Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-30-2006, 02:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Height: 5'2"

Default What dress size should I give?

My buddy's getting married and I'm a bridesmaid. The wedding's Dec. 30th, which is exactly 3 months from now. I want to lose around 30 lbs by then, more or less...which isn't exactly unreasonable because I know I'm retaining a good 6 or 8 lbs of water right now (I know...I'm bad. stupid sodium.). I know my body and I'm pretty sure I can lose the weight.

Right now I'm a 10 or 12. 30 lbs loss should put me at an 8, maybe even a 6 (I'm one of the lucky ones, my stomach is one of the first places to lose fat.) I have to tell my friend a dress size by next week, so what should I tell her? I don't want to go too big, but I really don't want the dress to be too small!!!

Which size should I give her?
AmberKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:38 AM   #2  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Hmm..sticky question....Is there no way you can have it altered later on down the line?

I would say go with a size 10 for now, because it would be easier to take in a dress if you lose weight than it is to gain it. If you're absolutely confident that you can lose enough for a size 8, and that you will be committed to doing that, then say size 8. Hope this helps! Either way, you'll be looking good for x-mas!
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 AM   #3  

Yes, alterations will happen. But I won't be able to fly down until 4 days before the wedding, and even then I'll be really busy planning the bachelorette party (yay!) and helping to put the final touches on the wedding. I want the dress to be altered as little as possible.

hm...I want to say 8. But that makes me nervous. Actually, I think I was a size 8 at 150 lbs, so if I do lose the 30-odd I'll still have to get it taken it in. hum hum hum....I wonder if I'm being overly optomistic here?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #4  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

well at 154 im a 16, so my god u r lucky!
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Wow a 10 at 172 and 5"1'!!! Thats great!!! I am 5'3", 149 and still need atleast a 12 in a dress...................its the boobs!!! I'd say go with what you are sure of and take it in if necessary. Its more fun to have to say you need to take it in than to pray it fits!!!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #6  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

Yes, definitely OVERestimate the size. It's a heck of a lot easier to get it taken in than to exchange it at a late date for a larger dress! And also remember that many times, formal dresses are sized far differently from "regular" wear. Is there perhaps a bridal shop in your area which sells the same design? You can go there and get measured, and they can tell you exactly which size you need now, and you can choose from that which one you'll need. Good luck!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 262/259.2/160

Height: 5'6

Cool

I just went through the same thing with my best friends wedding that is on October 7th. I got my measurements taken and called them in...I wear an 18 now (a 20 that was too big at that time) and wanted to order an 18 but the lady said it would be best to order an 18W for the 2 more inches that I needed in the waist. Of course the dress regularly would have cost me 140.00 it ended up costing me 200.00 cuz of it.
I knew that I was losing a good amount of weight and could lose enough by the wedding but I really didn't want to take the chance of not losing and not having a dress that fit.
I got the dress when I went back home and tried it on and it looked like someone draped a curtain around me it was horribly big. I had since ordering it managed to shed about 20lbs or so.
I took it to the seamstress and she said that I should have ordered a 16! I had to take a bunch in all over but luckily she only charged me 25.00 to do it. She would have like to take the skirt in at the bottom as well but there wasn't a seam...anyways it looks waay better now than before.
Be very realistic if your going to order smaller...maybe a size only...you can always have it altered! It's really amazing what a seamstress can do in a short amount of time!!
kl_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations on the weight you've lost so far, and on committing to your goal!

Just one note of concern: Bridesmaid dresses (at least here in St. Louis) tend to run very small. Last wedding I was in I wore an 18 in regular clothes, but a 24 in that god-awful dress.....
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by l00py View Post
well at 154 im a 16, so my god u r lucky!
In the US you are a 12-14!!!! Move over the pond and drop two dress sizes!!! Better than when I moved from Australia to England and I gained a size overnight!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Amber,

Why don't you tell your bride-to-be friend what you've told us?
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You should also remember that formal gowns are a little tighter. My wedding dress is a size 22 but i am a size 20. It would be better for it to be a little big than too tight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:35 AM   #12  

I got sized at David's Bridal, which is where she's buying the dresses.

Yeah, I've noticed that I'm small for my weight. I wear a medium in most shirts too...I've got really muscular legs. Verrrry large thighs. I think that might have something to do with it...? Maybe. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them how much I weigh. In fact, the bride-to-be said she wasn't even going to ask for my measurements, and she was going to order me a size 6! (and she's not the type to flatter...) my response was, "You're kidding. I'm a looot bigger than that."

Hmmmm...I think I'm going to go ahead and tell her to get me a 10. I do not want to get there and pop the seams of a dress that's too small! It'll shock her size 2 butt. I think a 10 is going to seem unimaginable to her, she's tiny.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:47 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree View Post
In the US you are a 12-14!!!! Move over the pond and drop two dress sizes!!! Better than when I moved from Australia to England and I gained a size overnight!
Well to be honest I can squeeze into a UK 14 it is just not very comfortable thats all. With most of my clothes I have I am having to wear them on my hips so that they dont fall down!
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:07 AM   #14  
Spurs Chick

S/C/G: 214/206/140

Height: 5' 5"

I was wondering what the difference in sizes for women are from the UK to the US... I am going to America in December, am a size 18 here in the UK (hope to drop a size by then...) - so would that make me a 14 in the states? With the £ so good against the $, it would be rude not to shop!

And Amber, congrats on the weight loss - I would say a 10, I have found from experience if I put that kind of pressure on myself, it doesn't always go the way I want it to. Alterations from a 10 to an 8 will be possible, and think how good you will feel as the dressmaker has to nip in the inches!
FionaMSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

A dress is easy to take in, but almost impossible to let out. Each dress fits differently. AND, the best laid plans may not come to be. Go with something SNUG but acceptable now, and relax!
Congrats on your weight loss!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote