Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:24 AM   #1  

Default What do you consider a binge? Warning: Possible Food Trigger Alert!!

"Binge-free for 3 weeks."

"I am not going to binge anymore."

"I have a problem."

I have read these words in various forms throughout this forum, and I have one question. Exactly what is a typical binge like for you? How do you define a binge? I am just curious because I realize that over time, my personal definition of "binge" has changed.

For example, in 2001 I was battling an eating disorder. I would exercise 3-4 times a day and eat 800-1000 calories. I went from a size 10 to a size 4 in no time and was dead set on losing more. I would severely restrict my calories, and every two to three weeks I'd binge. At that time, a binge for me would last an entire day and would include fast food.
I remember once eating:
3 bowls of cereal
Toast
3 sandwiches
A Super Sized McDonald's meal
A McDonald's McShake thing
BAGS of candy
(I specifically remember the candy because I drove to SuperWalmart around 11pm and bought the cheapest candy I saw when I first walked in. Crap I would never eat! Candy peanuts, Boston Baked Beans, and that other 2/$1 crap. Blah.)

After a "binge" I would fast fast fast and exercise exercise exercise. Sometimes I would even purge. I was exhausted and finally got out of that **** hole with the help of friends and family.

Now, a binge for me lasts about 30 minutes. Also, you couldn't pay me to eat fast food. It is the lowest quality food and I refuse to put that into my body. Most fast food establishments serve Grade E meat - the lowest grade allowed by the FDA! I won't even have a Diet Coke or salad from a fast food place - I'm sure grease, fat, or calories would sneak in. My definition of binge has changed drastically.
My most recent binge consisted of:
Turkey and cheese sandwich
A pudding cup
A single serving size package of Chips Ahoy cookies
50 grapes
Blah

So I'm just curious, what do you consider a "binge?"

Last edited by WhitWhit; 10-09-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #2  

i'd say that the first one you described is definitely a binge.

the second one just sounds like an ordinary meal to me although it would take me longer than 30 minutes to eat all that (but hey i'm a slow eater)

congrats on moving past your ED - it takes a lot of work!!!

this question has been answered before check out http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91435
or maybe use the search button and search in the chicks in control forum for keywords...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

A binge for me was anytime that I ate to the point of sickness.....when I was physcially in pain because my stomach was so full and all I wanted to do was lay on the couch or bed and sleep and never get up. It wouldn't matter what I ate, it could have been anything from fast food to ice cream, chips....etc. didnt matter....as long as I was eating and not hungry and I was thouroughly disgusted, uncomfortable and bloated after - THAT was a binge for me.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_pea View Post
i'd say that the first one you described is definitely a binge.

the second one just sounds like an ordinary meal to me although it would take me longer than 30 minutes to eat all that (but hey i'm a slow eater)

congrats on moving past your ED - it takes a lot of work!!!

this question has been answered before check out http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91435
or maybe use the search button and search in the chicks in control forum for keywords...
Thanks for the link...I'll check it out. (I figured the question had been asked and answered...but wasn't sure how to find out. Thanks!)
Old 10-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, for me, it's eating to the point of feeling uncomfortably full. Or mindlessly eating tons of food when I don't feel hungry just because I want the taste, or whatever.

Like if I buy a bag of miniatures candy and eat the whole bag over the course of an evening? That's a binge.

Or sometimes I have spread-out binges where I graze all afternoon and then wham, I packed away 5000 calories.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

When I make no-bake cookies and eat 2 dozen of them in one evening, that is my "binge". I get actually sick at my stomach but still want more. I am fighting not doing this anymore.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #7  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Unhappy

Just wondering... should someone put a warning at the top of this thread, about the food content (possible trigger for some people)?

My last binge was an all day event, at the State Fair. I don't even want to think about how many calories was in it...but maybe I should. Maybe that would help me with remembering how miserable I was.

Let's see...
Puff Dog (Smoked Sausage wrapped in Puff Pastry) = 500
Chocolate Covered Strawberry = 150
Nachos = 600
Popcorn Chicken = 400
Corn Dog = 300
Caramel Apple = 300
Wonder Bar (Choc. covered ice cream w/ nuts) = 350

And that's all I remember eating... who knows show many samples of beef jerkey and chips I had that day.

So, that's at least 2,600 calories in about 4 hours time. And, I was miserable. I was so continuously stuffed the entire time, that I couldn't even enjoy myself.

And, that was in public! When I'm alone I do horrible things. I haven't had to spend a weekend alone yet, since I started this on the 18th. I'm really dreading the first time Keith goes out of town without me.

My typical Saturday at home, alone, involved at least 4 chicken sandwiches from Burger King (that alone adds up to 2,640 calories and 160g of fat) and usually most of the value menu from Taco Bell.

The funny thing is, I order as if I'm ordering for more than one person. I'll order 2 of the chicken sandwiches with no lettuce, 1 with no mayo, etc. It's rediculous. But, it shows how ashamed I am too. If I wasn't ashamed, I wouldn't give a hoot about what that 16 year old at the drive-thru thinks.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Tisha, I know what you mean about the food ordering. I used to go through the drive thru, buy a double quarter lber with cheese, lg. fries, large coke and supersize , you bet. An apple pie and then get a Happy meal for my non-existent child so they wouldn't think it was all for me. Then, hide the sacks while I ran thru Taco Bell to get a lg. beef burrito with sour cream to go with this and take it home , eat all of it and hide the sacks in the outside trash can so no one would know.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #9  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Yeah. I've even done it when I wasn't home alone. Not to the extreme degree, but I've gone through and gotten whatever for me and Keith, then went to a different drive thru and ordered a couple of tacos, a double cheeseberger, or a frito chilli pie or something. Eaten that on the way home and then tried to be as quite as I can, while putting the empty sacks and wrappers in the outside trash.

So embarassing.

The other really bad thing I get into when I'm home alone, is ordering delivery pizza. Small, thin crust, pork sausage, light on the sauce, family order of cheese breadsticks, and a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi. Twice in one weekend, once.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #10  
I wanna get back to this!

S/C/G: 182.4/169.6/145

Height: 5'8"

I have eaten a whole box of cereal and 2 pints of ice cream in a day, plus other small snacks like Pria bars and sandwiches - THAT is a binge.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
Tisha, I know what you mean about the food ordering. I used to go through the drive thru, buy a double quarter lber with cheese, lg. fries, large coke and supersize , you bet. An apple pie and then get a Happy meal for my non-existent child so they wouldn't think it was all for me. Then, hide the sacks while I ran thru Taco Bell to get a lg. beef burrito with sour cream to go with this and take it home , eat all of it and hide the sacks in the outside trash can so no one would know.
Ive done the same thing. Supersize meal from Mickey D's....then some taco's from taco bell and then maybe a blizzard from Dairy queen. Everything would have to be hidden when I went to the subsequent drive through out of embarrasment
Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #12  
I want a smaller wardrobe

S/C/G: 195.2/151/144

OMG--I am reading these posts and I feel the exact same way as you guys. I have done all of these these hitting drive-thru after drive-thru. I've also hit the candy at the gas station. King sized candy bars buy one get one free. That was dangerous. I had to pull over into a parking lot and eat all that chocolate and try not to get it on the leather seats of my car. Then I had to worry about throwing away the evidence. What's funny is that I will be doing so good on my diet. I'll think wow I'm finally getting control over my binges and I feel on top of the world and then I find myself eating junk because I'm stressed and the binge can last for days. It is such a depressing cycle.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #13  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
When I make no-bake cookies and eat 2 dozen of them in one evening, that is my "binge". I get actually sick at my stomach but still want more. I am fighting not doing this anymore.

*sigh* i have done all these things, from fast food to pizza.... but sweets are a big one for me, and i looooove no bake cookies.... I'd do the same thing with a lot of sweets, and eat till i was feeling sick.

heh... i went through a phase of getting those rolls of cookie dough (like chocolate chip cookie dough etc) and i never really made that many cookies
Old 10-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #14  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

To me, a binge is not WHAT I eat, but HOW I eat.
Am I eating to nourish my body because I am hungry? Or am I eating in a frantic manner and feeling "out of control"? Do I remember what I ate---that is usually a HUGE clue to me. Am I mindful of the food I eat or mindless?

Of course quantity does count! Eating a "family fun pack" of ANYTHING at one time, is not fun. Eating until I am physically uncomfortable is also a binge.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've bought a 1/2 gallon of ice cream and eaten it in one day , heck in a few hours, I just kept going back to the freezer. I've done that many times. I think a binge for me is ususally just eating A LOT of the same item. Usually something I've purchased with the intent of eating it all. With the actual INTENT of eating it all. I wonder what makes people do things like that?
Closed Thread