Old 09-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #1  
I'm a loser, baby!

S/C/G: 314/198/155

Height: 5'10"

Default C25K for heavier people?

Has anyone done the C25K at a higher weight?
pgray1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I started C25k (Couch to 5K running program) when I was about 270 pounds. I'd been walking a lot before that, and wanted to go the next step (no pun intended).

First thing I did was go to a real running store and get proper footwear. I talked to them ahead of time, so they knew I was coming. I told them my concerns about my weight, my wide feet, and about the tingle-toes I often get when exercising in shoes. So they were prepared when i got there with good-stability shoes, in a wider width, and they taught me different lacing techniques that might help my tingle-toes (and did).

That done, I began the plan. I did week 1 three weeks in a row (walk 60 seconds, jog 30, and keep alternating) until I felt I could increase to week 2.

I was seriously amazed when I got to week five. I hadn't really thought I could do it. But after those first few weeks of easing into it, my body "caught up" very quickly.

I stayed at 25 minutes jogging for about 2 weeks, then got sick, and lost all my momentum. Now, with school started and my life more hectic than ever, I'm not sure when I could try it again. But I'm awfully glad I did. It gives me such confidence to look back and realize I could do something like that... to RUN at my weight.

That being said, when you're morbidly obese, there are a few things you need to keep in mind with something as strenuous as running:

* See your doctor and make sure you are okay for this kind of exercise.
* Get proper shoes.
* Go SLOWLY. I "jogged" slower than a walk for most of the program. If you get side-stitches or shin splints or knee pain, SLOW DOWN!
* Get proper shoes.
* Don't worry about having to go to The Next Week. Repeat a week if you feel the need to. Listen to your body.
* Get proper shoes!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I didn't do C25K, but I used a similar approach to building up my running and started when I was pretty heavy. I think I ran my first 5k at about 220lb, but that was at the end of the programme rather than the beginning, so I must have started significantly heavier than that.

I'd agree with getting proper shoes, also a sports bra. Start slowly, don't worry about taking walk breaks, slow down, take it slow, build up slowly, and remember that you're meant to be enjoying yourself! It's hard at first, but long term it's a fantastic way to get out into the fresh air and see more of your local area, particularly if you can find some scenic routes.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

pgray, I'm toying with the idea of starting the C25K program reasonably soon myself. I walk pretty frequently and I keep building up my speed. I didn't plan to start jogging soon because I thought I was too heavy (though I've jogged a little at around 230 before). I'm tempted to start and go really really slowly. My goal is to run an actual 5k next September, so I have plenty of time, but I'm also anxious to start.

I weigh 250 and this weight is going to come off slowly, so I hate to wait until I'm under 200 because that could be ages. My other concern is that I broke my ankle a few years ago and it swells sometimes. I used to be worried about walking or running on it, but if all that metal they put in there doesn't hold it together, I don't know what will! I'm just calling it the Bionic Ankle now and pretending it's stronger than ever. Otherwise, I'll use it as an excuse.

pgray, maybe you and I can do the C25K program together and commiserate about our sore legs here on the board!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I didn't do that exact program, but something like it, although I was training for a 10k. I was around 250 when I started, and I started slowly. I only gave myself 8 weeks before I did the 10k, although I did end up running around half of it. To copy nike, Just Do it!! It's very empowering. A running coach told me not to expect to lose .5-1 pound a week with running because you are building muscle.. which was really good to hear because I GAINED a couple pounds when I first start. Also... take measurements, they changed SO much on me, more than my weight did. Enough rambling from me..

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:28 AM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

LisaMarie71 - don't worry about your ankle, or not much anyway. I broke my ankle in January 2003 in two places. I've got a plate down the outside of my leg, and three pins holding the bone on the inside of my leg together. I had to take it carefully when I first started, and build up slowly, and I find that leg/ankle/foot flares up more often than the other, but only very occasionally (compared to the other leg which hasn't given me any trouble at all), and if I can run a marathon on it (hopefully!) I reckon it's pretty much good for anything now. The doctors said that it would be stronger (but less flexible) than before I broke it, and I think they're probably right.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

That's what I figured about the ankle -- stronger with all the metal (I have 12 pins and a plate) but not quite as flexible. That's how it feels, now that I'm really USING it.

By the way, Helen, I'm so glad you responded to this thread because I've seen some of your posts and I've dipped into your blog a few times. You're such an inspiration to me, because you're where I want to be in about a year. I started with 110 pounds to lose and now I've got 82 left so I'm 1/4 of the way there (as of this morning -- woohoo!) and seeing your success makes me feel like I can do it. My husband is a hardcore runner (he even coaches it at our school), so he inspires me too but in a different way. I WILL run a 5k next year!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I also read this BLOG for inspiration. She has done many marathons and has an amazing transformation.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP1 View Post
LisaMarie71 - don't worry about your ankle, or not much anyway. I broke my ankle in January 2003 in two places. I've got a plate down the outside of my leg, and three pins holding the bone on the inside of my leg together. I had to take it carefully when I first started, and build up slowly, and I find that leg/ankle/foot flares up more often than the other, but only very occasionally (compared to the other leg which hasn't given me any trouble at all), and if I can run a marathon on it (hopefully!) I reckon it's pretty much good for anything now. The doctors said that it would be stronger (but less flexible) than before I broke it, and I think they're probably right.
My injury sounds a lot like yours... I'm still super conscious of rolling it, but I do agree that while it's not as flexible, it's way stronger. I did make them take the hardware out and that also made a huge difference.

I'm finding that I do have "flare ups", but it never prevents me from doing anything, and for that I am grateful. I think it's more of a mental game than anything as I step on the broken ankle as though I'm still trying to protect it.

Anyway, if you have never run before, start slow. I didn't even begin running until I had lost weight and I'm still at a ridiculously slow pace, but that's ok because it's certainly more than I ever did when I wasn't running. I took my best friend to the track- she has about 50 or so pounds to lose and is a smoker, so I did intervals with her. She made the same mistakes I did, which was starting out at a sprint and not being aware that she could go a lot longer if she would slow it down a bit. I did give her the C25K sheets and she said it sounded good to her. Good luck!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Thank you for posting your question pgray. Before this pg, I was considering the idea with the idea of starting the C25K program, but thought I was too heavy. I wanted something that was challenging to alternate with the walking. The responses have very helpful and informational. I think after this baby is born, I might try it out like Synger suggested and repeat the weeks as needed.

Last edited by hautbois; 09-14-2006 at 05:31 PM.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote