Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2000, 08:29 PM   #1  
Low Carb since 4/28/99

ETHIOPIAN SPICY BRAISED CHICKEN

In Ethiopia, this dish is called "Doro Wat". It is quite simple to make. The meat does not have to be seared or browned first so your standing-in-front-of-the-stove time is greatly reduced.

1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup paprika
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper (less if you're a weenie)
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon cooking oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 chicken, cut up

Mix first ten ingredients in medium-sized bowl. Set aside. Fry the onions in the oil. Sprinkle with turmeric. Add onions to tomato sauce mixture. Place chicken pieces in large, heavy pot. Spoon all of the sauce over the chicken. Bring mixture to boil. Immediately reduce heat and cover. Stew for 45 minutes. Remove lid from pan, and allow chicken to cook for 15 more minutes.

Old 05-18-2000, 09:58 PM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Vanessa, sounds good! Do you think it would work just as well with boneless skinless chicken breast?

I like the weenie comment! I am one, but hubby likes things so spicey they make him sweat.

Debbie
Old 05-19-2000, 08:47 PM   #3  

Sounds Delicious! Think I'll need to invest in cardamon and tumeric - the rest I should have.

Debra
Old 05-30-2000, 04:09 AM   #4  

I just made this recipe today, and it was delicious! We were semi-weenies in that we used only one teaspoon of cayennne. Also, I could only find caramon seeds - seemed to work OK with the seeds rather than the ground spice.

This dish makes a great sauce, which we spooned over steamed green beans. As this was my DH's reward meal for the day, I also made some couscous to go with it.

Yum, thanks for posting it, ThatGirl.
Old 05-31-2000, 03:20 AM   #5  
Low Carb since 4/28/99

Debbie the breasts were a little tough for my taste....the second time I made it I used just legs and thighs. (and I doubled the recipe) My family just loves this and they are BEGGING me to make it again and again.

Debra I make quite alot of Indian food here as well as all kinds of "fun foods" (that's what my kids call it...LOL) so I use alot of both of those spices. I will try to be a better chick and post more recipes...especially some using those spices so it will be worth while buying them

Tally I'm SO glad you liked it! We double the cayenne pepper here My family (even my daughters 8 and 12) have real pepper bellies...LOL I have a recipe for the bread that goes with the dish but I didn't want to post it here and cause someone to fall off the LC Wagon If anyone wants it let me know and I will post it somewhere

ThatGirl

Old 10-21-2000, 07:06 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Tried this in my crockpot with skinless chicken pieces. Wonderful. Cooks in 8 hours and no need to use the oil to brown the onions. Served with a barley pilaf and spinach.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:11 PM   #7  

I made this with beef, and it was wonderful- seared a bottom round roast like for pot roast, added sliced onion, and then the spices and tomato sauce, simmered for a long time covered in the oven ..it was so great!

Next time I will use cubed beef

d.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:20 PM   #8  
workin' my way back down

Oh my!!! Just made this today.... I used Ruthie's suggestion and put it in the crockpot before I left for work ..... WOWOWOWOW! I used chicken leg quarters and put the crockpot on high for the first 2 hrs, and then lowered it for another 5ish hours (til I got home!) Simply WONDERFUL... only small thing: I couldn't find ground cardamom (only the seeds, and the jar was $10.49 -- too expensive for my wallet yesterday ) so I made it without.... still yummy! And no, I was not a weenie - in fact, I spilled some cayenne, so there was probably 3-3/12 tsps in there!
Old 09-18-2002, 09:58 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Glad you liked it! It's sure an easy and tasty dish and a favourite around here. I'll try it with beef later in the fall.
Closed Thread