Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #86

G'day all,

I am starting to feel a bit better again, don't know why I am getting all these colds etc.

It was a shock to hear of Steve Irwin's early demise. I have to confess that he did make me cringe at times however his passion for conservation etc. was quite incredible and he will be sorely missed.
He was probably more famous in America then he was in Australia. His American fame made us sit up and wonder who this character was.
I saw one of his interviews last night and he was passionate about his family, wildlife and just life in general, definitly a one off.

Glenda I certainly hope our coming summer is not going to effect my like it did you. I am no fan of the heat hence our descision to come to america in spring.

Karen I think what your weepines is, is just an age thing, I don't think this stage of our lives is all that easy. So many adjustments again and the thought that our working life is all but over, is hard to deal with.
It does make it easier when I read on the boards that we all go through our stages.

Ann many people blame sleepless nights on the full moon, I have never taken any notice when I have a sleepless night if it was a full moon.
Sorry to hear you gained when you expected to loose.

Trudy the great barrier reef is off the coast of Queensland on the east coast of Australia. Our recent trip took us to the centre and then the western side of Australia. The great barrier reef is spectacular but a lot more 'touristy'. Tasmania is a very pretty little island, known as the Apple Island because of the many apple orchards.
Tasmanians have a bit of a reputation of being a bit dense due to inbreeding!
When I was an airhostess so many years ago, I made many trips to Tasmania and I have to say they can be a little slow on the uptake.
I hope your house is almost back into some order and the inconvenience has been worthwhile.

Gloria my dh would just love to go to a ball game whilst we are in the US but I understand we will be there at the wrong time. I hope you enjoyed the game.

Bernice how awful to have a tree fall on your duaghter's friends house. I don't know what it is like in America but here you have to ask permission from the local council to cut down a tree, regardless if you planted it yourself. It has to be proven that the tree is a danger etc. before you can finally cut down the tree. In the eastern states we do have some violent storms and just about every year a tree gets blown over and does some serious damage.

Trudy cannot you buy a doll cake?????

Hope you all had a great weekend, for us it was fathers day but it wasn't a long weekend.

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #2  
Super Surfer

Unhappy No..it's the peanut allergy situation.

Maria There isn't a single bakery here that is nut free. I sat down with the telephone directory one day and went through the lot of them. The little isn't supposed to have any food that has been made in a facility that uses nuts and all the bakeries have them. They might not use peanuts, but since all nuts come from the same holding facilities, they could give her a reaction. Her birthday isn't for a long time yet, but I thought if I was going to make her something special I would have to practice. She loves princesses so I could make one look like a princess.... maybe. She was at a birthday party last week and the cake was from a local bakery. Poor cried when she couldn't have any cake. I told my DD that I would supply some decorated cup cakes to any childs birthday that she is invited to. My DD felt so bad about the situation, but what could she do? I am sure no mother would refuse some decorated cup cakes that they didn't have to make. They could still use their own cake to blow out the candles, etc. and give my little sweetie a cup cake.
This could be a good business for someone, a bakery that is totally allergy free. I am too old to start something like that now.
Birthday parties are so elaborate now. She was at 2 in the last 2 weeks, the first one had 3 ponies come to the house and took all the children for pony rides up and down the street. The second one was at a Riding Stable where the kids donned helmuts and were on regular sized horses, being led. My DD hung around for that one, she didn't feel comfortable about that situation at all. The party was near the stables.. lots of flies. Both were for 5 year olds. It seems you have to have some sort of a theme these days.

Well, that was more information than you wanted... you asked why I couldn't buy one and I wrote War & Peace.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #3  

Trudy I didn't realise that she had the allergy and secondly that it is almost impossible to buy a cake that is totally allergy free.
That must be very hard for your daughter to keep a check on everything she eats when she is outside the home.
I can imagine what todays birthday parties would be like

The next surburb over from us is a very touristy spot, it is about a 30 minute walk. We took Matilda for a walk and ended up at the 'Beach Pit', which is all sorts of fun things for kids. The only suitable thing for Matilda was the Merry go round, she just loved it sitting on a horse and going around and around.
We had some lunch and walked home again, I am now exhausted and Matilda is having another sleep!

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Default Hello, Again:

So nice to hear from you.

Bernice and Gloria I'm glad you've found a nice home with nice people to share your ups and downs.

Karen, the knee surgery sounds hard to deal with; probably very inconveninent! Other than that it sounds like you're enjoying living in Florida. I do hope the hurricanes abate!

Maria, are you still as talented as ever? I was always amazed at all the things you could do with the computer. A little genius! Congratulations on having grandchildren - I really thought you were too young! I see one is Matilda. Did I miss the name of the other? I thought you'd already been to the US and returned. Condolences on your countryman Steve Irwin.

Glenda and Ann you asked about quilting. I've done a few flannel quilts and I just finished a flannel tablerunner. I'd never worked with flannel before and I love it - so soft and manageable.

Trudy and Slavika, I remembered that you are near each other and get together from time to time. That must be enjoyable.

There was some discussion about vegetarianism. I've tried Morning Star (Chicken) and the Spicy Black Bean Burger. I like them both.

I found a little pattern for a tote in a quilting magazine. That's what I'm doing today.

Again, thanks for your kind words.

Marnie
Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all: Our Labor Day party was fun. I also played in the minature golf tournament in the afternoon, but it had been so long since I had played that between me and another gal, we helped team come in last. But the 'boobyprize' was .50. For a change, people stayed after the meal for the entertainment. It was a Bluegrass type band and very good.

Marnie: Are you making this tote in one day? Sounds like the kind of project I might be able to get interested in. Somehow I just can't get myself going on another quilt.

Maria: I'm sure all the people of Australia are greatly saddened by Steve Irwins freak accident. I could never watch him when he was wrestling with snakes. I knew he was a conservationist, but I didn't know just how much he was involved until after reading all about him now. He certainly took so many chances regularly, and always escaped any trouble, so now it seems strange
that his actual death was really an accident. Guess that when dealing with animals of all sorts, there is always that chance.
sounds like Matilda had a great walk. Tired you out, and I bet she slept well too. Whe do you plan to go back to Melbourne? Did I remember that you were planning to go back and help out with the new baby? or is that something I dreamed up?

Slavika: Hope you had a wonderful weekend at the lake.

Trudy: I was wondering- do you make the cake from scratch, or can you use a mix? I was thinking that a commercial mix could well have come in contact with nuts too. It is really a difficult allergy, and can be so dangerous to the child having it. A doll cake would be really cute. I think my step-daughter might have made one. I know she made all sorts of cake shapes. I'll ask her.

Karen- Hope you are now sleeping better. When you are all back to normal we will think about our date. It is good that you can walk Sprout some anyway. And it is too hot to powerwalk.:

Bernice: It must have been scary for your friend, if they were in the house when the tree came down. Was Ernesto responsible for that? I am glad that Florence is not coming anywhere near land, and maybe will totally miss Bermuda. Hope so for them.

Glenda: Do you use vegetable broth to make soups, and as a dressing for vegetables? There are a few Moringstar Farms products I like, and I also like Boca burgers, and the Boca pizza is good. Have you decided on a gym yet? I think that I will just eat more vegetables and cut back on meat, not give it up entirely.

Peggy- Guess you are back in the school cafeteria by now. Was it hard to get back in the 'groove'?

Gloria- did you enjoy the Sox game? For a long time they used Winter Haven as their spring training place, but then they got greedy and wanted the city to build them all sorts of fancy accomodations and new ball field, etc, and the city fathers said no. This is not a big city. So now the Cleveland Indians are here in the spring. They made some rumbles about wanting more, or leaving, but I understand they once again signed a 5 year contract. All of this reminds me of that email about golf and the fact that golfers are not tax-payer subsidized. That Tiger Wood is amazing, and he makes his money by himself and he doesn't have to go on strike to get it. Guess I better get off the soap box.

I just had a wonderful massage this morning. It always makes me feel so good. When I saw the Dr. for my follow-up he said that was a good thing, since I do have lots of back problems from osteoporosis, and arthritis. He explained that was why I had the pain in my back when the esophagus was acting up was because it is such a weak place. Who knew? And he wants me to steer clear of any antibiotics unless absolutely necessary since they are discovering a new disease of the bowel related to too many antibiotics. I can't remember the name of it, but he said it is related to E-coli and happens because all the good bacteria is killed along with the bad with excessive antibiotics. He said that even three years ago he would never have thought he would be treating patients with this problem.

Enough already! Have a great rest of the day. Ann
Old 09-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #6  
Fun Blonde

Wow, I haven't been here for awhile and you all have gotten so chatty.

First, Gloria, way to go, getting to go to the ballgame. When you do nice things for people, these nice things do come back to you sometimes. I think any big time games are such spectacles, even when they lose it is fun.

Trudy, I hope you get a cake recipe. I think your plan for the cupcakes is a good one. You might need to think about the parties she will have at school too. Do they still bring cake for birthday parties at school? You will really have to educate her and her teachers. Yes, all the young people need to rethink their priorities when it comes to BD parties. My DIL has a good philosophy. Kids come to the house, play, have a game or two, a cupcake or two and some punch and that is it. She is so against the hoopla of little kid's parties. But that is not the trend these days.

Bernice, are you a movie goer too? I want to see the Illusionist too. I have never seen such awful movies as have been offered this year. We see a movie about every week, except for the weeks when we have no weekend free. We last saw The Invincible which was pretty good. Predictable, but it is about sports, so they are always predictable. Who wants to see a movie about losers?

Well, an angry parent just interrupted me and now it is quitting time.

Ann, I only eat vegetables and have not eaten soup since becoming vegetarian. I love spicey bean burgers and sausage. They are by far my favorites and my hubby's too.

All, I will talk more tomorrow.
Glenda
Old 09-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #7  

Hi Everyone,
Well went to WW meeting and darn it I gained .8 lb. I did have a midnite binge one nite so I consider myself fortunate it was only that.
Yes the tree came down during Ernesto and if I knew how I would post the pics that they sent me. They were very lucky ,as the tree actually came thru the roof,sheetrock etc and landed on the bed. It's a good thing her hubby is a contractor ,he can fix it but I'm sure this was not in his plans.
Last nite did something stupid. Spilled a hot cup of tea on keyboard killing it and the mouse, So a trip to Staples has put me back in business.
A couple of months ago I washed and dried my cell phone. Killed that also. I don't think technology and me go together well.
My 5 yr old grandson started full day kindergarden yesterday. He loves it
and never even looked back as he climbed on the bus. Another milestone.
My daughter does Boxer rescue and the dog she has now in addition to her 2 boxers, is deaf and she is teaching him obedience with sign language.
We are house hunting up here to downsize as this house is huge and expensive to run. NJ is one of the most expensive states to live in and if my kids didn't live all around us we would go elsewhere. My problem pops up again as we look into the active adult areas as it did when we looked in Fl, as I am over the pet limit of 2. So as I refuse to alter my lifestyle we will have to come up with other ideas. In the mean time we look forward to heading South.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #8  

It's good to see everyone back at the board again. After a quiet summer. We mostly talked through email and that is good but this is fun.

Trudy, once a very long long longgggggg time ago I made a clown cake for my daughters 2nd birthday she is coming up on 40 that's why I say longgggggg. Any way in those days I had lots of patients. The clowns head was a cup cake and the cake was his ruffle and collar. I used a sugar ice cream cone for the hat and frosted it. I had a mess in my kitchen. But it did turn out cute. I only did that once. Lucky for me My kids had no peanut allergies. I wonder if you could hire some one to bake a cake in your kitchen with your stuff. So you would know what was going in the cake and frosting? Might be worth a try. If they knew the reason they might go for it.

Marnie, Good to see you again. I would like to know more about your tote too. I quilt but not big projects. Table runners stuff like that. I'm more into painting now. I was able to go back to my crafting group Wednesday. Had to miss last week Monday and Wednesday because of the knee surgery a doctors appointment. Then this Monday it was Labor Day so we didn't have crafts. I was not a happy camper. So when Wednesday came I loaded up my golf cart and was down at the club house early and ready to paint. I can do it at home too I have a room all set up but it's fun when there are friends to talk to.(me and my big mouth) This type of Knee surgery was really a piece of cake. I was down doing aerobics this morning. Couldn't do the whole tape. But did half. Don't even have to take pain pills any more. I'm walking with out a limp. I think I'm almost 100%

My friend who broke her arm Kay. Well she is now in another cast. The doctor has taken the pins out of her arm. She told me that was quite an ordeal. I told her I remember when my son had the pins removed from his elbow the sound of it was awful and I can't hear. But I could hear that ! The x rays showed the bone has stared to grow back together at least that's the way it looks lets all keep our fingers crossed for her otherwise she will have to have it reset. Not what we want to have happen.

Bernice I think you may be related to my daughter. Last night she dropped her cell-phone in the toilet. She said she really panicked because all her phone numbers are in there and nowhere else. But after she took it apart and got it dry it seem to be working. I did not ask for any more details. Good luck house hunting. My second child was born in NJ. Sorry about the weight gain. But keep on keeping on.

Ann glad your Labor Day doings were a success. They had something going on here but we didn't go. Do have a place in mind that we could meet in Lakeland that you like?

Maria Are you better now? Why do you think you been getting these colds so much? How is the new grand baby doing?

Glenda I know Ann asked but now I'm asking too. Have you found a health club to join yet? My DIL and DD are both in agreement over kids birthday party the simpler the better. This business of ponies and clowns is all going to send them all to the poor house for sure. Cake, games, party favors,few more games and let the play and have a great time. It didn't seem to hurt any of us.

Well it's time for bed
Karen
Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #9  
Web Nana

I can't believe it is September already. The cool nights are a sure sign of Fall. However, we went to the Cape yesterday partly to visit my friend but also so DH could get in another swim. He said the water was cooler 67 than it had been a couple of weeks earlier, 70. He did enjoy himself. My friend seems to be no better but no worse that a few weeks agol. Her beautiful attitude and sense of humor has not changed. He husband, 86, with Parkinson's is taking beautiful care of her...waiting on her and reminding her of her meds etc. They are such a loving couple.

Glenda and Ann:To answer you question we had a great time at the game. As I said we took the T (subway) and had to change lines in Boston. The second line was sooooo crowded. It seems that every one was of the same idea...go early and beat the crowd. It was like a cattle car. We left the house at 5 for a 7PM game and arrived at Fenway about 6:30. The seats were great and the game was OK....we decided to leave after the 7th inning as we were losing and, again, we wanted to beat the crowd. No way! By the time we had walked to the T station there were hundreds ahead of us. Then while we were waiting for the second train, in town, DH saw a young woman and her son also waiting. They, also, had been to the game and they live on our street....small world! We were home by 10:45 PM. It was a fun experience and we hadn't been to a live game in about 35 years. Maybe in another 35 we will go again

Maria:I hope you are feeling much better now! When are you going to your DD to see the baby again!

Karen: So happy to hear you are back to your old self. I knew you would bounce back from knee surgery like that. WoW! Aerobics, so soon, that is great. I hope your friend does not have any more problems with her arm. Enough is enough

Bernice: I can relate to your technical problem. When I was working as a receptionist I spilled some coffee on the keyboard and shorted out the entire phone system. I thought I would be fired but we, somehow, got thru to the company who supplied the board and they were down before the end of the day to replace it. Never heard a word from the powers that be and boy was I lucky.....never left my coffee cup anywhere near the board after that.

Ann: You Labor Day sounded like fun even if it was only the 'booby prize"

The dryer is buzzing so I will 'talk' to you all later.

Gloria
Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #10  

Gloria I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I agree it is a small world. I've run into my old WW members from Minnesota down here at Parkdale it's a Fruit and Vegetable market that is a popular place for people to go in this area. Also glad you had a good time at the cape.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #11  
Net browser

Hi Everybody: I just got finished reading ALL the posts. I really enjoyed reading about what all of you were doing. It was like having TEA TIME and all of us telling each other all about our summer and what we had done. MARNIE...it was great seeing you on the board again. Congrats on your weight loss, and BERNICE you sure are on the right track. My grandkids are back at school. This year my son and dIL decided to send my grandson (Peggy's friend) to a private School. He's a very smart child and I think the new school will give him the extra challenges that he needs. Looks like I'm not the only one that is often up at night because I can't sleep. If we all end up in the same nursing home we could play cards at night or something. GLORIA glad that you enjoyed your outing to the Red Sox game. That was a nice treat. KAREN it's great that you are doing so well. I have been going regularly for physio for my neck and back. I can't say that I am in really bad pain but from time to time during the day both give me a little bit of trouble if I do too much. ANN, there is a CURVES just down the street from me that I thought I would look into once my physio was over with. It's only a 5 min car drive or a LOL LOL a 2 mile walk (for me) to get there. Glad your weekend was good, so was mine. I did go out to the lake for the long weekend and it was wonderful watching the kids in the the boat. Grandson is a good water skier just like his Dad was. I enjoyed sitting at the back of the boat as "spottter" watching him, and my son driving and thinking back to all the summers David drove our boat while OUR son was the one that was skiing with all his friends. The years go by so quickly.
I was talking to TRUDY and I told her that many many years ago I had made a "Doll Cake" for my cousin's child. It wasn't the beautiful kind that you used to see in books but it turned out fairly decent. I made an angel food cake and put a blop of icing in the hole of cake and then put a "knock-off Barbie type doll" in the centre and stuck her feet in the icing. I spread her princess sort of dress out over the cake and iced the remainder of the cake. I think the "real version" of this cake was to put a naked doll in the centre and ice a dress on her. I wasn't that talented. I told Trudy that this way her could play with doll when the cake was all gone. One more thing......I must have missed your post GLENDA about not eating meat. Well gals I better do a little bit of work around here. Talk to you all soon.

Last edited by slavika; 09-08-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #12  
Fun Blonde

I have about 5 minutes before I leave for the rehearsal dinner. I told you all about GG getting married. So excited!

Yes, I did join a fitness group this week. It will be a full more week before I can get in for the fitness assessment but so far have walked on the treadmill for a hour at a time. It is a group affiliated with our hospital and there are people on walkers there and a few young people. I am going on Tuesday to the yoga class. My shins right now are so sore. But I feel so much better this week. Such a downer summer but going the othe way now, I hope.

Karen, we told you that knee surgery was a snap and you are proving it!

Bernice, you do love those pets. I understand. They are our second family. I hope to always have a furry friend. At least your friend is married to a contractor because that is a terrible thing. My son trimmed trees last April and sent a huge limb right into their family room. Thank goodness for insurance!

Cannot remember much. Happy Maria is better. Maybe you are just having a tough spell with germs. Hopefully your summer will be mild. I did enjoy the map of Australia. Wow, that is an interesting country!

Will see you next week.
Glenda
Old 09-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #13  
Super Surfer

Smile WOW, so much to read....

I wasn't able to get to my computer, and I mean that literally. There was so much jammed into this room it didn't seem possible for my DH to put anything else in it, but he did. The painter has come and gone and now we are slowly moving things back to their spots.

I cannot remember who asked me this, but Betty Crocker cake mixes will say whether or not they came in contact with nuts. Duncan Hines all come in contact with nuts and the same goes for the icing in the can. I usually try to bake from scratch, but in a pinch will use Betty Crocker. The little is aware that she cannot have nuts and will announce to everyone that she has a peanut allergy, even though she doesn't know to the extent of this problem. We were playing restaurant and she was the waitress, the first thing she asked me was if I had a peanut allergy... she is so cute.
Any tips you gals can gather from anyone about making the doll cake, I would appreciate. Might just do what Slavika suggested and use the angel food cake.
We got to baby sit last night and had so much fun with the little ones. It was nice to leave the chaos in my house and get away from it all with the children.

Bernice I laughed out loud at you today. I had a vision of you putting your phone in the dishwasher... , I am sure that is not what you did. I have come close to spilling my beverage on the keyboard, but luckily missed it. I told myself that I would never eat or drink by the computer, but that is not the case.

Glenda Who is GG? Forgive me if you explained that already... I forget easily.

I had a bone density test and got the results today.. AMAZING RESULTS, I might add. My risk of fracture has gone from serious to low risk. My doctor told me that the average 64 year old woman has a 13.6% chance of a hip fracture and now my risk is 10.6%... I was grinning from ear to ear. She is leaving up to me as to whether or not I continue with Fosamax. There is the risk of Osteonecrosis Of the Jaw now associated with Fosamax. I do have problems with TMJ (jaw joint). I could stop the drug and then get the bone density in 3 years time to see how I am doing.

Time to make something wonderful for din dins... with no idea at all the chance of this happening is slim... see you later..

Old 09-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Default The Tote

Hi Again:

I think Glenda, Ann and Karen asked about the tote I was making. It's from the Better Homes and Gardens: Quilts and More issue from Summer 2006. It's right on the front page.

I'm slow to catch on so, no, I couldn't do it in a day. I have the lining left to put in it. I will do another and follow the directions more closely!

DH is on his way home.

Marnie
Old 09-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #15  

G'day all,

wow what a lot of posts this morning

Ann your massage sounded wonderful, something I could do with at the moment! Interesting about the anti-biotics. I know you should only use them when absolutely necessary but wasn't aware of the other reasons.
I must say that little Matilda has NEVER had an antibiotic in her short little life. I know with my own, our son was always getting infections and was presribed antibiotics from a very young age

Marnie never thought of quilting with flannel, it makes sense that it would be very manageable.

Glenda hope the wedding went well and everyone had a great time. I really think you should put those angry parents in their place when you are posting to us....priorities, priorities

Bernice sorry to hear you have gained but by the sound of it, it could have been worse Glad you are back in business after the mishap with spilling tea over your keyboard. When I worked, that was a very common occurence so common that eating and drinking was banned from employees desks.
Hard decisions when it comes to down sizing
I love my home but at times I think back of the large house we had and how lovely that was. I do snap out of it when I think of the miles of vacuuming I used to have to do and the huge garden which was beautiful but heaps of work.

Karen you are sounding very chirpy, pleased the knee surgery went so well and you recovered so quickly.

Gloria
the game sounded like a lot of fun, I must say reading about the crowds that is always what puts me off going to any big event. guess I will have to start getting used to crowds if we are to spend 8 nights in New York

Good to see you as well Slavika and pleased you had a nice time at the lake. I don't know what private schools are like in Canada but in Australia, I personally think it is a very good option. I wanted both our kids to attend a private school, our daughter was very keen and went but our son refused. Both of my children have done very well for themselves with Uni degrees and good jobs. Our son maintains (he is a teacher now) that it depends on the child and everyone can do equally well in public or private but our daughter says that she would not have achieved as well if she had gone to a public school.

Trudy pleased everyone is slowly getting back in place, should all be finished by the time you get your visitors from Australia next April
I bet you were thrilled with your bone density results

Boy I am slow getting over these colds
I am not sure when we go back to see little Saskia, the original plan was for me to go over and help after s-i-l went back to work but dd is coping so well that there is no need for me to go over.
We have set up our computer camera again and we use Skype to talk to one and other during the day and I can see the instant pictures of little Saskia. Technology is a wonderful thing!
Do any of you use Skype??? I used it in the past when dh was overseas and it was a good way of keeping in touch. I then changed over computers etc and didn't get around to re-installing it again but I am now up and running again and it certainly is a very good and cheap (cost nothing) system.

Off to have breakfast....

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread