Old 09-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #1  

Question What's the deal with salt cravings??

I've been having serious salt cravings for about a week now. I know that other times when I crave foods it ends up being for a real reason... For example, if I physically crave cheese and look at what I've been eating lately, I'll find I'm lacking in protien. Or something like that. So what the heck could be causing my salt cravings? Anyone have an idea? I'd just like to rationalize it so I don't feel like I'm part horse, needing a salt lick Am I losing some essential nutrient that I'm not replacing, and my body is trying to tell me to restore?

And logically following that, anyone have any good salty snack ideas? Chips are not an option, obviously... I guess I could salt up some popcorn, but I don't really like popcorn that much. Any ideas?

I also know salt's not that good for me and will make me retain water therefore not allowing me to see weight loss etc, but I have to believe that this salt thing is only temporary.... Thanks ladies
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #2  

Baked chips (baked cheetos YUM), Grilled/Sauteed veggies with some salt on them, Low Cal soups...
Sometimes when I am craving a certain thing (chocolate especially) I'll have something opposite of what I'm craving (then I'd have something salty)...it sucks at first, but sometimes it helps...
Distraction works too...
Goodluck!
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #3  

Chex mix (home made) with worchestershire sauce (spelling??) and salt, garlic etc...then you can add peanuts, almonds for protein...also salted almonds are great
Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #4  
Proud US Navy Wife

Maybe you're not getting enough sodium? That's the only thing I can think of, reason-wise.
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #5  
Goodbye Fat!

At lunch today I was having a salt craving. There is always a jar of pickle chips in the frig at work so that is was I went for. No fat and low in calories. You just need a few to calm that craving. I always get a craving for salt during that TOM not chocolate.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 213/213/139

Height: 5'7"

dehydration will cause salt cravings as well as low blood pressure
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I was thinking dehydration too. Your body is thinking, I am not getting enough water, what can i do to get water. Ah ha, salt will make me get some water. Because your body might be thinking, oh there is a dry spell, better get ready to retain it, cause you never know when water might come around again.

Try drinking at least 8 glasses a day for the next couple of days. Let your body know there is no shortage of water and see if it lets go of the salt.

I believe your theory. Your body craves things for a reason. it doesnt mean we should give in to the cravings, it means we need to fix the problem and figure out why we are craving what we are. so i think you had a great question.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #8  

dollypie...i thought you meant pickle CHIPS...like potato chips haha...I don't like pickles, but LOVE dill pickle chips! Makes my mouth water just thinking about how sour they are LOL
Old 09-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

Height: 5'3"

I like salt on my watermelon...or beef jerky...or pickles...but I do have a tendancy to retain water with alot of salt.
Button_ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #10  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

I LOVE pickles!! Absolutely LOVE them!! Problem is, I can eat an entire jar in one setting.. And I retain water soooo bad ... But, i can't resist.
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #11  

thanks for the help, guys..... the dehydration thing makes sense when I think about it, I'll try to focus on getting lots of water and see if that helps! Thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 213/213/139

Height: 5'7"

I get really bad salt cravings the week before TOM. My blood pressure dips a little then.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by card View Post
dehydration will cause salt cravings as well as low blood pressure
so can adrenal burnout.
csoar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 246/244.2/146

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get n healthy View Post
I was thinking dehydration too. Your body is thinking, I am not getting enough water, what can i do to get water. Ah ha, salt will make me get some water. Because your body might be thinking, oh there is a dry spell, better get ready to retain it, cause you never know when water might come around again.

Try drinking at least 8 glasses a day for the next couple of days. Let your body know there is no shortage of water and see if it lets go of the salt.

I believe your theory. Your body craves things for a reason. it doesnt mean we should give in to the cravings, it means we need to fix the problem and figure out why we are craving what we are. so i think you had a great question.

I think that sounds right. But I think I remember also something about lowered dopamine levels can cause salty cravings. I have this problem alot and I drink alot of water. I don't ever crave sweets, just salty crispy things. (fries, chips, cheezits, etc..) I love salted cucumbers and tomatoes (not alot just a dash) You don't need alot of salt, but you need the iodine in it for proper thyroid and metabolism function.
CherryCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #15  

So I wonder if I was having an iodine deficiency moment? That sounds like such a strange thing to be deficient in... but such are the demands of our bodies. The cravings have abated a lot, having slowly built up for a week and peaked when I started this thread. In the meantime, I've gotten more sleep and less caffiene... added a little salt to food (trying not to overdo it)... and made sure to get some decent amount of water (at least 3/4 of what I should get). It also dawned on me that TOM was coming (today), so that could have been it too. Sounds like a whole bunch of things were conspiring against me!

PS Adrenal failure? That sounds awful, but I don't know what it is. I hope that's not me!