South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 AM   #1  
chela

S/C/G: 217/209/130

Height: 5'0"

Angry would like to be bad for one meal

hello everyone i been on sbd for a month been adjusting well but there are days that i want to throw the towel. what i mean is that sometimes i would like a variety of foods beside the ones that are listed in the book. anyone feel this way i know that we are changing our eating habits for life but sometimes a want to be bad for just one meal I'm i over reacting about the whole situation you guys tell me.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:09 AM   #2  
RMT
1x on Lips 4ever on hips

S/C/G: 130/125/115

Height: 5'5"

Red face Me too

I feel the same way some days!!!!! Mainly when I see my dh and dd eating something that I can't have - not all the time but on days that are really stressful or just not a good day at all (you know what I am talking about).

But - then I think about the goal that I have and how crapy I will feel after I eat that big bowl of ice-cream, the fired mushrooms with horseradish sauce (have no idea what all is in it, but my favorite place to order out makes it, yummy).

My dh always says 1/2 way through his ice-cream or whatever, oh honey is this bothering you?????

Just remember that we all have these feelings, if you don't WOW What willpower - send me some

Hang in there - when you get the cravings - just log on and let us know - we are all here for eachother!!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Also, please be sure to get variety in your meals. Check out the revised food lists in the FAQ and the recipe sections. There is no need to be bored with meals on this plan particularly in Phase II. If you do go way off plan, you may find cravings return and it will be very hard to get back on track.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
hello everyone i been on sbd for a month been adjusting well but there are days that i want to throw the towel. what i mean is that sometimes i would like a variety of foods beside the ones that are listed in the book. anyone feel this way i know that we are changing our eating habits for life but sometimes a want to be bad for just one meal I'm i over reacting about the whole situation you guys tell me.
what are you missing? I find that we've been on the beach since May 1, 2006 and we miss almost nothing. yes once in a while we 'splurge' but nothing really bad.

what do you want to be bad with???? maybe we can figure out a way to make it 'good' so you can have it anyway.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #5  
susanb1960

S/C/G: not sure yet

Height: 5'7"

The one huge problem I have found with the splurge meal...is that sometimes it turns into the splurge day...and then the splurge week...and I think you see where I'm going. With this new way of eating, I have lost a lot of the cravings I had but not all.... it's always going to be a struggle and yes we are in it for the long haul. Just a caution... I think I'm probably talking to myself more than others!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

While I am not a SBDer DH is and he occasionally wants a 'splurge' but he tries to limit it to one thing. For example he wanted Spaghetti and Garlic Bread so he used the whole wheat pasta my WeightWatcher Core (which is very close to SBD) Spaghetti Sauce recipe and had a slice of garlic bread even though it was white flour bread (still it had no sugar). One night he wanted a piece of cake at a birthday party so he had a piece but he stayed on track with his SBD program the rest of the day.

Same with me on WeightWatchers Core there are times I want something that isn't 'entirely' on program so I have it but get right back on track with the next meal/snack.

If you don't let it snowball like susanb said and let one little splurge turn into a day splurge into a week splurge to being totally off your program then have something and enjoy it and get back.

This is just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

This way of eating has to be something you can live with for the rest of your life or you won't maintain your weight loss.

If there are foods that you really want, we need to help you figure out a way to include them in your diet.

Maybe it will be something you eat once a week or once a month or only on special occassions.

After you've eaten this way for awhile you may notice that you don't like some of you old favorites. I used to love PopTarts, now they don't taste as good as I remembered.

There are times that I eat things that aren't the best for me. But I try to plan them. When I know that I'm going to a cookout, I plan ahead what I'm going to splurge on. It may be a nice burnt hot dog on a bun and a handfull of chips. But I try to keep it to one portion and don't go over board.

In the past I could easily eat a bag of chips, several hotdogs and a plate full of other not so wise choices while smooshing with friends. Then unbotton my pants, roll myself to the car and pass out at home from a food coma.

Now, I make sure that I'm smooshing with the friends away from the food table. I've actually increased the variety of foods I eat since changing the SBD, way more types vegetables, beans, lentils, and soy type products.

I have found that like others have mentioned, it's easy for a splurge or cheat meal to become a day, then a week. I did it once for Christmas, it was going to be just a couple days before Christmas and then it went into the week before New Years...I think it basically was about a month before I finally got back into control of my eating. Took me another 2 months to lose the weight that I had gained.

So what is it that you are feeling deprived of? What are you missing that's making you feel like this? Share, share. We are a faunt of information and experiences.

Sarah
Old 09-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #8  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I'll pipe up too. I ALWAYS want to be bad. I want ice cream. I want potatoes. I want beer. I want fried food. I want nachos. I WANT I WANT I WANT.

Only problem with me is... if I splurge, then I decide that I don't have to eat right for the next month. Ohhh, I'll start over tomorrow. Ohhh, I'll start over Monday. Ohhh, I'll start over October 1st. Before you know it, I've gained back half the weight I lost.

I will say that the Abs Diet (which is 1/3 of my diet combo) tells you to have 1 meal off per week because it helps keep you from hitting a plateau by mixing up what you're eating, and also, it helps keep you from binging completely. Now, some people may have that meal off and go nose-first into a binge and are better off without it.

I, personally, am going to count beer night as my 1 meal off. It's not going to send me over the edge with white flour, sugar, potatoes, etc, and I only drink on Friday nights anyway so why the heck not, right? (On the Abs Diet, beer is listed under "Consume Rarely.") We'll see how it affects me.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I have to say that I totally agree with the sisters who started 3FC (and wrote a fantastic book, 3 Fat Chicks: Because We're All In This Together, about dieting that reviews tons of plans and gives great advice! You can purchase it through Amazon using the link in the stickies on this page...). They say that you can lose weight on any plan...what you have to do is reduce calories in and increase calories out. That said, they also remind us that your success is often due in no small part, to picking a plan that works for you. If you can eat the things that you are craving in moderation, you may find yourself doing better with a plan like Weight Watchers, which works more on moderation of amount/portion size than on restricting any specific food groups. But if, like me, you find that when you eat those things, you crave more and more and just can't stop, then SBD might be for you.

When you are on SBD, have done P1 totally, you can easily give those things up, in my experience. Your mind may still want them (and oh does mine sometimes!!! ), but your body won't...so it's MUCH easier to cope with. Your mind wants them not because they taste good (though they may) but because you want something else...and you have learned to substitute food for whatever that is. As cheesy as it may sound, what Oprah said years ago is right. These are "pounds of pain", chickies. We feel not good enough...and we eat. We feel scared, anxious, worries, bored, alone, suffocated, whatever...and we eat.

To lose this weight, and lose it for good, we have to fight that urge to eat what doesn't help us and doesn't make us feel good afterwards.

That said, there's NO reason why you shouldn't enjoy what you're eating or force yourself to eat things you hate! You can learn to like healthy things by cooking them in ways that you enjoy. Some things may never become something you're fond of...I don't think I'll ever love brussel sprouts, lima beans, or fennel. I've tried them a gazillion ways and they just don't do it for me. But I've learned to love tons of veggies when I used to eat none at all.

Variety is the key to this diet (and any, I think!) When you feel bored with what you're eating, you're more apt to quit. Check out our amazing recipe forum for tons of ideas!!! Check out other cookbooks...I love vegetarian ones, ones that are low-carb directed (but check out the ingredients to make sure it's SBD-safe and be ready to make substitutions!), the SBD ones, The Good Carb Cookbook, and my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE, Cooking Light. CL is SO easy to SBD-ize...I never get through even a third of the recipes I could make each month and I cook almost entirely from their magazine. You can get recipes online for free for a month (you have to register though...), buy the magazine, or buy/borrow the yearly 'yearbooks' or other cookbooks by CL. If you have trouble modifying a recipe, post here and we'll all help!

There are almost no items that you can't make SBD-friendly and eat in Phase 2 other than things that call for carmelizing of sugar, like creme brulee. Otherwise, it's totally possible. When I crave something, I make it for myself and eat healthy portions of it. Is there something in particular you're craving? Let us know and let's figure out how you can make it, okay?

In addition, if you plan an off day or meal, just plan ahead! Don't feel guilty and get on Phase 1 immediately so you can head off those cravings. Do P1 just until the cravings are gone--3 to 5 days for most people. I find that doing P1 is not worth the cheat most of the time, but I know I have the option. When I went to France earlier this year, I was off plan the entire time. I ate a lot of fruits and veggies, I walked and took the stairs everywhere, but I ate a lot of French carbs too! I enjoyed it, but I felt awful physically compared to how I feel now. I was relieved to do P1 when I got home, but I'm glad I did it...it was quite the experience!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #10  
chela

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
what are you missing? I find that we've been on the beach since May 1, 2006 and we miss almost nothing. yes once in a while we 'splurge' but nothing really bad.

what do you want to be bad with???? maybe we can figure out a way to make it 'good' so you can have it anyway.
i have one example chinese food and fast food ect. i want the real thing i don't want it to be substitute.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 AM   #11  
chela

thank you ladies for your support i really appreciated and the only thing that stops me from eating those foods is because i don't have control over those foods and i been seeing some changings in my body that were hard to get if it weren't for this life style changes like i said i got adjusted and I eat my foods in a normal routine and i look forward to my ending results in my journey as a success story so you know you have days like this and you know right from wrong i don't want to have a relapse and not have control. so I need your support and advice . thank you thank you i was afraid if i didn't talk to someone about how i was feeling then i would of done something that i would of regret later i not saying that splurging is wrong but when you don't have control of the situation you are better of not eating it. well that's my situation once again thank you for your support i love you guys i feel like i have all this sisters.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
i have one example chinese food and fast food ect. i want the real thing i don't want it to be substitute.
I miss chinese food too. but i make stir fry at home a couple of times a week and that helps.

as for fast food... not sure what you miss about it and why you want it the thought of what it does to me and how nasty it tastes turns me so off now.

WHAT i do miss is convienence. I miss that I can't 'order a pizza" for a quick dinner for the family. I miss NUKE something in 20 minutes we have dinner.

What freaks me out now is that I COOK everything from scratch... I miss being lazy.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Quote:
What specific chinese food are you craving? There are many dishes that are not bad. Of course the most popular tend to be the worse-those deep fat fried things with lots of sugary-sweet sauces. My dh is Chinese and we eat predominately chinese food.

Yes, your right about fast food, there really are no good substitutes. And if you are craving the deep fried, sweet sauce chinese stuff, there is no substitutes for that either.

So maybe you can plan a day and get some, just remember that a serving of a main dish in a chinese place could easily feed 3-4 people. (depending on your place of course). Plan in advance so that you don't go over board and know that it's ok and you'll go back to eating on plan the very next meal. You probably won't lose much that week that you indulge, but if you're careful you probably won't gain either. I guess what I'm saying is everything in moderation, once in awhile.

Good luck
Sarah
Closed Thread