Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 AM   #1  

Default Greek yogurt

I got completely hooked on Greek yogurt when I was on vacation but now that I'm back home, I can't find it anywhere. Has anyone tried the straining regular yogurt through cheesecloth method? Does it come close to the real thing?
Veerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #2  

Height: 5`2

Yum. I LOVE home made yougurt!
I cant wait to hear how this is made!
Snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #3  

It's not really homemade, it's kind of cheating. I think the method calls for draining plain yogurt in cheesecloth for a few hours so you're left with thick yogurt (like the Greek yogurt). I did see a real recipe somewhere, but it seemed too complicated for me.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

There had been a problem with the customs paperwork for awhile...at least that's what the Trader Joe's manager told me awhile back.

Do you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market near you? I've seen it in both places in the last month.

If not, you may be able to ask your local grocer manager if he will special order it for you.

Good luck
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #5  

Thanks, Sarah. I am in rural NH and there aren't any TJs or WFs here. I've asked the grocer, but I have to convince him that I won't be the only person buying it. I think I'll try straining some Stonyfield and see if it's a worthwhile substitute.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #6  

Height: 5`2

May be you could google you question or go to ask.com
It may take a hour but I am sure you will get your answer.
Snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, veerie, where do you live? I grew up in MA, and lived in N. Conway NH for a number of years. Of course, I'm in the real "north country" now.

I've never had Greek yogurt, but I have strained regular yogurt and gotten the thick stuff. If you use good yogurt to start with, it's fantastic strained! I just line a strainer with a coffee filter and dump in the yogurt. I keep it in the fridge, and it's ready after several hours, though truthfully, I usually leave it overnight.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

A lot of greek yogurt I see in the store calls itself "strained yogurt". I have used a cheesecloth to strain it. Since I use nonfat yogurt, it doesn't taste exactly like the yogurt you find in greece but it tastes pretty close. If you do full fat yogurt, it probably would taste like real greek yogurt although I think they may use goat milk.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

The Fage 0% is a great nonfat, plain Greek yogurt. It's how I got hooked on Greek yogurt, which is bad because they don't sell it in my town. I have to drive an hour to get it or coerce my sister to buy it for me where she lives.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sheila, have you ever tried the cheese cloth method? any plain nonfat yogurt strained through a cheesecloth tastes like the fage 0%.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I've been thinking about doing that because I can't get the Fage. Just been too lazy, I think. Maybe I'll try it this weekend since I just bought some yogurt.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #12  
I restore Teeth.

take 1 cup PLAIN yogurt (not flavored), put it in 1 gallon of warmed milk (110-120 deg) and then let it sit covered, in some place that doesn't lose heat easily. Let it return to room temp for about 6-8 hours. Drain the fluid after the yogurt has thickened. It should come out alright, but using muslin or cheesecloth is better- I don't have cheesecloth to strain the plain yogurt, so this is what I do.m
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Veggielover - I use coffee filters quite successfully! And wow, does this make a gallon or so of yogurt? A little much for my 2 person household.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:07 AM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Veggielover - I use coffee filters quite successfully! And wow, does this make a gallon or so of yogurt? A little much for my 2 person household.
NOPE- after you drain the liquid, it will reduce to about 1/3 of the original volume!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote