--Hi to you!! Hope all is well and you are having more painless days than painful ones!!

Norma--you are very familiar with where I live--I love Harpers Ferry and I live in Hedgesville which is between Martinsburg and Berkeley Springs. My son lives in Martinsburg and my daughter goes to SHepherd University and lives in Shepherdstown though her roomate is in "love" and going to move in with her boyfriend leaving DD having to move since she can't afford the rent on her own and has decided she doesn't want another roomate. We are going to look at some one bedrooms and if she can't find anything, I think we have her talked into moving back home.

Sue--no rain here but there is a cold front coming through--I brought in all my plants from the deck tonight.

Well I'm off to watch Greys!! Have a great night!!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #14  
~Believe~

Morning all. Just a quickie here. Wasn't a good night for me at work, won't go into details, but lets just say I'm not a happy camper.

Anyways. Cristina -- so do you just want me to send you the stuff and the stockings and you put them together or do you want me to do it???? I saw in your pics that we got some of the same things -- I also got Carmex and Old Spice Body Wash.

Well sorry this is short, off to bed.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #15  
ugggg.....

Morning Sassy--my bad day was Tuesday--it was a bad day at work and then I went to the gym that night it was so packed I just had to turn around and go home. Hubby had a really bad day yesterday at work. He's seriously thinking about quitting. He usually can really turn off his emotions and detach himself and move on but there is alot happenning in his department and things aren't being resolved and he doesn't like the way he is feeling about it and his only way of detaching and moving on may be to quit. If he quits, I will probably start looking for something else to. There needs to be some changes in the current company we work for, Upper management is blind, middle management is so under stress most of us are having health issues from the responsibility of a reduced work force with more work added to the very departments that took cuts (both hubby & mine were cut with no job taken and some added) and then there are other departments that are overloaded with people but there are a lot of family, friend, church connections that keep some people safe and let them feel that they can get away with doing anything but their jobs. I am rambling and on a soap box that I will get off--It's my weekend and I refuse to even think about work, I am going to enjoy my weekend and not be depressed over my job.

Today I am going to be busy--have to go pick up the stickers for my trash pickup, go to the library and return books, the grocery store, the post office, drop some things by my son's. I also have to go to the salvage yard for a radiator for my dd's car that she wants fixed since she is going to have to move-her roomate decided that she is moving in with her new boyfriend who dd thinks is creepy especially when she woke up in the middle of the night to find him staring at her from the door to her bedroom. We have a go see to a one bedroom apartment that is near ds's apartment that will allow her little dog, the rent is the same as she is paying for half the current house which has a clause in the lease that allows them to break it on short notice since the landlord is used to renting to college kids. DD can't afford to pay the whole rent and she isn't sure she wants another roomate. The landlord is turning out to be as bad as the neighbors on both side said he was and the one side has nice neighbors while the others are not. DD is sad because they put so much work into the house and the colors they painted have made it look so nice and homey and she loves the house and space and layout. DH, dd and I have taken the yard from a jungle to a nice lawn. The roomate turned out to be a bigger slob than dd could handle anyway and is not helping with the upkeep of the housecleaning or yard and has yet to contribute for the groceries for the last 3 1/2 months though her and her boyfriend eat there. DD says she would be better off alone or back home (I am secretly hoping she comes back home-cause I still miss kids in the house)

Well there I went again--going to grab a shower and get going, I may be back tonight....
Closed Thread