Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 01:30 AM   #1  

I get enough of eating meat, especially beef and stuff like that. I saw at the grocery store some stuff like veggie meat, etc. But those food contains lot of fat and I am wondering if it's possible to lose weight with a vegetarien menu? For me, a vegetarian menu means lots of bread and pasta. maybe am I wrong, please let me know.

Katrou
Old 08-29-2000, 05:40 AM   #2  

I have been a vegetarian for 16 years. It is not really a great way to diet. (ie. I am on this board to lose 26lbs. ) Of course substituting a hamburger with a veggie burger will decrease your fat and calories. A vegetarian diet will not equal weight loss. A healthy diet will. vegetarian or not. So if you like meat and not tofu than eat meat but in moderation. Best of Luck.
Old 09-01-2000, 08:49 PM   #3  

There are low fat vegeterian foods including burgers and hot dogs. I eat a veggie burger that is worth 2 pts, a hot dog worth 1 pt, soy protein worth 1 pt per serving. The brand I eat is Yves Veggie Cuisine. You just got to search and read the labels. Too many carbs (bread, beans etc) can sabatoge your diet so be careful. Always watch the portions.
Old 09-08-2000, 12:44 AM   #4  

I agree with jen68. It is all a matter of reading labels. I get Gardenburger veggie burgers that are 1 point and boca burgers that are 1 point. Beans are also a good source of protein. It really is just a matter of looking at products and doing research to find low-fat veggie dishes. Vegetarian Times is a great magazine to get for veggie ideas. I also agree with Leaf that it is best to eat everything in moderation. Because, regardless if you eat breads, pastas, or meat, any extra points or calories = weight gain, no matter if you ate to many calories or points from peaches or bacon. It is all the same. It IS possible to lose weight on a vegetarian diet. In fact, I believe it is easier. I began at 185 pounds and I have reached goal at 134 pounds. I am a lacto/ovo vegetarian. It is all in your attitude and how much time and effort you want to devote to doing the research and preparing and purchasing the right foods to be a dieting vegetarian. : )
Old 09-11-2000, 10:39 PM   #5  

Quorn?
Closed Thread