Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #1  

Default How often do you take measurements?

I have no idea where to post this, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place

That said, how often is too often when it comes to taking circumference measurements? I was planning on doing it every other week, but I see a lot of stuff advising once a month. I actually saw such a change in inches just in the first two weeks since I've changed my eating and exercise habits, that I was considering measuring once a week at my official weigh-in.

I know it might seem like a really subjective question, but all in all, how often do you think is reasonable for the average person to take measurements?

Thanks!
Katiebobatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

After the first month I started taking measurements with each weigh-in, once a week. I do it because it keeps me going when I haven't lost anything. Sometimes I show a loss of up to an inch in certain areas, others I gain. But I log eveything down so I can see the change! even if I have a gain I am still much smaller than when I started. It is probably better to measure every 2 weeks or a month, but whatever works for you is truly the best. If you find yourself getting frustrated with your measurements every two weeks, then wait a month.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I just take mine once a month. I don't see much change from week to week, so it's easier to see my progress if I take them once a month. But as far as what's reasonable, I think it's like weighing yourself or any other progress measurement: do what you are comfortable with. I might only take my measurements once a month, but I weight myself twice a day despite the fact that most collective wisdom says not to. I like knowing where I'm at on the scale, whether I've made progress or not.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I used a tape measure on a bi-monthly basis.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:51 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

when I remember.... once a month? once every few months?
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #6  
I restore Teeth.

i never do unless I notice a serious change in the way my clothes fit.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #7  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

I never take measurements, I can normally tell with a way the clothes I have fit. For example at one stage size 14 trousers would not fit, now they hang off me. Same with my legs, I still think they are fat, but they measure 22" now, whereas they used to me 26"
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #8  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I do when I need a pick me up, when I feel like I need to see the progress. I don't use a tape measure. I find my numbers discouraging. I use ribbons, cut to my starting measurements. Then nothing detracts from simply seeing the progress I've made.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I have my measurements taken once a week. There is always a measurable decrease in at least a couple of areas, even taking them that frequently. I don't use the scale to gauge my progress, so I feel it's important to take them often.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

I do it only when I need a pick me up, too. Also, be as precise as possible on where you measure from so it's the same every time. Like, "three inches above left elbow" instead of "arm".
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/191/150

I am a once a week measurer myself, we all weigh & measure on thursday's. Up this week but that is ok, it TOM so I just let it go!
Nicklewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #12  

I used to do it once a week but I found it to be a little maddening. At the time I didn't understand how people could wait a month but now I do. It's much better for me to weigh and measure once per month.
CheeseBurger&Thighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #13  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

I do every 3 weeks. I made a blank calendar template that allows me to write down what I eat every day for 3 weeks(it's what fit best on one piece of paper). I put down the dates and starting weight and at the end I put ending weight.

Then I go to a separate sheet I made for measurements and do those. Sometimes I slack. Usually if I go longer than 3 weeks on measuring it's out of pure laziness.

I do this for both my husband and myself, and it's working out quite well.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I have never measured myself. I just try on smaller clothes and see how they fit. I figure keeping track on the scale is enough reality for me.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #15  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I've never measured either, but lately looking back I wish I had measured just once on the day I started WW. I'd like to look back at it now!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote