Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default My surprise! The healthy Chinese food tastes better!

Isn't it amazing when you substitute a healthier option for a particular food and find that you like the healthier option better! In September, I was traveling and had to pick up Chinese food for some family late at night. I was actually planning on picking up some Wendy's chili on the way home because I didn't want to eat the unhealthy Chinese food that we'd ordered. Then, I happened to glance at the top of the menu, and saw a section on steamed entrees! I got an order of steamed shrimp with broccoli with stir-fry sauce on the side. I brought it home and had it with the steamed rice, and it tasted great!

It just makes me think about all those times that I ordered greasy, artery-clogging General Tso's chicken! I would have loved this healthy steamed shrimp just as much! They say the don't even eat that General Tso's stuff in China, and that meals there are much lighter and healthier than many battered/fried/heavily sauced American versions.

The steamed shrimp and broccoli with rice and a small amount of stir-fry sauce was delicious! Best of all, I felt great after eating it, too! This really makes you think about all the healthy delicious choices that are out there and how you don't have to be deprived when you make healthy choices.

Anyone else discovered this?
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #2  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Talking

Makes me wish I liked rice. LOL I hate that I don't like rice. I've tried and tried to eat it, but I guess it's the texture...just makes me gag.

I have a hard time with chinese food now. Well, basically I can't eat any of it. I don't like rice, I don't like most sauces. I'm so damn picky. I wish I weren't.

The only thing I've ever liked at Chinese places, is the Sweet & Sour Chicken, without the Sweet & Sour sauce...which, basically...just little chicken nuggets. LOL

Oooh, I do like fortune cookies though.

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't eat out at Chinese very much because well I only recently discovered a place here that I like. Also after you've eaten Chinese food in China, it isn't the same Actually they don't have General Tso's in China but they also don't have most things we consider Chinese. Although some of the things I was served in China would top our foods for unhealthiness such as battered and deep fried ribs, other various fried items and dishes that were dripping in oil.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the healthier options. I've also found that I enjoy healthier foods a lot more now than I ever did.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/250/160

Height: 5ft.5"

My daughter turned me on to the healthier version of chinese last year and much to my surprise I loved it too, I had the same thing and some spring rolls, it was good though the other stuff is great once in awhile it's nice knowing you can join in and order out and have a better choice without feeling left out.
shoots-alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #5  
LLV

I used to looooooooove getting the steamed stuff from Chinese places and still do once in a while, but I quickly got tired of it. I'm a Chinese food addict and as good as the steamed foods are, they just don't compare to the regular entrees. But then I don't eat Chinese as much as I used to so I don't worry about it. I usually get what I want and only eat a portion of it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I love chinese!! but I like the sauces and stuff that aren't too healthy. I just stay away so I don't make the bad choices. Although I have to say I love steamed rice!!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Also after you've eaten Chinese food in China, it isn't the same Actually they don't have General Tso's in China but they also don't have most things we consider Chinese.
Mexican is the same. I've always wondered how a food gets "Americanized". Why'd they fiddle with it when they first introduced it here? I feel like we're test subjects or something.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on discovering that healthy food tastes better! We've been conditioned for so long to think that healthy food must be bland and boring that most people don't even bother to keep an open mind and give it a try. It is certainly much easier to lose weight eating healthy food than unhealthy food.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

LOL Yup. I fixed a healthy dinner for my daughter and a friend of hers one day. My daughter commented that she didn't realize healthy food tasted so good and wanted to know how I made it. It was just simple stuff, grilled chicken and brown rice and veggies. I just used Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and Mrs. Dash grilling blends on the chicken and used low sodium bullion and parsley and Mrs. Dash table blend in the rice, and sauteed the veggies in a bit of olive oil. She's used to her chicken still having skin, being rolled in flour and some other unnecessary gunk and deep fried in a vat of fat, her rice being white with lots of salty stuff in it, and her veggies being cooked in a ton of butter...if she eats veggies at all. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #10  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

real chinese food isn't bad for you only when it gets westernized does it get bad...

italian food and mexican food are the same way...
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote