Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #1  

Arrow I'm not a quitter, but....

Hi all:

I'm new and have found the information and help on here to be wonderful.

I joined weight watchers the first week of January. Here it is October and I've only lost 23 lbs. I can't figure out why. I walk daily for exercise. Due to a handful of surgeries, my exercising abilities are limited...so walking is quite an accomplishment for me.

I admit that I cheat very little here or there, but nothing that puts me so far off track from my point allowance. I'm also 45 and have found it doesn't come off as easily as it did when I was younger, but you'd think the basic concept of eat less, weigh less would give me some results.

Any ideas on what could be sabotaging my progress? I had about 90 to lose. I've lost 23 and stalled out. It's so discouraging.
TxHunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's hard to tell without more information. Are you honestly tracking your calories (every single bite/lick/sip you put in your mouth every day?). I also found it wasn't just eating less, weigh less that worked for me. For me, it was "eat less bad foods, eat more good foods, move more) that really made a difference. I had the unusual experience of a weight stall when I wasn't eating ENOUGH. I actually had to increase calories (still below maintenance level for someone of my height/weight/age/gender/activity level) to jump start my weight loss again. I really found the quality of foods eaten (whole grains, lean protein, 5+ daily servings of fruits/vegetables) really made a difference.

Still, congratulations on your 23 lb loss, that is a victory right there!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

A loss of 23 lbs. is excellent and something to be proud of. Try not to get discouraged. We all lose at different rates. I, too am only able to walk due to multiple abdominal surgeries, but the walking does help a lot. I am 46 yrs. old and my wt. loss wasn't super fast either, but it did come off. Don't beat yourself up over small cheats once in a while, we all do this. Hugs.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #4  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I'm in my early 40's & can say with utmost certainty that the weight is MUCH SLOWER coming off than it was when I was "youthful & peppy." I have yo-yo'd since my mid-20's. 126, 138, 142, 158, 165, 178.... I've lost & gained at least 30 pounds 5 times in my adult life. It's discouraging, yes, but I continue to fight. And with my "More" age, I realize that I am much more "movement challenged" - I can't do certain exercises due to injuries & so forth, so I've had to "re-vamp" my entire weight loss strategy. I still haven't found that magic bullet yet. But giving up certainly won't find it either, right?

I understand your frustration. Talk to your doctor; you may be entering peri-menopause (I am) and that definitely COULD be hindering your weight loss efforts. There's no shame in asking for help - a pill, a nutritionist, a personal trainer - there's plenty to choose from, and hey - mix & match! I am starting physical therapy soon, because I cannot do my regular weight lifting routine, I need to learn new exercises that I CAN DO, that will help me to be more flexible & help me lose weight.

Good luck to you!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm 43 and have done this once before (40+ pound loss 10 years ago after the birth of my 2nd child). This time around it seemed a little harder. I have found a few things have helped me:
  • Cut back alcohol
  • Eliminate processed foods (and eat only whole foods--you'd be amazed at how great things taste!)
  • Track everything I eat (I did this for about 6 or 8 months, I've kind of gone off that "wagon" for the past few weeks) and count the calories, fat, carbs and protein.
What I seem to see a lot of here is an obsession with dessert. "How many points is this?" "Is this allowed on this diet?" Sometimes you have to give up these kinds of foods for a while so you can lose the weight. I have a hard time passing the bakery area in the grocery store without eyeing the delicious chocolate cakes and brownies. I gave in last spring and bought one, but I didn't let it get to me. I ate it over 2 days (it was a "single" serving of cake, but huge!). As soon as I was done with it, I got right back on track.
What I have learned is that this is a lifestyle change. I no longer see this as a diet. I will have to keep these principles for the rest of my life, otherwise I'll just end up gaining everything back. I'm 4 pounds from my goal and then I'll jump into maintaining the loss--which as I have heard is no easier than losing.
My suggestion to you is to write down all your foods for a week without really changing anything. Then look at the list. Is it full of processed food? Do you see a pattern with foods that aren't the healthiest? Choose one of these foods and eliminate it. It doesn't mean you have to give it up forever, but give it up for a month. See if it doesn't help things start moving in the right direction. Good luck, and don't quit! Come back often for support!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #6  

Ohmy you guys... thank you SO much for the great tips and encouragement. I'm so glad I found this place! I'll give your advice a try and we'll see how it goes.

By the way Allison... I LOVE the dogs.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #7  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Smile

23lbs since January... that's not nothing ya know? That's still 2.5lbs per month.

Congrats on that!

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I just wanted to say congrats on your loss You have done very well, keep it up!

I remember one of the few weight watchers meetings I went to they did on on licks, tastes, bites that no one counts and as she did it she put it in baggys, by the time she got thru her pretend day they were HUGE of all the stuff we put in our mouth and dont think... I know I am very guilty of that!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #9  

Default Update

Thanks Tisha....but ya know... 2.5 is what my expectation per WEEK was...not per month.

To all following the post...I got my bloodwork back. Can't blame it on the thyroid, darn it. Back to the drawing board. I'm going to try many of your suggestions. Writing down and logging every bite is a great start. Then I can show the doc - maybe he'll see something I don't.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha___ View Post
23lbs since January... that's not nothing ya know? That's still 2.5lbs per month.

Congrats on that!

Old 10-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

2.5 lbs per week would be a LOT! I usually shoot for a level lb. a week and if I don't get it, life goes on!!! Even at a lb a week that's 52 lbs in a year!! Any loss is better than a gain! You're doing a great job, just keep it up!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

I REALLY wish that Weight Loss was linear and predictable! If nothing else, you must take pride in losing the 23lbs! With WW, you should be eating a healthier and more balanced diet than you were before you started. One thing you might consider is taking more of your points (assuming you are on the Flex Point Plan!) as protein, and reducing the amount of carbohydrate points you are eating. Also, making sure that the carbs you DO eat are whole grain would be helpful. Increase the water you are drinking (try 10 glasses) and be really, really strict. Track and write down EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING. In short, more fish, chicken, and beans (beans/lentils/pulses are a great source of protein and carbohydrate and FIBER). Less pasta, white rice and white bread. More apples, oranges, and pineapple. Fewer bananas. Write everything down. 2 glasses of water with breakfast (don't forget the multivitamin!), 2 glasses with lunch, 2 with dinner, and 2 in the evening. As for exercise, walking is great, but remember that weight loss is often more about the food in than the exercise. BUT, see if you can try Aquafit at your local YMCA - water workouts are less stressful on the joints. Try this for 28 days, and see what happens - hey, it just might bump you into the loss column! Let us know!!!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #12  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHunni View Post
Thanks Tisha....but ya know... 2.5 is what my expectation per WEEK was...not per month.
are you on WW points or core? I have tried both, and the key to succeeding on either is writing down anything and everything that costs you points. As far as the weight loss goes, I found I did a lot better on Points than i did on Core, and on Points I lost about 2 pounds a week, and on Core I lost about 1 pound a week on avg. I also, I am 22, so I will lose weight faster than someone who is even 10 years older than me. Also, I am fairly certain that the WW people stress that a healthy and sustainable amount to lose is about 1-2 lbs a week, because if you lose more than that it is scientifically proven you are less likely to keep it off. 23 pounds is a great achievement keep up the good work! It's not easy losing it, and if you feel really stalled and aren't sure what isn't going right try talking to your WW meeting leader, or check out the WW forums, or the WW section of these forums
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote