Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/230/200

Post Hoodia the miracle appetite suppressant ?

I heard that Hoodia is a great appetite suppressant . The thing that scares me is that after one stops taking it , or ? any other appetite suppressant does one gain the weight back?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #2  
it's always something

The hoodia that you purchase is not real hoodia, so please save your money The genuine thing will be marketed by PhytoPharm and Unilever (the makers of SlimFast) either later this year or early next year. Until then, all you get are fake products.

Most people don't overeat because they are hungry. They overeat because of stress, habit, boredom, etc. Appetite suppressants are not going to do much good in those cases. If you do feel that you need an appetite suppressant, ask your doctor for advice. She can prescribe something and monitor you during usage in case you have any problems with it.

Whether you take a prescription product or something else, if you stop taking it, then you may have problems maintaining your weight loss. It might be better to do it the old fashioned way, through a healthy diet and exercise program. We have a lot of great diet forums here with members on just about every diet imaginable. Please feel free to look around and see if anything sounds good to you

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/230/200

Thanks Suzanne 3FC !
Old 09-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/220/150

Height: 5'6

i bought hoodia Gordinii 2mnths ago and it sure did suppress my appetite.
i actualy lost 10lbs that week.
it also comes with a guarantee authenticy certificate in the box, i bought it from cvs
Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/186/140

Height: 5'6

So the actual true real hoodia that is supposed to be coming out later (as you mentioned, Suzanne 3FC)... is it supposed to work?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:33 PM   #6  
it's always something

Whether or not it will work is yet to be determined, but there's some promise for it. It's important to keep in mind that it doesn't actually do anything to promote weight loss, it's just supposed to help you not get hungry. If you overeat for any other reason than hunger (stress, boredom, undying love of cheesecake , then it's not going to help. This effect has only been shown with fresh hoodia gordonii plants, and a large piece is required for the effect.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #7  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYPHAT4ME View Post
it also comes with a guarantee authenticy certificate in the box, i bought it from cvs
There is no one issuing certificates of authenticity for hoodia products. It's something the manufacturer designed for the package to help sell products. Marketing is a crazy and slick industry

Hoodia gordonii is very rare and is protected by national conservation laws in South Africa and Namibia. Also, even if a product DOES contain illegally harvested hoodia, that doesn't mean anything. P57 is the appetite suppressant found in hoodia and it's patented by Phytopharm and you aren't going to get it without buying the product from them. Only they aren't selling it yet.

It is said that there is much more hoodia for sale than actually exists on the planet. If it isn't hoodia, what is it?

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as drying and grinding up hoodia plants. They tried, and it didn't work.

The current "hoodia" products that you can buy right now contain a lot of other things, sometimes including diuretics, laxatives, and stimulants. Many contain fibers that swell up when you take them with water, making you feel fuller, so you think it's working. The same fiber products can be purchased for a small fraction of what the 'hoodia' products sell for.

Btw, they are still conducting clinical safety trials on the genuine product, so it won't be for sale until they can show that it's safe and they complete all 5 stages of research. They are only in stage 2 right now. I hope it goes well, and I hope Unilever and Phytopharm get their product on the market soon. Until then, we're still going to see bogus products on the shelves.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:35 AM   #8  
McPheever! Yey!

Height: 5'4"

I actually trued an appetite supressant pill and it stopped all my cravings. I eat food mostly because I'm bored at home. or because I watch Food Network all the time. When I took the pill, even if I imagine food or even if I see food, I wasn't tempted. I stopped taking the pill after 3 days because not having an appetite is abnormal. At least for me.

And about Hoodia. A lot of my colleagues tried this and they said that it work. I'm not sure if it's just placebo or whatnot.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #9  

I was watching the health report on our Philly NBC10 station and they had a doctor in the area who was in a study and reports his patients on the dex-l10 lost weight. Then again he was probably paid to participate in the study. So hard to find an unbiased opinion when it comes to studies. The people interviewed said it worked for them. I am still on the fence.
Kathy
Old 03-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 100kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 170cm

I was walking along the other day, and saw posters in the health-food shop window advertising Hoodia - thanks to 3FC I didn't even bother to stop and look!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #11  

I also heard lot of success stories about hoodia Now it does not mean that it would work for me, or for anyone else, but usually if you hear that one has a high success rate, it is considered a good sign I think . I just hope they come out with something certified soon , because it sounds like an easy way to losing weight .

I guess I just dont understand why does it take so long for them to come up with a solution . They have been talking about it for 3-4 years now, you would think it is their best interest also to come up with a product that is able to go on the market asap . Hoodia plants provide a very natural way for losing weight I dont think it needs to be over complicated, as long as it is natural I think people will love it even more .

Last edited by nelie; 08-15-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #12  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamL View Post
I guess I just dont understand why does it take so long for them to come up with a solution . They have been talking about it for 3-4 years now, you would think it is their best interest also to come up with a product that is able to go on the market asap . Hoodia plants provide a very natural way for losing weight I dont think it needs to be over complicated, as long as it is natural I think people will love it even more .
There are no success stories, just testimonials written by ad reps.

The problem is that it doesn't work unless you have access to a large, fresh chunk to munch on. The dried and powdered stuff in the capsules doesn't contain the active ingredient that makes hoodia work. Pfizer invested millions in trying to come up with a viable product to market, and ended up backing out entirely because it didn't work. The difference between them and the other companies that are marketing "hoodia" is that Pfizer refused to sell something that they couldn't stake their reputation on.

Now unilever is working on it, using a different strategy. After extensive research and trials, they believe they have a product that works. It's still in the testing stages. It's also imperative that they make sure it's safe when used as we want to use it. Sure, Africans have been using it for centuries. However, they only used it occasionally, and not as a weight loss aid. Plus it's not like anyone has been monitoring their health. Now Unilever and Phytopharm are taking the necessary step to make sure that it works and is safe.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm also not sure that it would be considered an easy way to lose weight, it really depends on the reasons behind someones weight. I would say that very few people are overweight due to physical hunger. Appetite suppressants can sometimes help people lose weight but we often overeat for other reasons than hunger.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYPHAT4ME View Post

I'm sorry - but how is losing 10 lbs in one week healthy ?? A certificate of authenticity means absolutely nothing these days. How is the average person going to PROVE it is not authentic ? They know this won't happen so they print up these guarantees and it flies off the shelf to people who believe there is a quick fix out there.
Please check out the following link
Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #15  
it's always something

Witchy, I hope you don't mind, but I removed the link. That site is also a scam, trying to convince buyers that everyone else is selling fake products except for the ones they personally recommend. However, those are also fake.
Closed Thread