Old 09-28-2006, 02:53 AM   #1  
Princess Pudge

S/C/G: 100kg/100kg/65kg

Height: 5'6"

Default fear of developing type 2 diabetes ..

i have begun to really fear developing type 2 diabetes. i am 31 and 100kg (220lbs). my mother is type 2 altho she didnt find out til her late 40's and my grandfather was a diabetic .. i'm not sure if he was insulin dependant tho.

anywho, i'm not sure where to start in changing my diet to a more diabetic friendly one. i eat way too much crap (i wouldnt be here otherwise right), but then, i also tend to have good days. i've tried WW and it kind of works, but lately, i just seem to be putting weight on. i'm fearful of whats going to happen if i dont get my weight and my mindset under control.

i'm rambling i know .. but i was hoping if someone out there would be able to help me?

i'm in australia too, so i dont really understand lbs and ounces but i'm sure i can learn
spanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #2  

I'm with you on being afraid of developing diabetes. I went for a Fasting Glucose test yesterday and am waiting for the results. This is going to be long week!

Whatever the results, it's time for me to get the sugar out of my system. I need to eat better so that I can live a long and healthy life. Think about your future and how you'd like to have more energy. Isn't it funny that we know what we should be doing yet fight that so hard?

I'm having fun coming up with new snacks and meals. Salads with a bit of pear and some really good cheese on top is my new best friend. Or some nice lettuce leafs with a bit of lunch meat, cheese (again) and a splash of Olive Oil & Vinegar for a fancy Lettuce Wrap - just like I paid the big bucks for at a restaurant recently.

You can do this!
Kathrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Just prior to starting on my weight loss journey, I had blood glucose levels of 500-600 and was taking Micronase. The doctors quickly noticed that as I started to drop weight, my blood sugars became normal. My insulin levels were high and I was put on Glucophage. I had problems with my blood sugar "bottoming out" after eating, would become sweaty, heart pounding and at times even pass out. None of this happens now that I have lost the weight. It is a scary thing. Losing weight was the one thing that I could do for myself to keep from going on Insulin Injections. It's the best thing I ever did.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #4  
Princess Pudge

S/C/G: 100kg/100kg/65kg

Height: 5'6"

thanks for your replies ladies, it definately is good to get some support and reassurance. i agree kathrynn, it's so hard to do what is best .. but this is why i'm here, and why i'm hoping to start turning the family diet around .. there is another challenge!
spanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #5  

SPANKS, I hear ya. I was insulin resistant for years, and diagnosed with metabolic syndrome as well. I struggled to lose any weight...a symptom of metabolic syndrome. I kept it under control by following Sugarbusters, which emphasizes whole grains, and limits certain high glycemic foods. I went through a few months of extreme stress where my control faltered, and that seems to be when I crossed over from insulin resistant to full blown diabetic. What I have learned since my diagnosis is that one thing is the most important thing to keep up to avoid becoming a diabetic...its the one thing I neglected to be regular about, and that is exercise. Thirty to sixty minutes of exercise a day will help heal insulin resistance, and keep the diabetes at bay. I find it more effective to control my blood sugar than diet, or medicines. A nice 30 minute walk will lower my blood sugar 50 or even 60 points!

So, my advice to you, if you want to avoid becoming diabetic, is to eat low glycemic (avoid sugars, white flour, white potatoes, white rice, beets, bananas, pineapple and corn) and get regular exercise.

I wish you the best. I wish I could go back a year or two and change...but you have the chance so don't let it get away!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #6  
Mel

Fear of diabetes was what prompted me to lose the weight. I'd had gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy and was told that if I didn't change my lifestyle (and maybe even if I did), I was looking at Type 2 in 10-15 years. At the 10 year mark, I panicked.

I lost weight doing exactly what Monet suggested, and that's how I've kept it off for 5 years now. I eat a very low glycemic diet, lean proteins, lots of vegetables, and healthy whole grain, low glycemic carbohydrates. The diet I initially followed was SugarBusters...but there are a lot of diets out there based on the glycemic index.

Get rid of the processed white foods with added sugar and starch, the fried, and all the empty calories. Your body will thank you.

I also exercise ALOT. I did when I was losing, and that's the only way for me to maintain. I do cardio at least 5 days a week and lift weights 4 days. That is probably more than you need, but I found I really love the weightlifting and it gave me the body I wanted, not just the number on a scale!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote