Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-31-2006, 11:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Talking Tips and Tricks to keep the ball rolling!

What kind of things do you do that helps you keep on going with your lifestyle change every day?

First thing in the morning, before I even get a chance to THINK otherwise, I start making oatmeal for breakfast. I don't even give myself time to have a second thought, lol.

I always keep my water bottle by me at work, so I can sip sip sip throughout the day. If it gets empty... then I go fill it up right away.

I've heard that some people prepare their stuff the night before, I don't do that.. but maybe I should try?

So, lets all learn from each other and get some good, helpful ideas about how to keep from falling of the wagon and giving into temptation.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Yeah I make my lunch for the week during the weekend and portion it out for myself during the week. Then again, it's brown rice and the same curry that I take everyday. I have a high tolerance for eating the same foods months at a time. That would be why I gained all that weight - I never (still haven't) lost my love for Chinese. Anyway, I also pack my lunch before I start to get ready for the day. That way, I can't talk myself into buying lunch at a pizza place or some such thing. I also keep bills greater than $1* in my wallet and change less than $0.75 so I'm not tempted to go to the vending machine. That has worked quite well actually. Yesterday was the first time since December that I have been to the vending machine but I was good and splurged on a salted peanut pack. YUM.

*I've convinced myself that my vending machine refuses to accept any bills greater than $1. I'm not going to check and see if it does because then I'm .
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #3  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Through the summer I have been temporarily working at a factory. The great thing is they have no vending machines, if you dont take your food your screwed. On a couple of days each week I did walk around to the shop - to buy some pop (juice). I was quite suprised by the lack of my apetite - I dint want sweets, I dont need sweets.
My mum is great to me, she makes me my lunch the night before I go to work. I either have sandwiches or fruit and a special k bar. Yey, lets get back to school, will give me the opportunity to do so much more walking in a day!
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/160

Height: 5' 5"

Sunni, I actually do something similiar to what you do. I avoid keeping any cash on me. Some fast food places don't accept debit cards, so I *can't* buy anything there. And I feel bad using my debit card when I'm just spending under five bucks. It's a great way of keeping myself from buying things I don't need and shouldn't eat. No more gas station junk food for me!

I, too, keep a glass of water with me at all times during work. The glass holds about 30 oz of water, so I try to time it so that I drink two glasses before lunch and two glasses after lunch. I drink a glass with dinner, and another glass in the evening. That way I don't find myself chugging three glasses of water right before bed in order to make my daily allowance. Peeing about three times a night is not fun.

I know it's been said before, but journaling my food and exercise has been helping SO much. It's crazy how much more accountable I feel when I actually write down those choices and those calories. And, when I stick to it, I feel so good when I see that list at the end of the day.

I have a dog and I walk him everyday. So, even if I don't really *feel* like walking, I still need to walk him. So, he doesn't know it, but he keeps me motivated and moving. If you have a dog, then taking him/her on a walk makes them happy and also will make you happy. I've seen tons of people do that with kids around here, too. Babies in strollers, or older kids on bicycles with their mom walking beside or behind. It's fun for the kids because they get out, and it's helping you too.

Another walking motivator is my iPod. I look forward to filling it up with music and putting it on shuffle when I walk. It's always nice to get a great song at a great moment. The world feels so awesome. And, if you don't want to drop a couple hundred on an iPod, you can always get a less expensive MP3 player. They all work in a similiar manner and give you a soundtrack to your walks, jogs, or runs.
galengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:11 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Sunni- I'm a lot like you. I can live off of the same thing for weeks and be perfectly content so it makes it easier to make a big pot of something nutritious and prepack it for the week. I must do this, otherwise I will die of starvation at work and will go to any means necessary to get something from the vending machines. I also keep an empty bottle by my side at work so I have no excuse to not drink my water

When I get unmotivated to do my cardio, I have to make sure there is something good on my iPod video- I would download Desperate Housewives or Weeds or whatever and not allow myself to watch them unless I was on a cardio machine.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I cancelled my subscription to Everyday Foods (which frequently features recipes that are 500-600 calories per serving) and subscribed to Cooking Light instead. I look at the nutritional info for a recipe first--if it is more than 400 calories per serving, I don't even bother reading it. This has to be one of the single most important things I've done; having a ready supply of low-calorie recipes has been key.

I buy the low fat, low sugar variety of everything. I also make sure I always have a lot of healthly snacks on hand, including lots of fruit, veggies, popcorn, nuts, and yogurt. I snack a lot during the day, so having these on hand is really important.

Low calorie energy/nutrition bars have also been key for me. I realize they aren't great in terms of nutrition, but they are a substitute for candy/sweets. I allow myself one per day and, especially in the beginning, they really helped satisfy my craving for sweets. I figure they've got to be better than and piece of cake or a brownie. And, as time has gone on, I don't seem to need them as much.

Trader Joe's has also been key--so many low calorie, healthy foods. Salmon patties, chicken sausages, and their ready-made salads are important emergency meals in my household. And if they ever get those banana crisps in stock again, my life will be complete. I don't know how anyone survives without a Trader Joe's.

And, of course, journaling everything I eat and planning what I am going to eat are the two single most important things that I do. I don't put any food in my mouth unless 1) I know how many calories it is, and 2) I know it fits in my calorie budget for the day. I never go over my calorie budget without planning to do so in advance (e.g., for a special occasion). Usually I journal everything I'm going to eat for the day as soon as I get up in the morning.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:54 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Plan, plan, plan! I have my menus for the week established before I go grocery shopping, and then I only buy things I will eat according to those menus. That way, there's not much extra food, no junk, etc.

I also don't carry any cash. I even only have pennies for change--vending machines don't accept pennies I've also started establishing strict financial goals for myself. For example, right now, I want to get my credit card paid off ASAP. This is in the back of my mind anytime I think about using even my debit card to buy food I don't need. Once I get my credit card paid off, I want to get a kitten (which, at my apartment, requires a deopsit, a non-refundable pet fee, and $30/month pet rent, not to mention any vet/adoption fees, food, litter, etc.). After that, I'll start saving up for a down payment on a house, paying off my car, paying off my student loans, and so on and so on...I know I don't need a Happy Meal as badly as I need a house or to get out of debt
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Bringing my lunch is key!

Also changing my outlook so I don't focus on what I can't have to eat, but rather what I can have. There are so many foods available to me on my new WOE that I don't need to focus on the few that I don't allow myself.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I have 5 sets of workout clothes, which I make sure are clean over the weekend and that I pack up every morning before work. I leave my shoes at the gym so that I always have them. I also make sure to keep good snacks at work in case I get hungry so I don't grab something I don't need. Things with some sort of protein are key for me. I always try and have a Luna bar on me for emergencies. I keep some frozen meals available for when I don't feel like cooking and I don't want to be tempted to go out.

I got myself this really cool lunch box (on Amazon look up "Mr. Bento") that makes taking my lunch really easy. I can also echo some others. My water bottle comes with me wherever I go. I love shopping at Trader Joe's. I have multiple playlists on my iPod (which I bring with me everywhere) - the pump it up mix, angry mix, cool down, etc.

And of course I come here to 3FC almost every day!
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Ok the only way i can get through it is by routine, routine, routine!!

I make a date with a friend to do my exercise sessions, so that im not just letting me down, i would also be letting her down -that gives me the motivation to get out there and do my exercise!!!

I also have to plan my meals, but unlike some of you ladies i get very easily bored, so im always looking for new recipes to keep me interested!! So if anyone has some yummy recipes pass them my way!!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:40 PM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Hmmmm. I know what I'm doing right.... and I know what I'm doing wrong.

I drink water all day, every day. The "drinking 8 glasses of water a day" has NEVER been a problem for me. I love water. I know I drink about 128 ounces per day (at least four 32oz bottles). So, no biggie there.

For breakfast I try to eat something different every other day or so. One morning I will have Frosted Mini Wheats (good fiber!) with skim milk (good protein!) and another morning I'll have eggs & a slice of wheat toast, and another morning I'll have a fruit smoothie and another morning I'll have peanut butter on wheat.

Dinner is usually a salad (I hate to cook) and sometimes soup.

LUNCH is the hardest meal of the day for me. I usually bring lunch to work; Healthy Choice meals, turkey sandwich on wheat, etc. Or run down to Subway & get a veggie delight (yum!) .... so the ACTUAL LUNCH isn't difficult, but the REST of the work day....people around here are ALWAYS bringing SOMETHING to work.... cake, pie, muffins, doughnuts, etc. Argh!! I wish they'd just STOP DOING THAT! (meany butts!!!)

My exercise habits right now are really pathetic. I'm a normal 4-day a week to the gym kinda gal, but the past few months, I've been lucky to get ONE DAY a week. And oh, how I loathe myself for that!

BUT... (here's the silver lining!) I know ME. My body, how it works, what it craves, what doesn't make any difference, etc. The one thing that keeps me going? The constant reminder that my body can't do anything good for me if I don't do anything good for it. Losing weight is good -it's healthy (if done properly) and I always feel better for it; both physically & mentally, AND emotionally! So when I get into these kind of "funks" like I've been in for the past few months, I KNOW THEY'LL EVENTUALLY PASS. And I'll be "doin' it right" again & my body will reward itself.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #12  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

This IS a lifestyle change so I am still finding that each week I have to change my food intake/workouts. I plan my meals in the morning so I know how many calories therefore how much of a workout I need. I keep track of Everything I eat. And I drink tons and tons of water I try for 80 oz but usually do 100+.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:49 PM   #13  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

On the days I workout, I put my gear in a place where I know will see it. That way I'm reminded and I don't have the excuse of not working out because something is dirty or I can't find it.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #14  

I journal all my foods in fitday. I do the whole day in the morning so I know where I stand. Some things that make this new way of life workable for me are having a rotation of three breakfasts. It's just easier if I don't have to think. I like big salads for lunch. I vary the toppings but again, not much thinking involved. I also always build in a piece of dark chocolate evey evening with a cup of tea. Knowing I'm going to have a treat keeps me from cheating.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:02 AM   #15  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I bought a treadmill, exercise bike and home gym, so now I have NO excuse to not exercise. Before, I would have used ANY excuse... too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry... you get the idea.

On a work day I try to get my exercise in as soon as I get up. That way I have made it part of my daily routine. I don't have to squeeze it anywhere else, as it already has a set time in my day.

I make sure I have healthy snacks with me whenever we go out. If we go to the zoo or some such place, I take cut up apple (soaked in lemon juice to stop it browning - you can't taste the lemon juice) and a piece of homemade fruit cake or fruit bread. If we go shopping I try to take something similar, then I am not tempted to buy something that is not as healthy, as I know I have something waiting for me in the car.

I soak my raw oats overnight, so they are ready to microwave in the morning.

I cut up most of my vegetables and put them in the fridge in water. That way it is quick and easy for me to throw some together raw to take as a snack, or as part of my lunch, or they are ready to throw together to microwave for dinner. If I had to cut each thing up before each meal I think I would be reaching for prepackaged foods more often. I do the same in summer with my salads. I make a huge container of salad - lettuce (washed and dried and torn apart), grated carrot, shredded cabbage, sliced celery - then I just take out a handful or two and top it with bits and pieces of other cut up vegetables. It truly takes hardly any time at all. I cut all of this up on a Sunday, so the rest of the week is relatively hassle free. If hubby chooses to share the salad we sometimes have to make a fresh batch mid-week, but that is still easier than making it daily. It keeps fresh enough in an airtight container as long as the lettuce is dried enough. I dry it between clean teatowels. Cos lettuce seems to last the longest that I have tried.

I am another person who could eat the same thing over and over again. I have always been like that. I tend to eat the same base, either steamed vegetables or salad, and just vary the 'extras' like protein.

That could be about it for tips from me I think. Oh... I do have three pairs of sneakers. One at home, one at work and one pair for walking to and from work. That way I never have the excuse that I don't have suitable shoes for working out.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote