Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 167.4/159.8/140

Height: 5'3

Unhappy Mood Changes on Diet?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice. I started Weight watchers almost 3 weeks ago, and so far so good. However I am having a reaction I am not used to. I have been really depressed for the past week. I have slight depression, that I was always able to maintain. However this week has been BAD!

Does it relate at all to the new diet and eating differently?

Thanks, T
Time2sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

I was very depressed the first 3 or 4 weeks of my lifestyle change. It gets better. I was feeling like I had lost my best friend and no one cared. I still have my moments but it is much better now. Just stick with it you will be more depressed if you quit.
Also at one point I was very depressed. My husband suggested a night out where there was no calorie counting. I ate a good meal, drank a few beers and felt so much better. At my next weigh in I did not lose any weight, but it was so worth it. I was so proud of myself because the very next morning I got up and got right back on track.
Terrie
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #3  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I have struggled with depression for years. When dieting it was really awful. My dh told me he'd rather have me fat than that moody. I've learned two things that really, really help. 1. My blood sugars are a mess when I'm not on my current eating plan (I've learned I'm diabetic.). So sticking with a healthy plan, eating 5 times a day (3 small meals and two 100 calorie snacks) to keep my blood glucose levels seriously helps my mood, partly because I no longer get the headaches when dieting that I used to. 2. It's not just talk; exercise does help the mood, in part by putting endorphins into the system. You don't have to be a long distance runner hurting yourself on a marathon to get this benefit. About 10 minutes into a walk on the treadmill I notice my arthritic feet aren't as achy, etc.

You will also notice an improvement as the pounds drop off, easing stress on your bodiy's systems.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I have had big mood swings since I started my new eating habits. I started to do better when I started religiously taking my vitamins. I take a regular multivitamin plus a B50 complex, sometimes I take two of the B complex. I am more energized and my mood swings aren't nearly as bad. I don't know a whole lot about supplements, but I know my doctor recommended the B50 before (to help with horrible migranes) but then I was taking 4 -5 a day and they made me sick to my stomach. Now I take two when I am feeling extra moody.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #5  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

CoQ10 completely eliminated my really horrible migraines (and my sister's). I now take 100 mg every day. I've only had one m since I started taking them and that was when I forgot it two days in a row.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #6  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

I would imagine that any lifestyle change could have an effect on mood, but most especially when you change eating habits. Think about it: you're rearranging your whole life and making a lot of changes all at once. Sometimes that's really emotional - letting go of old and familiar in favor of making new, unfamiliar changes. From personal experience, I tend to freak out when too many things change at once; I have been making my lifestyle changes very gradually.

They say it takes 21 days of consistency to make a habit... and once you make something a habit, it gets a lot easier... so be patient with yourself and hang in there. Remember, we're only human!

p.s. The food you're eating may have something to do with your mood, as well... I heard recently on the Today Show that certain fishes (I think salmon was mentioned as one of them) actually have a natural antidepressant in them - which I thought was pretty cool.
RowdyBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 167.4/159.8/140

Height: 5'3

Thanks everyone,

I am not currently taking a multivitamin, I will pick up one tonight. That could be a cause as well. I have been on this diet for about 19 days now. So hopefully it evens out. I also am going to go to a "Doctor" as well and see if I can get to the root of the depression as well. However I am not going to give up dieting, this is part of my lifestyle change and I want to do this!
Time2sing is offline   Reply With Quote