Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:21 AM   #1  

Default Greek yogurt uses

Yesterday after starting scones for the kids I realized I didn't have any sour cream. I used my greek yogurt and it worked really well, better than yucky fat free sour cream, which I have given up on. Now I think I'll try it in some muffins, hmmm.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 176.9/161/135

Height: 5'3"

Talking Yogurt Yum!

I am so not a fan of low fat / no fat creams and cheeses. Yogurt in its lofat form is better than others because it has not added gunk to keep it thick! It's just yogurt made with lofat milk.
If you can get over the tang, you can enjoy a really nice sub for Sour Cream, Mayo in things like dips, stews and toppings as well as fat replacement in baking.
Would you be willing to share your recipe?
Thanks!
Bitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I love this yogurt by Fage -- it is so good and creamy (even the non-fat version). It isn't like the american kind -- it doens't have all of this sugar and not over processed. Its ALL NATURAL

http://tinyurl.com/o8e27
Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Fage is definitely my favorite too. I started with the 2%, but I actually love the 0% too.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

We don't get Fage locally, though one of the specialty groceries in Anchorage may have it - have to look next time I get there. But I usually buy either Mountain High or Nancy's plain or vanilla yogurt, and they are not nearly as tangy. I get Mountain High original style (whole milk) for DH and often stir a little bit into my lf/ff cottage cheese. Really jazzes up the flavor.

I don't like ff sour cream either, though the lf is fine and and has the same texture as real (I use Tillamook).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #6  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

I tried Nancy's for the first time recently and you're right, WaterRat, it's not as tangy as others. I love Fage but it's too expensive to eat on a regular basis, considering I eat yogurt 5-6 times a week. I'm currently eating Stonyfield Plain. At first the runnier texture was a turn-off but now I find I like it. Fage does have the best texture, though, IMHO.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 AM   #7  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Yogurt is a great replacement for mayo! I either supplement it by half or replace it all together. Chicken salad, yum!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #8  

"I'm currently eating Stonyfield Plain. At first the runnier texture was a turn-off but now I find I like it. Fage does have the best texture, though, IMHO."

Breakingfree:

Throw the Stonyfield in a strainer lined with cheesecloth and give it a good stir, then let it sit overnight or longer (you can cover with plastic wrap). It's not quite Fage, but it comes pretty close and satisfies the craving.
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #9  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Thanks, luvmypup!

I will try that. Yum...........
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote