Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Default Why 18th Century Women Weren't Fat

An interesting perspective on weight: http://www.healthguidance.org/articl...r-Got-Fat.html
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #2  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Ha! that is so true.
I'm a tue believer in the fact that weightloss would not be such a bad issue if we didn't have "Fake food" and had to walk the however many miles to get what you want/need
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/139/132

Height: 5'5"

Good article. Also in general, women did a lot of labor. None of the conviences like washing machines or supermarkets. You had to busy all day long. So called "womens work" back when, a man in todays world couldnt handle.
adragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

Height: 5'3"

Dont forget corsets.....hard to eat alot with 60 lb of pressure on your lungs and mid-section.
Button_ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

When I first heard the term fainting couch, I didn't realize that it was made for that exact purpose. Apparantly, women's corsets were so tight that it made breathing difficult. Thus, fainting was an everyday occurence.

The article was interesting and made many good points. But I wonder whether it's realistic to compare the 18th century to the 21st. (Beware of rant. I'm not attempting to make excuses for our modern lifestyle, but this article reminds of the Beethoven/Abortion question you hear so often.)

1. Real food

Real, clean food is preferrable. Unfortunately, it's the processed stuff that is far cheaper and has a longer shelf life. When my husband and I go grocery shopping, he can purchase twice as much food and still pay less than me. Obesity is a big problem for those living in proverty and cost is one of the reasons why.

Once the wealthy could afford to be plump, now the wealthy can afford to be fit & trim.

6. A calmer pace of life

This article is apparantly targeting the wealthier women of the time. Believe me, there were working mother's in the 18th century. Of course, many of the occupations held in this time included physical labor. Such jobs are far and few between in American. Especially since they have been sent overseas. Now, we sit in cubicles for 8-12 hours daily.

7. Short journeys on foot

Walking when you can is awsome. Last year I lived a couple miles away from work and I loved being able to walk in the morning and afternoon. My gym was next door, so I could walk there as well. Once I started my job in the cities, I had no choice but to drive.

Few of us live close enough to town that we walk. Particularly when we're running errands and have to travel to opposite sides of town.

10. Love helps

Oh, that would be nice if love actually played a role in marriage. Few people married for love during this time. It was more about money, politics, marrying within your social status, spreading your seed and all that fun stuff.

Sure, there was female oppression. But we were THIN. Isn't that a worthy trade off?
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #6  

Height: 5`2

It helps when they live in a time where food was real and not full of additives, preservatives and junk.
Snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hehe, some are quite idealized, but some also indeed hold truth (walking often, "real" foods...). To think that what truly ruined us were processed foods, and before that, well, the advent of sugar... When it started to spread to all classes, and didn't stay only on the rich tables... Seriously, that crap started it all, in a way. After all, it's hard to bake cookies and doughnuts without the sugar to put in it.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 232/225/199

Just producing a meal often required expending energy ....catching the chicken and killing it for the supper meal, hauling water from the well or other source, .bringing in the wood or coal to keep the fire going.

while food may have been plentiful according to the article, if you lived in the city most people did not have the money to buy large amts of food or the variety that richer people had. If you lived on the farm you ate what you raised, grew or traded.

Also they had a healthier foundation starting in childhood with lots of walking and physical activity and none of the processed or snack foods the children
eat today.

Interesting though that they had a shorter life span but that had more to do with hygiene, medical care and infectious diseases than diet.
novie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:23 AM   #9  

All in all a very good article to an extent.
True about the food, and the walking, btw, maple sugar and molasses have been around for ages, and not just for the rich.
Sugar tits (blush) have been a staple for babies for forever.
(I think Adam gave too many to Cain when ever he watched him! The 1st sugar rage??)
One thing that was not brought up was the lack of birth control.
Granted they didn't have the pill induced plumpness, but they did have the added pounds baby after baby added to your body.
I think the article is true for teens and young married women, but as soon as motherhood and responsibilities to family intruded, then they did have weight problems, not NOT to the extent as today.
Weight gimmicks including vinegar and making yourself throw up have been around for ages.
They just weren't as open talking about them.
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #10  

Wow! I completely agree about the "real foods". I recently switched to organic (the first time for me) and my weight is going down and my insulin levels are stable and normal. I haven't had to change my amount of calories, just eating unprocessed food is doing the trick. I just wish it was cheaper!
Mikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Really interesting article, thanks for sharing!! I too believe that junk food is the culprit for our increasing waist lines, that and a serious lack of time to actually sit down properly and enjoy a meal and talk.
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Quote:
Just producing a meal often required expending energy ....catching the chicken and killing it for the supper meal, hauling water from the well or other source, .bringing in the wood or coal to keep the fire going.
I raise poultry and I used to do my own butchering. I can testify that I have never been so exhausted in my life as after a full day of butchering. Every muscle in your body is sore, and the last thing on your mind is eating. I did lose a lot of weight when I was doing that every weekend, come to think of it.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #13  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

The article says not found. Does anyone have a current link?
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 167/137/130

Height: 5' 2"

couldn't read the article but me and my mother where talking about this a few days ago. Not having really to do with weight but high rise jeans also contributed with shaping women's bodies. Alot of girls I know have love handles because of the ultra low-rise jeans they wear. I kinda wish high rise jeans would come back in style, haha.
guatoncita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
An interesting perspective on weight: http://www.healthguidance.org/articl...r-Got-Fat.html

Oh shucks, this site doesn't work anymore...
Golden Girl is offline   Reply With Quote